Share your tablet games

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Share your tablet games

Post by perrinoia »

My old Fujitsu u810 came with Windows Vista, and could barely run Tribes... I had to play in software mode, and even then, I was usually just admin from observer, because it was unplayably laggy.

When I installed Windows XP Tablet edition, it was slightly better, but I wasn't beating any records.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:My old Fujitsu u810 came with Windows Vista, and could barely run Tribes... I had to play in software mode, and even then, I was usually just admin from observer, because it was unplayably laggy.

When I installed Windows XP Tablet edition, it was slightly better, but I wasn't beating any records.
I hear ya on that one. My laptop uses Vista and I get 20-30 fps loss in Tribes. It does make it hard to play. I'm waiting on my new keyboard for my MSI laptop to come in with Windows 8.1 to see if it can handle it a bit better. If not, then I'll just switch to my custom built tower with XP Pro still on it.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

haha i love seeing this xp word thrown around.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

yeah xp pro was/is one of the best os to play classic openGL games on. Especially if thats all you play. A lot of cards like ATI suck at openGL simply because they've overlooked on updating the drivers over the years. Their hardware is more focused on newer games with different api's

nvidia on the other hand... however watch out for those nvidia updates windows 7 likes to install every now and then, as these may default your card to a different setting or just flat out screw your openGL drivers.

When I used windows7, 4 out of 5 updates caused performance issues with tribes. I would average at about 200=230 fps then when I updated drivers, it would suddenly drop to double digit frame rates 70-90.

I would then do a system restore to use the default drivers, and what do ya know. Everything was normal again. So I continued to disable automatic updates for windows after that and would only install the microsoft security updates.

I also recently ran into a problem like this with windows xp
I started noticing a massive memory leak in run.dll however it runs as a hidden backround process.
So I did a bit of research and built a fix for it.

- Click Start
- Type the word msconfig into the Search box and press Enter
- Untick every tick mark under the Startup tab.
- Click the Services tab, then tick the box that hides the Microsoft services.
- Untick every remaining tick mark.
- Physically disconnect the machine from the Internet.
- Reboot in Normal Mode.
- If this fixes the problem, restore the tick marks in groups of 4 until you find the culprit, then leave it unticked.
- Restore your Internet connection when finished.
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

nvidia on the other hand... however watch out for those nvidia updates windows 7 likes to install every now and then, as these may default your card to a different setting or just flat out screw your openGL drivers.
This also goes for Windows 8 and 8.1. Ran into the same issues. Running a 870M card on an MSI GT70 Dominator laptop. Matter of fact my ACER laptop with Vista on it and just a graphics chip, has better graphics than the Nvidia 870M card. The ACER will allow you to see through windows in a map in which the 870M only shows a glaze like a mirror.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

What game are you referring to, Kilroy?

There are no "windows" in Tribes, only force fields, and those are semi transparent regardless of video settings.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:What game are you referring to, Kilroy?

There are no "windows" in Tribes, only force fields, and those are semi transparent regardless of video settings.
Oh sorry forgot to mention the game, thanks! Unreal Tournament. :fpalm:
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

ahh yeah just play unreal tournament in D3D instead of openGL. You can thank me later.
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

bunkers have windows.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

No they don't.

They have holes in the walls. There's a difference.