detpack is inconsistent

Bored

detpack is inconsistent

Post by Bored »

Why does detpack not always blow people up the way it should?

Sometimes I'm 3 feet away from someone with detpack set to instant and i blow up and they live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS473EWbaiw
Firelord

Re: detpack is inconsistent

Post by Firelord »

If the detpack gets fixed troll will definitely be a viable armor.
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

I think the DetPack has a little different blast than some other weps. It seems to me the concentric blast wave that comes out from the pack is where the destructive force is. It doesn't blow "up" , it blows out a ring of death based on what level the pack is on. If you avoid that ring you have a chance to survive. As the blast wave propagates outward (like a donut of death) you may survive by being above or below that wave. Perr or Crow may know for sure... Although... you might be seeing the spawn shield in action too...?
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I believe players cast a shadow, protecting other players from the blast. Every time I see a det pack before it explodes, I jump behind another player or deployable and cross my fingers. It usually works, but not every time. My human shields tend to move...
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

SGT ROCK wrote:I think the DetPack has a little different blast than some other weps. It seems to me the concentric blast wave that comes out from the pack is where the destructive force is. It doesn't blow "up" , it blows out a ring of death based on what level the pack is on. If you avoid that ring you have a chance to survive. As the blast wave propagates outward (like a donut of death) you may survive by being above or below that wave. Perr or Crow may know for sure... Although... you might be seeing the spawn shield in action too...?
It sounds like you're describing a two dimensional wave, which I originally thought was the case, but Bored has been blowing me up a lot lately with them and it's definitely three dimensional as he'll kill me when I'm above or below him too. I just think there might be some non-registers going on or something.
Last edited by Firelord on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bored

Post by Bored »

Yeah I've definitely killed people when I was like 50 feet above them.

I've noticed this issue usually comes up when I'm moving at a high rate of speed and I blow up or when I blow up in a hallway that is at an angle.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The shockwave isn't always horizontal...
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

you move back the det pack radius is very limited.

you can also human shield.

you can also move behind an object or hill or above the blast radius.

if you move too fast the pack will detonate behind you, causing you to become the human shield.

det pack is not broken. Stop being a noob.

Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Fo sho!

Always make sure you are moving backwords or have a delay when tossing detpack.
Ctrl+K detonates detpack if you have one, but it's on your back, so if you are aiming directly at someone, they will not be damaged, because you are shielding them from the blast.
Bored

Post by Bored »

S_hift wrote: you move back the det pack radius is very limited.
I've found the radius to be quite large when it actually works.
S_hift wrote: if you move too fast the pack will detonate behind you, causing you to become the human shield.

det pack is not broken.
Sounds like it is broken then.
Why does this behavior only occur when you're moving fast?
If it's going to detonate behind you and cause you to become a human shield then it should at least happen in all cases (i.e. moving slow, not moving, moving fast).
Right now it seems this only happens when I'm moving fast and blow up.
S_hift wrote: Stop being a noob.
gr8 b8 m8.
perrinoia wrote: Ctrl+K detonates detpack if you have one, but it's on your back, so if you are aiming directly at someone, they will not be damaged, because you are shielding them from the blast.
I'm pretty sure I've killed people while aiming at them though...will have to do more testing.