Sorry if your services dropped

KILROY

Re: Sorry if your services dropped

Post by KILROY »

Oh hell no...you'll still have most of the same issue's due to our famous gov't regulating companies on what they can provide to the consumer. Well...not completely true, this is also a ploy by the companies to make more $$$$. Bring out a little faster speed every so often at particular prices to try to show up the competition, and by doing so, they take their time to upgrade the lines and equipment they currently have, so they can install new lines and equipment in areas they don't have any, offer it at discounted prices to gain new customers in those areas, while keeping the same prices in their current areas, but increasing the prices for those who are going off contracts. It's all a hidden scam on the consumer. ATT says they can only give me a 6 meg DSL line service where I live, but they can offer me more, if they change out equipment, but they won't. Why change out equipment for only one active customer in the area, when everyone else in my area is on Spectrum? (Cable company who took over Time Warner offering up to 200 megs for only $50 for the first 3 months, then $70 a month after, with 2 yr. contract. $300 to get out of contract.) I'd go Spectrum, but I'm at the end of their Dmarc in my area, and they want $1,200 to extend it, so I'll stay with ATT since I've had no issue's with them for over 5 yrs. now, besides slowing down my speed to 3.93 one time. That won't happen again, after I talked to one of their uppers.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

That's disappointing.

What about space x's satellite internet network... i heard telestar pulled out. That can't be good.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

This is just my opinion, but I don't like wireless at all...it has too many problems when an electrical storm moves through the area, and it's costly, which is why a bunch of people still do cable. Just one tower for wireless can cost multi-millions of dollars for all the antennae's and dishes that it has to use, including cabling, equipment, and power converters, and inverters to run it all that the company who owns the tower has to pay the electrical company for it's power use, which cost's a bunch to operate. That's why your cost's for that wireless service is so much. It's getting better due to better ways they are finding out to cut costs and due to it's growing popularity there are more companies manufacturing equipment to cut costs for that equipment, but it's going to be awhile before you might start to see better pricing. By that time, you might see more fiber in the area.

That's pretty much all I fix these days. The antennae's, tower's, and dishes for wireless. Your always going to be better with a hardline. The only problems with hardlines....if they are cut by not marking them out before digging, they get so old in the ground the insulation corrodes and they need to be replaced, or the customers equipment fails, or needs to be reset either manually or remotely. I very rarely see the providers equipment failing due to the equipment being in a service building and there's always a tech on duty monitoring it.

Wireless is just different bandwidth frequencies moving through the air and it's not tamper proof. A simple magnet can offset it. Sound frequencies from your booming bass vehicles can mess with it's pattern, including all the electrical equipment and accessories they have to pass through in a housing area. The only solutions so far is changing the frequencies to high bandwidths to do the traveling at a certain height in the air, before lowering those frequencies to be delivered to it's source, which cost a bunch for this equipment, which is why cost's are still high in some areas. That's why the FCC allowed for "piggybacking" the frequencies with cell tower's and things are being moved from 2 and 3G network's to 4 and 5G network's, for their higher bandwidth frequencies.

Can't wait for the fiber to be ran in my area. But what's going to happen to all that copper that is in the ground? Find a way to pull it, and you have some nice pocket change to cash in on for recycling.

As for Telstar, that's ATT. ATT thought that by buying out DirectTV they would increase their profits and the popularity of wireless communications. DirectTV was going to be the base of satellite services, which would have helped out not one, but two of their Telstar Satellites. The first was launched, I believe back in 1989, the year I graduated high school. Well...DirectTV has failed for ATT, and they are loosing multi-millions, not only off the purchase when they bought it, but the consumer base isn't there. ATT just want's too much for this service, even charging some consumer's for installation in particular areas and some equipment fee's. Why pay anywhere from $49 to $89 for installation, and then monthly fee's for equipment, including the service, which can add up to be around $100-$200 a month (ViaSat), with a mention of a speed of "UP TO" 25-100mbs, but they limit your usage to so many gigs per month, and after you go over they slow your speed down, and give priority to another customer who hasn't used up as much bandwidth. You can get cable that offer's anywhere from 100-200mbs with unlimited usage for only $50-$70 a month, some with no contract required, and some with free equipment!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yes, wireless has its drawbacks, but i don't think i'll ever be able to get cable or fiber run out to my boat.

I am at a dock in the winter, where they provide cable TV and wifi, but it's analog cable and slow wifi.
In the summer, my boat swings about 70 feet around a mooring.

KVH makes nifty little motorized satellite dishes inside weather proof domes for marine use. The dishes have thi be motorized to track satellites since they are mounted on a boat that is constantly moving.

KVH is based on this island, so i know a lot of employees and have even met the owner of the company. One employee told me he could get me a free retired demo unit, but I'd obviously have to pay for service. I'd get to choose the provider, though.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, I hear ya on your situation, and understand. Look where I'm at, in the country at the end of Spectrum's Dmarc, and ATT was the only company who ran me a RJ45 line for free for a 6 meg DSL service when Spectrum wanted $1,200 to extend their Dmarc to get their service, and I work for the company who keeps them up, and work from home most of the time...LOL! With these speeds, it can take time to test out a line service to work an issue reported by them to find a resolution to restore services for them.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well when you put it like that, it sounds like it could save them money in the long run to give you a dedicated high speed line.

I'm still amazed you didn't buy a house right on a backbone though, and connect yourself like you were your own ISP.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

That would have been cool, but the only line ran out here is for Spectrum. I do have 300 ft. of cable that I can run, but I don't have a ladder that can get me high enough on the pole. Even the cable company has to use a crane truck to reach their Dmarc.

With the county and city both expanding out here now, I've been approached by all kinds of companies wanting to purchase this 8 1/2 acres that I got for a steal at only $20K, so they can develop it into a housing community. One just was built less than 2 miles from me and houses went for $120K each. Sold really fast! A dozen homes in less than 6 months! I'm considering turning this into a gated Trailer and RV park, or possibly a storage container home park, if I don't sell first.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You could do what my old church did... Rent a chunk to a cell tower. They got rental income AND free service out of the deal!
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

That's the problem out here...tower's are along way, away in both directions. That's why people out here are loosing some bandwidth. What the ISP's are doing, is taking some of your bandwidth they provide to you, and combining it to use it for cell services and hotspots. They don't need a tower or dish, you already are transmitting the signal via your router and wireless connection.