Houston, we have a problem.

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Houston, we have a problem.

Post by perrinoia »

Whelp... Sounds like Irma and Jose are headed my way...
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

where are you living now days perr?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Newport, Rhode Island.

Irma will not be a hurricane when it gets here. It'll just be a very large thunderstorm. But Jose might be a hurricane.

Our forecast is perfect for sucking in big ass storms like Irma and Jose. We'll have beautiful weather while we prep for impact.

I think the countdown is at 8 days.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

well, good luck, and may the force be with you. :D
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'm lucky enough to have a mooring on either side of Newport harbor, so I can pick whichever one is farthest upwind to ensure I have the best protection from the wind. As long as the storm surge is less than ~15 feet, and the wind is weaker than my cleats, I should be able to ride out a hurricane without a problem.

When I was a kid, my parents boat was on the mooring I'm currently on during hurricane Bob. It was the furthest downwind before the eye passed which means least protected, and most likely to have other boats break free of their moorings and collide with.

The cleat ripped out of the deck as the eye wall passed and she drifted Northwest, ending up alongside of the fishing piers. Some fishermen came out and secured her to the pier before the other side of the eye wall passed. The wind direction for the remainder of the hurricane would pull her off the pier, but the fishermen's dock lines held.

I have learned from my parents mistakes, and will have multiple lines secured to multiple locations, and since I'll be upwind, I won't be in any danger of having other boats break free and bang into me.

Also, I'll be onboard, so if the eye passed directly over and the wind changes direction, I'll be able to move to the other mooring.

Also, according to the internet, the the storm has earned the nickname, "No way-Jose", as it's trajectory is completely unpredictable. But that hasn't stopped the local weathermen up and down the coast from predicting doom and gloom for ratings.

Edit: I just did a little more research and it looks like neither storm is going to be a big deal by the time they get here. Just a crap ton of rain and slightly more wind than we'd prefer. There will probably be small craft advisories, but I'll still be out here working.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

you're still staying on the boat?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Damn, Perr, and you just got one of your boats working. Hope everything turns out ok. Keep us up to date if you can. I just woke up after spending the weekend down at Port Aransas, TX coast line helping out with what I can for clean-up. Pretty tired. Slept for about 13 hrs. after getting back. Luckily I didn't have to drive. Went down with a group on a bus.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Good thinking. Driving all that way after working that hard is friggin dangerous. I had a co-worker who used to have over an hour commute. One night, he fell asleep at the wheel while driving over Newport bridge. He totalled his car, and suffers back pain. He decided not to return this year, and I don't blame him. In fact, I encouraged it, as he didn't need the work and I did, so I get better shifts now that he's gone. It was a mutually beneficial decision, but I do miss our banter.

Anywho, back on the subject of my boat. I just went to pay the bill and was shocked to find that they neglected to charge me for a new alternator. They said they didn't install one. Just replaced a fuse and now it charges the battery again. They didn't even charge me for the fuse nor the diagnostics. Just the bow cleat and fiberglass repair, which sea tow should pay for anyway.

I said, "I'm glad y'all suck at following directions."
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Nice! Glad you found the problem on the charging issue, and without a bill! And glad it wasn't a voltage regulator(s).
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I just remembered. Didn't Ghost move to Florida? He posted a photo of a house on a canal... I hope he's alright.