website funding

AnniDv6

Re: website funding

Post by AnniDv6 »

Sounds like you lucked out Kilroy. Living in a place with no ISP has been terrible and all I can think is that I want to move back under google fiber coverage.

Pretty shitty that super smart people invent or discover things that they probably intend to help all of humanity, but you go however many years forward and it's just a shitshow with a lot of people not even having it still or being charged an arm of a leg for something that would really just be great if everyone had somehow. Obviously some of these things cost money and somebody has to pay, but are we really going to pretend this is the best we can do.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, the only other choice I have out here is Viasat, but for a 25 Mbps bandwidth, they want $200 a month, and the reason, Viasat doesn't own their bandwidths, they are leasing them from AT&T when they bought out DirecTV and up charging the customer's. I was just lucky to get that 6 Mbps DSL line from AT&T, and they were lucky to keep me as a customer for over 5 yrs. on it, due to having to work from home to keep them, and a bunch of other companies up around the world so they could provide to their customers.

Now with Spectrum cable, I can get more done. I haven't even had their services for a full month, and their router already went down, and they had to dispatch a tech to come out to troubleshoot the issue. Good thing though, he not only gave me a new router, but went ahead and swapped the modem also. He then saw I was only topped to 97 megs for speed, and did something he wasn't supposed to, upgraded my firmware on both the modem and router, and called in to get them to lift any caps. Now I'm getting 238.4 Mbps on download, and that's wirelessly, no RJ45 cable connect, which I'm only suppose to be getting "up to" 200 Mbps, for $44.95 a month.

But I hear ya on fiber...something I'll never see out my way. AT&T was the only company running it, and they stopped after so many miles from the heart of the downtown city. Although Spectrum does do up to a 1 Gig Mbps, but you only see around 860 to 870 on it on their fiber network, and the cost is only $104.95 a month for new customers.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Google fiber back in the Midwest was only $70 and that was 940 down 940 up. The package with TV as well was $200 total. Probably never going to see those prices again. It was only in a handle of cities then and I heard they stopped expanding. Probably too much to install.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yo bro, just sent ya $100! Use it for the Tribes Community!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I been known to setup a Viasat or two. Fun stuff. Especially when you supplement it with a load balancer and more bandwiddth. :bdance:
Last edited by OldGuy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Whoa, wait, when you say setup, do you mean with or without their knowledge?

EDIT: Cause isn't the 2nd AF server only a read only, and if it crashes and restarts, you only get 3 days of usage out of it. You'll need to explain to me on how you get both to work together. Cause I thought each worked solo. And I know your not running a default host, cost too much.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, if running more than one server, aren't they under different IP's? If so, how do you get them to work together as one to do the same thing and act as one when they are acting as read only? Or you don't, and if so, enlighten me on how you do it plse. Are you running alternate SSH Ports to make them act as one? Like LB Port 443, Backend Port 22, with a Protocol TCP?

If they are read only, how do you get them to write back to each other?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

When I say setup, I mean take it out of the case and set it up. We use load balancers to supplement the bandwidth. Here's a typical setup at a remote site.

At this particular site, we were supplementing with air cards. But with the load balancer we can also run multiple dishes.
Attachments
viasat-dish.png
viasat-network.png
Last edited by OldGuy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

KILROY wrote:EDIT: 1 Cause isn't the 2nd AF server only a read only, and if it crashes and restarts, you only get 3 days of usage out of it. You'll need to explain to me on how you get both to work together. Cause I thought each worked solo. And I know your not running a default host, cost too much.
Can't really talk about the in-house networking part. We have 24/7/365 coverage though.
KILROY wrote:EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, if running more than one server, aren't they under different IP's? If so, how do you get them to work together as one to do the same thing and act as one when they are acting as read only? Or you don't, and if so, enlighten me on how you do it plse. Are you running alternate SSH Ports to make them act as one? Like LB Port 443, Backend Port 22, with a Protocol TCP?

If they are read only, how do you get them to write back to each other?
A lot of our systems have web backends. We also have virtual machines we can spin up/access from the web.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

What's this for? Armed forces?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

The stuff I do is civilian stuff.

Oh, and sry, just noticed this stuff is :otopic: