Midair Alpha Release Update

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Midair Alpha Release Update

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, but I fear the noobs might be scared away by the vets whip beta or alpha tested.
(=SK=)Zorak

Post by (=SK=)Zorak »

Definitely a valid fear. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes. I mean, when population in T1 was dying, I purposefully nerfed myself and didn't kill noobs as often as I could've, just so that I could allow them to get the hang of it and not be scared off. Maybe same sort of thing will happen here.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Sup zak n yah we'll see how it goes
EvilTree{OZ}
Azul

Post by Azul »

They could make more money and have more players just charging 9.99 for the game and bypassing all this f2p bs.

The #1 way to make people stop playing is joining a server and getting killed endlessly because you don't have access to the same things that vets do.

Now, all that work and coding is gonna go to waste.

If they really wanted it to be like Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 vanilla, then they would have a flat price and allow mods and servers and stuff.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You're thinking long term sustainability... They were just thinking about getting paid while producing the game. Once it's finished, the programmers and graphic designers and modelers will move on to another job, and they won't give a fuck about maintaining the old project.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Steam told me that Spyder was playing Midair, so I decided to join him. I've been downloading MidAir for the past 3 hours, and I've only gotten to 7%... LOL

My internet sucks.
(=SK=)Zorak

Post by (=SK=)Zorak »

To be fair, you can get everything the vets have by paying the $30.00 base price, even after it does go F2P. I understand their motivation for it, and it may help with long-term sustainability (maybe). The problem with having a low price like $9.99, and possibly even the $30 price, is that this is unfortunately a bit of a niche genre, and without having a model that allows money to come in from other places, they likely will not even recuperate the cost of development, which in turn means the game will be abandoned before it really gets a chance to start.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

By reaching the kick starter goals, didn't we ensure that it will be funded through launch? Assuming it launches on time.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

I think they need more advertisement
EvilTree{OZ}
(=SK=)Zorak

Post by (=SK=)Zorak »

perrinoia wrote:By reaching the kick starter goals, didn't we ensure that it will be funded through launch? Assuming it launches on time.
I don't know, $100,000 really isn't that much money as far as game development costs go. Considering it is developed as well as self-published by Archetype, that means no outside source of funding is coming from a publisher for dev costs, let alone marketing. If they've been working on the game since 2013/2014, that means they'd been covering the costs of development for at least a couple years before they launched the kickstarter in May 2016. Then the kickstarter didn't do so well, only hitting their minimum tier.

Assuming they've got a dev team of at least 10, that's at most a $10,000/year salary for the devs, which doesn't exactly pay the bills. That also leaves no money for additional resources, marketing, etc.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I can't find any other info on it, but IMDB says that Tribes 1's budget was (estimated) $2 million. If that's accurate, that's over $3 million in todays' dollars, so $110,000 or whatever they got from the kickstarter doesn't even come close to cutting it.