Lots of game crashes on the new LM server

OldGuy

Lots of game crashes on the new LM server

Post by OldGuy »

I've been having a lot of hard crashes during game play. When I say hard crash, I mean my entire PC locks up. I have to hit ctrl-alt-del and log off the PC. Yesterday I couldn't even do that. I'm hearing quite a few folks talking about crashing. Seems to come and go. Not sure if it's map related or not. Super annoying. More annoying than me mouthing off in chat. ;-)
KILROY

Re: Lots of game crashes on the new LM server

Post by KILROY »

Thanks OldGuy for bringing this up!

Would you be able to give any more details...like number of players on, what you were doing when the lock-up happened, or is it more than one map, or just one, or are there a bunch of defenses already deployed with players on, where you actually playing in the map, or in arena?

As for the server itself...I was told it's being hosted in Chicago now, instead of Dallas, due to more of the people who played on the server lived closer to that area and would be receiving a better ping. Not sure if that would cause an issue as your describing or not.

Have you or another played on the server that is still in the Dallas area? And if so, is that one having any issue's like the one your describing?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

KILROY wrote:Would you be able to give any more details...
  • number of players on: 2-6
  • what you were doing when the lock-up happened: seemed to be random
  • is it more than one map, or just one: more than one
  • are there a bunch of defenses already deployed with players on: some but not a lot
  • where you actually playing in the map, or in arena: Seemed to be random
NOTE: I "think" they were all night maps. But not 100% sure.
Synsilliusarian

Post by Synsilliusarian »

Hey guys! I hope you are all doing well!
I was in the game when OG was experiencing his crashes. I noticed too that others (Stupid Duh Duh, and Luna primarily that I remember) were also experiencing a lot of crashes, however when OG would crash, it just gave the message that he had dropped, whereas Luna and Duh's gave the LastHope error message before kicking them. As OG stated, this was mostly on night maps, however there were a couple of daytime snow maps this also occurred on.
Additionally, earlier the same day, Luna, another player (can't remember his name, not a familiar face), and I were in the server when it seemed that my laser turrets were not tracking, but the flame turrets were. I actually witnessed the other player walk right in front of my laser turret in spawn armor with no effect. The admin functions for the turrets had been untouched so I do not think it had anything to do with this. Shortly after I brought this to Luna and the other's attention, the server completely dropped all three of us, with a message saying "The server has gone down." It was immediately back up, and turrets were back to normal. I have no idea if any of this is connected to other's crashing issues, but it was strange enough that I thought it to be worth mentioning.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Are we talking about Owners server in Chicago or the 6.0 version server? I've never had a lockup from tribes so bad that I couldn't recover to the desktop with ctrl + alt + delete or alt + tab or by forcing a log out and then log back in. Could this be a windows version issue? Are you guys on Windows 10? There might be some key presses to try for sure to kill the tribes.exe process on win10. I have noticed most of my crashes come from playing A_Snipers_Dream map lately.

[quote="Synsilliusarian"][/quote]
Sounds very odd for sure about the lasers not tracking. I always try to make a point of not restarting the server if there's any game ongoing and lately the only restarts I've done have been through joining the server and using the admin function to restart the server. Also no admins are ever actively watching the servers chat messages at this point because that would require being logged into the servers telnet and I don't know of anyone who uses it anymore. Unless an admin is in the server with you there's probably nobody reading and reacting to anything said in game. Chat messages and everything that happens in game is saved to a console text file that can be searched, but that's about it. Maybe Owner uses telnet for his server?

It's possible someone else reset it or it just happened to crash because it was already under performing for some reason. If the server is under a lot of load and lagging etc. it will also cause people to be kicked with the version/lasthope messages given as a reason. If the server was under so much stress that the turrets weren't even tracking, that would certainly be something I would like to see.

Need some demos for more info, though, or actual map names. The print screen key will take a screenshot and put it into your tribes/temp folder automatically. If you crash out maybe take a screenshot from the server browser of what map the server is on. In game if you click the 'record demo' checkbox before joining the server the game will automatically save a .rec file in your tribes/temp folder which you can watch in game under demos or send to other people so they can watch it.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

AnniDv6 wrote:Are we talking about Owners server in Chicago or the 6.0 version server? I've never had a lockup from tribes so bad that I couldn't recover to the desktop with ctrl + alt + delete or alt + tab or by forcing a log out and then log back in. Could this be a windows version issue? Are you guys on Windows 10? There might be some key presses to try for sure to kill the tribes.exe process on win10.
We're talking about the current Dallas LM server. When I crash, all I can do is ctrl-alt-del and log out of windows. Alt-tab works but nothing responds to mouse clicks.

What's interesting is, when I do ctrl-shift-esc to bring up the task manager, it comes up and I can tab between tribes and task manager. But there's what appears to be a slightly opaque whitish tint to the screen and I can't interact with any of the windows. It's as if there's a layer on top of windows kind of like what you see on a website that uses a mask to prevent you from interacting with the main content.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Thanks guys for taking the time to bring more details to this issue.

EDIT: NVM OldGuy on the below statement. You don't have access to the back-up Dallas server, it's passworded, and I don't even have access to it. So it's the main Dallas server.

OldGuy, when you say this is happening on the Dallas server...is it the main server, back-up server, or both?

Not sure if any modifications have been done recently on any of the servers, but I do know certain things are being looked into for future updates.

AnniDv6...on your statement of admins reading the ongoings in the chat menu...I'm probably one of the only one's that does, but due to not being on a server as much anymore due to work issue's, and not having access to the log's, I don't see much on what's happening. I can only go by loyal players like OG to help to relay any issue's. But even then, I can only help in asking questions on this forum to help in seeing what the problem could be. And thanks for mentioning on how to take a screenshot or record and what happens to it when doing so. And for those who don't know, there are different types of free programs online you can use to edit the recording you took to help shorten it so you don't have to submit something real lengthy.

K, not sure if Owner knows about this post yet, I'll send him a PM on it just in case.

K, now back to my work...had a retired army major Chaplin who adopted two children overseas, and at the same found a wife in Thailand. Bought some land, had a home built, and bought a new Chevy Suburban, problem, his internet was hacked which allowed the hacker(s) to get financial information from him and some other stuff. Working with the FBI to track this person(s) down.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

OldGuy next time you get a tribes crash like that where you can actually pull up the task manager, but can't use or see your mouse try looking closely at pressing the Tab key.

Tab should highlight and cycle through different parts of the task manager menu. You can press ctrl + alt + delete and open the task manager to practice this and see what I mean. After pressing Tab you can use the left and right arrow keys to cycle to a new menu. Once on the menu you want to scroll into Press Tab again and then press the up and down arrows to cycle down into the line items. You ideally want to go into the 'Processes' tab and then down arrow down until you are highlighting the Tribes.exe process. Now you can press Alt + E to 'execute' or end the process. Press Enter on the prompt menu. You can open up tribes and then ctrl alt delete into your task menu to practice this as well. Hope that helps.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

AnniDv6 wrote:Tab should highlight and cycle through different parts of the task manager menu. You can press ctrl + alt + delete and open the task manager to practice this and see what I mean...
AnniDv6, I'm just trying to describe how my system acts during the most recent Tribes crashes. I know how to use the hot keys and none of that works. When I get the dialog box where Windows tells me Tribes isn't responding, it's all over. All I can do at that point is ctrl-alt-del and log out. I've never seen that screen state with the whitish overlay where I can't interact while alt-tabing.

I use IntelliJ's IDEs so Ive seen high resource usage. Especially when using emulators during Android development. But never like these Tribes crashes. Something is different this time around.
Synsilliusarian

Post by Synsilliusarian »

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know we are still having some issues with crashing. Got on today during a Stonehenge mission. Luna, blueberries, and Duh were all in the server before I joined. They did not experience any crashing until after I joined. As soon as I joined, I almost immediately started to use the Bomber vehicle, to dive bomb their defenses. Almost as soon as I started doing this, everybody started dropping/crashing. I had one hard lockup when I tried to stop the vehicle and type. The vehicle "landed" on the terrain, part of it went below the terrain and I instantly locked up. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Tab through to select Tribes.exe and end it manually.

Could this be related to vehicles? Or perhaps the mortar explosion animation, or sound? Luna mentioned something about crashing as soon as she fired a nuke and it detonated. Both the vehicles and nuke launcher use the same mortar explosion animation(s), so could this be related?
On the Chicago backup server, I have crashing problems while using, or witnessing Nuke launcher explosions. I crash often when nukes detonate. Particularly on certain maps, such as Sniper's Dream. I don't have the crashing issue on the 6.0anni version, that I have on the Dallas server, but as I mentioned, I do crash when the vehicle I am piloting goes into a wall (crashed this way when I accidentally rammed a Scarabrae interior wall), or terrain. It seemed, at least today, that the vehicle bombing I was doing may have caused the others to crash... I'm not a coder so I don't know for sure, but it seemed very coincidental.

EDIT: I should also mention that some of those that were dropping had the LastHope error message, and others did not.