I'm back, bitches!

KILROY

Re: I'm back, bitches!

Post by KILROY »

Strange, ATT U-Verse is on fiber. They should have a working and protect side to switch customers to for this type of issue, unless it was a dig without calling first, like what happened to Crow. What's even stranger, is them not able to dispatch a crew until Tuesday? By chance EvilTree, do you know if your the only one down hard, or do you know if others in your area that have the same type of service are down hard also? If more than one is down hard, and a main fiber line is cut, they should have a crew that can dispatch immediately for any repair issues, especially if any businesses in the area are down also, but if it's just you, then it could be something wrong with just the fiber line to your residence, which is why they are delaying the dispatching, due to it not affecting more than one customer. Also, it depends if they have a crew available that is certified in repairing fiber that can dispatch, and when. It sucks, especially on a weekend, and a Father's Day Weekend at that, but they will credit you lost time, and if you ask, they might even give a bit more to keep your business. They did for me. Not only credited me, but cut my bill from $80 a month to $29.95 for 6 months, by myself just asking them what else they could do to make up for the time I lost. If you don't ask, you won't ever know.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Uverse only runs fiber within a mile of their prospective customers. The remaining distance is traversed by a pair of phone lines (cat5 cable), which are connected to a pair of DSL modems inside a single box, which provide a fraction of the advertised speed. At least in my case, that's how it was done.

I didn't have connectivity issues, though... just a faulty battery backup whose chirp could wake the neighborhood and slower than expected speeds.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

True 2K-3K feet is the distance that they would run a Cat5 or 6 cable for older residences off the fiber handoff. A FTTN (Fiber To The Node) connect. Newer areas would be on a straight fiber connect. A FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) connect. If it was a fiber issue, it still should have a protect side for a back-up. This is a FCC requirement for all fiber main lines. Which my company gets tickets open for to test out to locate and verify where the break is by throwing up soft loops along the fibers path, or testing head to head with a field tech in particular areas. That is why my company has remote access to all consumer providers transmission and data lines, so when there are issues we can help them test out their lines remotely to try to isolate the issue(s).
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

vistalize wrote:My Internet just went out too. Att u verse high speed... wtf is going on with these mother fuckers I can't even get a tech out here till tuesday..... better believe their gonna credit me for days lost. Fuckin Crow u jinxed me dude
:roflz:
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

I found out my neighbor started digging and hit a line knocked out a few of us on high speed u verse. They had a crew out Sunday and was fixed by that night. Guess the other guy who got knocked out was able to set an appointment earlier than I was
EvilTree{OZ}
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Good, they got you back up earlier than I thought!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Why is it that when one dolt digs up a cable, everyone effected has to schedule separate appointments? Wouldn't it make more sense for the ISP to reconnect all of the severed lines simultaneously?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I could explain this, but it would take a lot of space and time. This site explains it pretty good:

http://www.cablinginstall.com/articles/ ... works.html
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

TL;DR. Still dumb.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Ditto, I hear ya.