A series of Tribes for free

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: A series of Tribes for free

Post by perrinoia »

(=SK=)Zorak wrote:I hate that HiRez owns the Tribes I.P. Shithole company, who don't have the appreciation for Tribes that is needed by a dev crew to make a decent new Tribes game.

I've been playing the lottery when it has hit high amounts in the last several months, and my dream is that I can win, and use a portion of the winnings to buy the I.P. from them, and hire a dev team to recreate T1, in all it's glory. MidAir looks good, but the fact there is no mod capability blows.

Anyway, a boy can dream...
I've already compiled a list of things I would change...
  • 1) Auto updater with user account capabilities, buddy list, clan support, VoIP, video streaming,etc.. (Steam Powered).
    2) MODS!!! Custom map editor, skinning tools, etc... Seed (publish) your custom mods so other players can download them torrent style through the auto updater. Definitely need some validation process to ensure the custom maps/mods/skins were developed using the game editor utilities, so as not to distribute malware.
    3) No dedicated servers. Match servers only. You specify what map/mod you wanna play and it matches you with other players in the lobby with the same preferences/ranking. As you apply filters to the lobby the pool of players you can match with shrinks. You can choose to play offline against AI though.
    4) Infinite number of teams (Deathmatch = everyone on their own team rather than everyone on one team with team-damage on)
    5) Team specific mission area boundaries that overlap like a venn diagram creating a war zone surrounded by 0 or more safe zones.
    6) Mobile, destroy-able bases. Imagine drop-ships that moved like elevator platforms. (DTS)
    7) Truly 3d terrain, not just a height map, with tunnels and shit, which can be owned by teams. (DIS)
    8) Animated height maps with variable densities and trigger like functions, IE: Oceans of water, quicksand, acid, or lava. (TED)
I don't think I'd actually buy the Tribes IP though... I think my game would be unique enough to stand alone... I'd need to conjure up a new title though.

So, to recap, if I won the lottery, I'd pay some one with experience developing a game on steam to develop this game engine and a few sample maps/mods/skins.... I'd produce my own maps/mods/skins. Actually, I think I'd like game content like that to be distributed through an in game store. That's how developers would make money. I'd only pay the guy or team who make the engine/tools directly... Everyone else would be considered buyers or sellers in the store. But I'd use my lottery winnings to giveaway a crap ton of content, kick starting the store like a kangaroo.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Interesting ideas! Now watch some of those ideas start to show up with the existing things already ongoing.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Some people hoard their ideas so they can profit off them...

I like my ideas so much, I'd rather see someone else bring them to fruition than never see the fruits of them.
(=SK=)Zorak

Post by (=SK=)Zorak »

Like all the ideas except the dedicated servers. I really don't like being stuck with the game's hosted servers in new games. I think having both is the correct way to go.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Good point...

Especially if your mod idea is an mmorpg...In that case, you'll want a dedicated server that players can connect or disconnect from at will.