Anni training missions for Anni configs

justR

Anni training missions for Anni configs

Post by justR »

This would be similar to the stock Tribes Single Player Missions that were included. I was kind of wondering why something like this hasn't been done before. With all the revival/community/wanting to increase the player base talks going on, I think this would help. I was lucky to have Crow and Shift show me as much as they did, and I went through literally every possible item in Anni and asked "what does this do?" etc. There is obviously a lot more to Anni than there is base, so having some sort of guide to teach new players wtf stuff does would be good for them and everyone else.

I do not know anything about coding or modding so the extent of my help would be to throw out ideas. Ideas such as if you really wanted to try to get more people (rather than just saying it) you could do things like make it available in Portuguese for all of those new players, just small stuff like that. There are plenty of you around however that know about this kind of stuff who seem to want to help revive Anni/Tribes.

I thought of this as I was showing a player what Ghost Pack does, and how it can be used to your benefit, at least on Broadside. The player I was showing it to is a daily player who has been there as long as I have been, and probably longer, and had probably never even used Ghost Pack before, or really knew what it does, and certainly not how to use it to your advantage.

There is a lot to Annihilation. Depending on what mod you come from, there might not be much to pickup on or may be quite a bit. Imagine being completely new to Tribes though, and then think of everything there is in Anni. It might help lessen the learning curve. This idea could (should) be added to Anni specific configs ready for download.
DaRk

Re: Anni training missions for Anni configs

Post by DaRk »

You could just make a howto guide with screen shots and/or videos, sounds less painful.

For example, you could make an open database with a guided list of things that need documentation. This would make it a community project where multiple registered users could work separate parts at any given time. This would get done much faster than relying on one or two people to code this.
justR

Post by justR »

This is true. A good place to put this [that isn't a headache] would be in-game when you click tab and hit the Mod Settings/Info, and then Mod Introduction. What is on there now is just a few changes I think from 3.0 to 4.0. (Kind of outdated given the latest is 5.0) You could have those popups actually be categorized by armor, items, deployables, even a section for rules, etc. Popups wouldn't be able to show someone how to do something but telling them how and what something does is still more than there is now.
JeSuS

Post by JeSuS »

you know the best place to post about that is www.annihilation.info That is where the smart peeps are
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

if you download annihilation and overwrite the base directory for the default tribes, it will allow you do the training missions in annihilation mod. Simple as that.

simply open the base folder and delete scripts.vol then place everything inside the annihilation folder inside of it. Also you don't need to revert back to the defualt base scripts.vol because no matter what server you join its going to load the mod into your tribes by default.

Also: if you're using 1.30 and you wish to use netsettings. You can hide the net setting configurations inside the scripts.vol file and it should bypass the 1.30 validation. It wont work from inside the config but it will work outside of it.
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
f0xL3g3nD :)

Post by f0xL3g3nD :) »

DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Reminds me a lot of the Screaming Fist mod.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

Fox, If you use these setting to convert your FRAPS videos, you should be able to get 720p resolution on your YouTube videos:

This only applies if your Tribes resolution settings are higher than 800 X 600 when you record with FRAPS.
I'm assuming they are.
I record at 800 x 600 and use that setting for my frame size. YouTube converts it down to 480p which still looks a lot better than your video (which is only 240p).
Also, converting to AVI is much faster than converting to WMV regardless of what frame size you use.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

justR wrote:This is true. A good place to put this [that isn't a headache] would be in-game when you click tab and hit the Mod Settings/Info, and then Mod Introduction.
I wanted to add this exact thing in while making 5.0. I asked bob to get it started while I was working on other stuff, but not sure if he put any work into it. My idea was to freeze the player off site, and switch through the different armors, while giving a lil info on how the armor is best played. The camera would also freeze facing the player. Pretty cool idea.
f0xL3g3nD :)

Post by f0xL3g3nD :) »

Just need to make an updated Annihilation training video to put on youtube, so people can watch it, share it...
Show people there are more videos of Tribes One than just made in 08 - 11. Let's go 2013.