Tired of SPAM? Here's your fix....

KILROY

Tired of SPAM? Here's your fix....

Post by KILROY »

I was only receiving 10 or 20 spam emails for the past few years every few days, so I just let them auto delete, but lately I've been receiving up to 100 or more, and now I'm tired of them filling up my email, especially when I have it setup to notify me when one hits my "inbox" instead of going to my "spam box". Every country has an organization that handles these issue's. Being that I'm in the United States, it will be named the Federal Trade Commission (FTC for short). The companies that send you spam are required by law to give you the option to "Opt" out of receiving emails from them via a link at the bottom of the email they sent you. If they do not, and they are from a business within the United States, for every email you report to the FTC, that business could be facing penalties up to $40,654 PER EACH EMAIL REPORTED under the CAN-SPAM ACT.

Link to FTC CAN-SPAM ACT:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busines ... e-business

Your probably thinking, what if I don't live in the United States? Your still covered. Each country has their own legal organization that handles these types of issues. Below is a link to a site that gives you good information on the names of each organization and who they represent, including their websites where you can look up the legal law in the country you live in, and also how to contact that organization to report the violation.

http://www.lsoft.com/resources/optinlaws.asp

Also, on a side note. If you live in the United States and receive what we call a Robocall (A computer voice that talks to you when you answer the call) and you did not give that business organization permission to call you, it is ILLEGAL, PERIOD! If the call gives you options to opt out of receiving anymore calls by pressing an option number, DO NOT DO IT! Organizations change their contact information regularly, and you will just receive more calls in the future. The best thing to do is hang-up the call, then report the phone number to the FTC, and they will handle the rest.

Link if you live in the US on Stopping Unsolicited Mail, Phone Calls, and Email. Also in the upper right hand corner you will see an image video that will open up confirming what I just relayed to you about Robocalls via an attorney for the FTC:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... -and-email

EDIT: Another quick mention....if you live in one country and are receiving spam email that is from another entity in another country and you try to report it to that countries legal organization to try to get them to get that entity to stop the spam, they won't do it. My former company Level 3 Communications, now CenturyLink get's these complaints all the time via our customers, and when we try to contact that countries organization, even we have conflicts of interest and arguments to get that organization involved. We are in the process of submitting a request with the United Nations on this issue to see if they can come up with a national bylaw to force all these organizations to work together for the interest of the consumers.
Last edited by KILROY on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Tired of SPAM? Here's your fix....

Post by perrinoia »

I love you. No homo.