FCC Passes Net Neutrality December 14, 2017

KILROY

FCC Passes Net Neutrality December 14, 2017

Post by KILROY »

What is Net Neutrality:

Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication. For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: FCC Passes Net Neutrality December 14, 2017

Post by perrinoia »

Really? I thought they were voting on whether or not to repeal it. This a pass vote would mean no more net neutrality.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Sorry, maybe I should have added the word repeal, but it was repealed by the FCC. I just added the definition in case those of you who didn't know what it was. The states attorney generals office wants it re-instated. CenturyLink LLC, my company was informed a few days after. We've been setting up monitors, to monitor this per the FCC's request on all our transportation lines to make sure every company that uses our services around the world follows through, if not, they could be looking at some pretty heavy federal fines by the FCC. I've been pulling some pretty long hours helping get this setup. Matter of fact, I just got off an over 48 hour straight shift, and heading to bed now. It's 7AM here now, and I have to be back at the office tonight, so hitting the sack.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'm confused. If they successfully repealed the regulations, then you should have LESS things to monitor, not more.

Maybe I've got this all wrong.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

So, so much misinformation out there, so much speculation about what might happen, what do the people who work for the ISPs have to say about it?

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:I'm confused. If they successfully repealed the regulations, then you should have LESS things to monitor, not more.

Maybe I've got this all wrong.
No, we still have to monitor the ISP's to make sure they follow through and try not to cheat the consumer. Remember when I told you everything and everyone is being watched. ;)
Erowid wrote:So, so much misinformation out there, so much speculation about what might happen, what do the people who work for the ISPs have to say about it?
Depends on who you ask in the ISP's. If uppers in the company, say like ATT, VRZN, SPRNT, etc....then it's money coming out of their pockets they have been making off the consumer for years that they have already been charging in areas, or altogether.

If it's the employees, depends, some might not see that raise early enough they were expecting due to this. While others who are the lower employees don't care, due to possibly not being employed long enough with that company to see a decent salary, and are just looking at this as a fill-in job while they are finishing up their education, or maybe not having the knowledge on what Net Neutrality is.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

The internet will no longer be considered a public utility and therefore won't be as heavily regulated by the government. Internet neutrality means classifying all internet traffic the same by law, basically just a term for carrier laws in regards to the internet. Without decent carrier laws in place it's more likely that the internet will progress faster technologically because there will be continued investment (because profit), perhaps getting us to faster speeds sooner and getting more areas connected sooner.

The problem is that if you don't have good carrier law you end up with some pretty shoddy business tactics usually and for the internet nobody can be sure how that will end up playing out, it's new territory and all but you can be sure that it's going to COST you.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Death666 wrote:The internet will no longer be considered a public utility and therefore won't be as heavily regulated by the government. Internet neutrality means classifying all internet traffic the same by law, basically just a term for carrier laws in regards to the internet. Without decent carrier laws in place it's more likely that the internet will progress faster technologically because there will be continued investment (because profit), perhaps getting us to faster speeds sooner and getting more areas connected sooner.

The problem is that if you don't have good carrier law you end up with some pretty shoddy business tactics usually and for the internet nobody can be sure how that will end up playing out, it's new territory and all but you can be sure that it's going to COST you.
True....I see your point, but were NOT the government. We provide to what you call your ISP. The uppers within the company are already meeting to see which path is in agreement to follow.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I don't understand how the repeal of net neutrality will effect the technological advancement of the internet.

Net neutrality laws exist because ISPs were doing shenanigans and the public outcry convinced the government to govern it.

The repeal of such laws means ISPs will no longer be punished for their shenanigans.

Net neutrality laws were repealed by the current administration whose goal is to dismantle the government piece by piece, despite the outcry of the citizens who remember the shenanigans that ISPs used to get away with.

This is not a good thing for the economy. This is not a good thing for the people. This is not a good thing for the hard workers within the ISPs.

This is a good thing for the CEOs of ISPs, as they can take the money they budgeted for class action lawsuits and play golf.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

But....with only one "main" provider for the US and a good percentage of the World, CenturyLink, LLC....depending on what the uppers in the company decide will depend which route CenturyLink takes. We have no competitor for the US, due to CenturyLink, LLC making this last 40 multi-billion dollar buy-out of Level 3 Communications, LLC.

This can go many ways depending on the consumer ISP's deciding on how to evolve and do for the consumer, and which path(s) CenturyLink is going to take and when.