Why have the invisible effect?

0_-

Re: Why have the invisible effect?

Post by 0_- »

justR wrote:
hof isn't effective in Anni because of the Particle Beam, you just can't get away with standing still in one spot, especially an area that gets attention like your flag stand. If that is effective in pubs then it's because you're playing shit players trying to grab, and in that sense it's a moot point. You have a point in the sense that it takes some level of teamwork/coordination at the start of a map to not get down quick, imo the best defense as far as not getting capped on at the start is to get their flag.
This is a completely and utterly subjective viewpoint, I'm not sure why you even said it. Some flags are actually inside a base like in Scarabrae. Do I need to be a HoF on that map? Do I need to worry about particle beams? No to both. At least I posit my position as what it is, subjective and limited to certain situations.
Stop. Close your eyes. Breathe deeply three times. Relax. Be here and now.
Lawlz

Post by Lawlz »

0_- wrote:
justR wrote:
hof isn't effective in Anni because of the Particle Beam, you just can't get away with standing still in one spot, especially an area that gets attention like your flag stand. If that is effective in pubs then it's because you're playing shit players trying to grab, and in that sense it's a moot point. You have a point in the sense that it takes some level of teamwork/coordination at the start of a map to not get down quick, imo the best defense as far as not getting capped on at the start is to get their flag.
This is a completely and utterly subjective viewpoint, I'm not sure why you even said it. Some flags are actually inside a base like in Scarabrae. Do I need to be a HoF on that map? Do I need to worry about particle beams? No to both. At least I posit my position as what it is, subjective and limited to certain situations.

Dude, I seriously want you to just OBS actual good players play this game; because you are in some alternate reality of Acid-Tribes.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

Erowid wrote:
Anni defense is far to dynamic for an individual to handle, it is best left to "permanent" defenses. It is better for a player to be reactionary in location rather than hold the responsibility of a position that can be overtaken with a few well place grenades. Anni defense is best left to deployables and those wearing the builder armor. Be useful, anticipate their attack and defend accordingly. Having a defense that can block a multitude of attacks that can survive more punishment than a player is a better option. It is usually best to have as few people lingering in the base setting defense as possible, especially one doing nothing more than laying on top of the flag; that is about as useless in this mod as you can get.
:jlol: we have turrets and deployables.. use them
No it is not in certain situations. In a very big map, with a troll and suicide detpack sitting on the flag, you can effectively stop flag captures by preemptively detonating the det pack. It kills the incoming capper or prevents them from running off with the flag 100% of the time.

And you are not listening. At the same time someone else is setting up static defenses. That's the kick. You keep ignoring that. You act like someone is sitting on flag as the only option. If you learned to just listen properly once then you would actually understand what I am saying. You are sitting on the flag to prevent that one cap that will define the game, early on in the game, or perhaps at a later period where your defense has failed. It is a desperate but effective option.

And lastly, to get this back on topic, the thread was originally about the invisibles coming in during this vulnerable period as a necromancer and capturing the flag while invisible. It is extremely unbalancing, because it deprives the losing team of any chance of seeing or responding to that person. There is no pulse sensor, there is no time to carefully studying terrain to see if there is a glow. They are capturing the flag, they won't be sitting there for you to examine them. No one has yet to put a strong and ground based argument against this point. It is what the whole thread was about.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

Lawlz wrote:
Dude, I seriously want you to just OBS actual good players play this game; because you are in some alternate reality of Acid-Tribes.
Unbelievable dude, now you are coming here so full of yourself. I don't need to make comparisons, my skills speak for themselves. People are constantly trying to kick me because I rape them so bad with the interceptor. Maybe you are one of the people voting yes because you're burning inside, I don't know.
0_-

Post by 0_- »

SGT ROCK wrote:
Niiiice! I love these strategy posts! Shift I really do read a lot of your stuff too, pretty reasonable! I agree the HoF deal is way to easy of a target, Anni is just different in that way. "Dynamic" "Defend accordingly" VERY GOOD! Instead of HoF, I feel best find a defensible position, low spot, behind something... in Titan and briefly defend a builder while he sets up, much better than static position where you won't last long against a decent attack. There's so many facets to this game, love that about it.
If you are to believe what he is saying 100% then you are cheating yourself out of a good tactic. Troll with minigun and suicide detpack ON the flag at the beginning of the game. Easy target for what? They don't even have a jump pad down yet, how are they outside of your base with their lasers fully charged. It takes time for Titans to get across the map, and they are a 2 second target for the troll at any distance by the way.

These guys are too black and white, if anything, Anni is nothing but grey. There are some maps where it is utterly impossible to have static defense that covers all angles. It requires active defense.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

Ghost wrote:So.... what does HoF mean?
http://tribes.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_on_Flag

justR

Post by justR »

0_- wrote:This is a completely and utterly subjective viewpoint, I'm not sure why you even said it. Some flags are actually inside a base like in Scarabrae. Do I need to be a HoF on that map? Do I need to worry about particle beams? No to both. At least I posit my position as what it is, subjective and limited to certain situations.
Ok, if you want to go with this bullshit subjective and limited to certain situations, please explain which situations (aka which maps) where it is more useful for a player to be a hof (not even a position in Anni btw) instead of the same player laying down defense and deployables around the flag.

Please educate us with all great tactics [since we're so black and white] you've learned from inside the Interceptor since that's all I've seen you do now in 3 days playing...which was of much use to your team by the way.

Start with Scarabrae if you want, I'm curious to see your reasoning behind your arguments, hopefully they won't be as bullshit as your pot rebuttals.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

justR wrote:
0_- wrote:This is a completely and utterly subjective viewpoint, I'm not sure why you even said it. Some flags are actually inside a base like in Scarabrae. Do I need to be a HoF on that map? Do I need to worry about particle beams? No to both. At least I posit my position as what it is, subjective and limited to certain situations.
Ok, if you want to go with this bullshit subjective and limited to certain situations, please explain which situations (aka which maps) where it is more useful for a player to be a hof (not even a position in Anni btw) instead of the same player laying down defense and deployables around the flag.

Please educate us with all great tactics [since we're so black and white] you've learned from inside the Interceptor since that's all I've seen you do now in 3 days playing...which was of much use to your team by the way.

Start with Scarabrae if you want, I'm curious to see your reasoning behind your arguments, hopefully they won't be as bullshit as your pot rebuttals.

Completely agree, the same effect you would get from a HoF, you could achieve from a well placed platform. Then in the time you are holding your penis on the flag you could have an entire laser turret setup. also.. chasing with a troll is fine and dandy, but i still prefer the ability to touch them from a distance with the ol' PB.

dawn

Post by dawn »

I sometimes wish I had an HoF watching my back while i set D, just to stop the initial onslaught.
some maps you can set a bare bones D to stop this, but most of the time not! Unless your team is first to
strike and take the opponents ability to attack, setting a decent defense can be a monumental job,especially
against nec and ghost. I know personally that first few minutes of a map I`m in panic mood to try and cover our flag.. :passout:
0_-

Post by 0_- »

justR wrote:

No need to get salty dude.

Not sure how interceptor is not useful, since all I am doing is contantly killing the "big name players", consuming their time and attention, harassing them, wounding and killing them. I can keep 3 "big name players" from attacking my base in a consistent way, that is not useful? Perhaps you better look again, next time leaving the negative and opinionated judgmental self behind.

HoF is great on a bunch of maps, like desert Canyon for example at the beginning, you always have warriors boosting to capture the flag and you can just gun them down with the minigun and detpack if the situation gets too hairy. This consume their attention and gives a chance for your team to build defense instead of being harassed. Then once static defenses are fully erect then you can begin more offensive maneuvering.

Maps with any similar layout also benefit from this. Any map where people will be sweeping right in to try and take the flag.

No one fires discs to knock the heavy out of the way. Much of the time they fly right into them or place some terrible plasma shots in the general direction of the HoF. To compound things you can even place a forcefield down with a heavy, strengthening your HoF position even more. With all of this hard evidence in place, it is astounding you can continue to debate this.