Yahoo Email

KILROY

Yahoo Email

Post by KILROY »

Anyone use Yahoo Email? I do, and as of tonight 5/15/2018 it has changed it's look. It does take some getting used to, but I don't care for the picture themes in the background. I do like some of the new features and folders that are offered, but the layout is really different. I also noticed that they sense my ad blocker program and notified me of it, and relayed I needed to "whitelist" them in order to have all the features of my Yahoo email to work, or I could just pay them $3.49 a month to register for Yahoo Pro, but basically every so many emails on your listing and you see an ad now, and the right side of your screen you see ads changing as you surf your email inbox. It is annoying, which is how they are trying to get you to start paying for services to eliminate the ads.

Back in 2015, Verizon bought AOL for $4.4 billion in cash, then bought some share holdings for different departments in Yahoo in 2017 for $4.83 billion cash, forming OATH, which will be relying on ads for income after eliminating 2,100 combined jobs between the two new purchases. Tim Armstrong, the former CEO of AOL is now the CEO for OATH.

If you use Yahoo Email, what are your thoughts on the new look?

EDIT: I decided to switch back to Yahoo Basic, but it wouldn't allow me. I went through their site and followed step-by-step instructions on what to try to try to get it to switch back, still nothing. So I had to contact their customer support. Gabriel came on and immediately asked me what browser was I using...I relayed Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). He asked me if I used any other browsers...I told him I have Google Chrome also, but don't use it as much, just basically to check my Gmail. He asked me if I wouldn't mind logging into my Yahoo email and try to switch it back to basic from there. I did, and it took! He then asked me to check it through IE11 again. I did, but it still looked the same. He asked me to log out and back in, and when I did, it changed! He said it's probably a glitch in Internet Explorer. I asked him if he wouldn't mind holding on, I wanted to see if it would change back to the new theme if I decided to switch back in the future. I checked and it did the same issue...I had to log in through Chrome, and do all the switching to switch it back in IE. I relayed the info. back to Gabriel in case he ever had a customer contact them to reverse the issue, if the glitch hadn't been figured out by then. He thanked me and the chat ended.

I did however notice one thing. In Chrome, it didn't allow my Ad Blocker Plus to work...I saw every AD online. In IE, it blocked almost all the AD's, even the one's in my Yahoo email. I'll be damned if Yahoo wants me to pay them $3.49 a month just so I don't see AD's, or get me to switch to their Yahoo Pro. Can't be too mad at them for trying to make a profit somewhere though...think of it...they are offering you FREE email services with 1TB of space to use on their servers. What other company does that?

What browser do you use, and why? If you use Google Chrome, are you using an AD blocking program? Which one, and why?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Yahoo Email

Post by perrinoia »

I exclusively use chrome until some website forces me to use IE or Edge because the web developer was too lazy to test their designs in multiple browsers.

I use a yahoo email address to register for anything that might end up spamming me, because their spam filter is garbage, thus I'll almost always receive the registration emails from the dodgy websites that I visit.

I use 2 gmail accounts. One for business and one for personal communication. However, I've often provided the wrong gmail account to business associates and family members.

I prefer google and gmail for all of my free browsing purposes.

As for ad blockers... I use:
  • Adblock
  • Adblock plus
  • Block Site
  • Popup Blocker Pro
The dodgier the site, the more banner and popup ads sneak through.

They seem to have found a loophole, where they hijack the current tab and open a new tab for the page you actually desired. Costs me a ton of data, cause it's almost always one of those stupid cam girl websites.

PS: Yahoo's mobile email app keeps asking me to sync my contacts, but I won't let it because of how many times my yahoo email account has been used to send malware to my contacts... I deleted my yahoo contact list to protect my contact's anonymity decades ago as I never intentionally send emails from that account.

My gmail accounts have never been hacked.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Do the ad blocker programs you mentioned Perrinoia block ads in Google/Chrome? Which one(s)? My ad block plus doesn't, let's everything through, but it does block in IE. I haven't messed around with Google too much. Mostly IE.

As for Google...I don't like to use them, they are too much of a monopoly now worth trillions of dollars, buying up 300 companies at a time for a hundred thousand here and there like it's change. They pretty much own 90% of the internet surfing now. Talk about the Gov't watching you. Google takes everything you do online to send you ads, or suggestions. They even control the search engine, showing you there information for your search first. They are still showing you the information from other providers, but moving them to the farther pages, the one's people don't take the time to view, due to only using the first search finds. People thinking these are best suggestions. So basically Google is putting other companies out of business, or close to it, so they can purchase them at a lower price to continue their monopoly. Google has been sued by European countries for a few billion, but it's like chump change to them. They pay it like it's nothing and keep doing what they are doing with no FTC, or FCC supervision.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Walmart and Microsoft do the same thing, but I still use Google Chrome on my Microsoft Surface to purchase things from Walmart.com.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well...I'm not sure on this, just a guess, but thinking Walmart might have the monopoly on actual retail stores for sales, like Amazon for online.

Microsoft, actually is one of the companies that cannot compete with Google. Same as Yelp, with the way Google has it's monitoring ongoing, and if your using it's Chrome, your seeing ads per what you are showing interest in by what you type in for a search, or what you click on. I'm not saying it's wrong, very cleaver programing, but I have to agree with them being so large that other companies just can't compete with them. Cleaver business strategies on their end, but the companies that are trying to stay in business are not able to, and starting to complain, due to certain guidelines that were put into place by our government.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

What I just read is that Google does it best, and hundreds of tiny companies that only provide some of the many services Google provides cannot compete.

In a lot of circumstances, these companies that Google is buying up are competing. In fact, they were created for the soul purpose of nibbling on Googles piece of the pi until Google buys them their own pi. That's not a typo. Google often buys things for factors of pi. Three hundred fourteen thousand, one hundred and fifty nine dollars, for instance.

The only company that has been negatively effected by Google's business practices is Yahoo, who at one point in time was a trusted news source, search provider, and email provider. Once upon a time, Yahoo turned down the opportunity to buy Google for 1 million dollars. Later, Google offered to buy Yahoo for 48 billion, but got turned down. AOL bought Yahoo for 4.8 billion.

This isn't the story of a heartless corporation devouring another. It's the story of a shitty business with no foresight.

Google was better than Yahoo since it's inception. 1 million dollars was a steal. 48 billion would have been a viking funeral. 4.8 billion was like swerving to intentionally finish off the squirrel that the car in front of you injured but didn't kill.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Actually, Verizon bought AOL for 4.4 billion, and then Verizon bought 15% of Yahoo, which included it's email department, for 4.8 billion. The CEO for AOL, Tim Armstrong, is now the new CEO for a new thing Verizon is starting up called OATH in 4 days, the 25th. They haven't released much information on what OATH is going to do as of yet, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it. That's why your seeing a bunch of listings on line with Policy and Terms of services changing that you have to read and accept, or if you continue to use the services after the 25th, you are agreeing to the new terms automatically.

I was working for Broadwing Communications, LLC in Austin, TX when Yahoo turned down that purchase for Google. Everyone I worked with thought they made a big mistake, due to the purchase price was actually not that bad due to Google's reputation already.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I read an article about Tim Armstrong and wasnot impressed.

He basically sank AOL in order to create the Patch.

I thought Patch was a failure until recently, when my sister and sister in-law both mentioned they almost exclusively get their news from Patch.

I didn't realize it had expanded to our locality.
Nightmare OG

Post by Nightmare OG »

I honestly prefer IE. Im the most familiar with it
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, I still use IE, but lately it's been having a bunch of issue's with locking up for some reason. Especially if I have multiple tabs open, and some sites just don't support it anymore, even tell you that you need to switch to another browser to be able to view their site completely with no issue's.