Pickup Games Issue

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Pickup Games Issue

Post by perrinoia »

Oh snap. Ya learn something new every day.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I've got some ideas on how to script it, but have writers block when it comes to dealing with AFK players or those who wish to remain observers.
What do you mean when you say those who wish to remain observers? Not letting one stay in obs? I can understand one who is in AFK taking up a slot for one who wants to play. Is this the same for one who want's to obs? I, myself obs more than play now, due to one, having an injury and not able to play. Sometimes just want to watch instead of play, like watching a good sport game on the tube, or watching those who are playing to see if they are playing fairly.
For clarification, the players were only able to join teams because the match was not yet started from the countdown timer.
Is there a way to fix this? If not, that was why I was recommending to re-lock the backup server and list the password, so whoever joins it, knows it's for pickups only. So if they join, and start doing the wrong thing, it's an immediate ban.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, I was referring to people like you who enjoy watching the game and don't want to be assigned to a team during the tournament.

I dunno how the current team captain system works as i wasn't aware thre was one, but in my experience, team captains were given admin and they forced players to teams.

Often a player they chose would be afk or demanding they be removed from the team prior to the start of the match and this would hold up the start as they would never press ready.

I was trying to imagine a more seamless approach that would prevent such delays in the game.

Simply unlocking the teams and disabling the default annihilation fair teams option would solve those issues as players would be able to chose their own teams, but would unbalance the game. Hence why I'd balance the teams by preventing the team with the most live players from spawning.

It'd be a really simple script to write for 2 team matches. Slightly more difficult for multi-team missions.
Essentially, I'd amend the spawn player function to check if this player's team has more live players than the other. Cancel spawn if true, increase live player count for this team if false. Then I'd amend the player killed function to decrease the live player count for that team. Much like deployable item limits. Except comparing to the other team's count rather than a fixed limit.

This would work whether auto respawn was enabled or not, however it would cycle players unpredictably if we relied on dead players mashing their buttons to respawn. Thus enabling auto respawn would be ideal, and everyone's mouse would last longer.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, I was referring to people like you who enjoy watching the game and don't want to be assigned to a team during the tournament.
Oh ok, so, I have a solution for all this, pull all my support, and just put a soft loop on the server's IP taking it down. Problem solved! :ttup: :chillin:
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Huh? I think you misunderstood me.

Some people wanna play. Others wanna watch. I wanna make it so the individuals choose rather than an admin, while keeping the gameplay balanced. :hpat:

No need to threaten the server in response. Besides, the server goes down every time crow forgets to pay the bill anyway. Nobody would believe it was you. :trolol:
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Oh no man, I think you misunderstood me also...I was just j/k'ing around. Sorry, should have relayed it.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Sorry. As a former server host, I don't find Denial Of Service threats humorous, especially from someone who is definitely capable of doing it.