Is this a good motherboard ??

vistalize

Re: Is this a good motherboard ??

Post by vistalize »

I live on the edge baby. Have USB ready to go. Fuck paying that much for OS but at the same time.... maybe worth it in the long run to have my own disk. That means I would have to buy a CD Drive.....
EvilTree{OZ}
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

It would have to be external because your case does not have any external drive bays.
I don't think you need one. You can always just save that thumb drive. In fact, maybe you should tape it to the inside of your case so you always have it ready format and reinstall.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

I didnt even think about that. Why would they make cases with no damn room for a CD drive
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Is there anyway I can use a USB hub on my desktop or is the pci-e my only option your right I should have gotten a case that fit an ATX motherboard.... it's too late now. Hopefully if things keep going well i can rebuild another and sell this one off to fund the project. Live and learn. I looked at the part for the link you sent... from the reviews it looks like hit or miss what do you think
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

I might as well go legit. I need an OS on a flash drive obviously. I've been looking at this.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Window ... way&sr=8-8

I'm really leaning towards the key purchase idea though. Do you think it's legit. Will I be sharing a key with someone else or would it be my own personal key.
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FPIMI ... B0776GY5YZ

Do I take the chance or do I pay a few more for this. I just dont want to waste money on something that has a 50/50 chance of not working
EvilTree{OZ}
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well, the ebay seller is offering to email you a cd key for $2.
I imagine if it was not legit, Microsoft would be suing the shit out of him by now. The seller is from the USA, so he's definitely beholden to copy right laws.
On the other hand, if it's not legit, he's probably got a cracked key gen or is selling used product keys. Best way to find out is to shell out $2, type the key into the installation creation wizard app, and see what it thinks about it.

Even if the seller acquired the key illegally, if it works, it'll be registered to you for eternity, otherwise it's already registered to someone else and won't work for you, and you're out $2.

I'm interested to hear what Kilroy thinks about this... https://www.ebay.com/i/372545111338?chn=ps

As for the usb expansion card, you are correct. The reviews are not great. It appears to have compatibility issues with windows 10 pro 64 bit, which is what you intend to install. The SATA power socket breaks off easily, the expansion slot face plate is reportedly not a standard length, and the USB sockets are so close together than you can only use every other one unless your USB sticks are ultra thin.

The USB expansion card you posted is definitely better. I haven't read a single review of poor build quality, though one did mention the manufacturer's website is awful, thus he had difficulty finding the appropriate drivers. It only provides 5 USB ports on the back of the computer, but has an additional 2 on the inside, so if you wanna leave you windows installation USB stick plugged in forever so you can opt to reinstall/repair windows every time the computer boots with the slap of a keyboard, you can.

You can also use the interior USB slots for USB 3.0 VRAM sticks, which will bypass your mobo's 64 GB RAM limitation, but the VRAM isn't as fast... Not really worth the effort unless your crushing some rendering project and wanna temporarily boost your system. VRAM sticks don't last very long, as flash drives have a limited number of read/writes before they fail, and RAM reads/writes a hell of a lot more than permanent storage mediums do.

Lastly, no PCIe is not your only option, I'm just having difficulty finding the expansion slot options that plug into the USB header pins on the motherboard, like the front panel does, instead. I had one in an old computer, but it was only USB 1.1, which won't help you much today.

Oh wait, I found it.
$7.99 - 20pin to usb 3.0 2 Ports USB 3.0 Female Back Panel to MB 20pin Header Connector Cable Adapter with PCI Slot Plate Bracket
But wait, I know what you're thinking... "Perrin, that says 20 pin header connector, but the motherboard has 2x 19 pin header connectors..."
Relax. If you zoom in on the picture of the 20 pin connector, you'll notice that the top left hole is a dud. It is in fact a 19 pin connector that takes up a full 20 pins worth of space.
Also, it's notable that one of the 19 pin connectors on the mobo is for 2nd generation usb 3.0 devices, and the other is for 1st generation usb 3.0 devices... So you get to decide if you want your front panel to be for newer devices than your back panel, or vice versa. It's entirely up to you, and I can offer you no advice as I wasn't aware the there was such a thing as USB 3.0 gen 2 until I read that just now.

Oh, and in case it's not obvious, the pcie expansion card is a better option, as it gives you 7 USB 3.0 ports instead of 2. Also, I just zoomed in on the mobo photos and couldn't find the 2nd 19 pin connector that the specs claim is there. Maybe it's hidden behind a heat shield. I dunno.

Oh, and if you want a blazing fast SSD, this mobo does support m.2 cards, so that's a thing. I regret not telling you about this before. Way faster than the SATA SSD you bought, and roughly the same price. There's a 2TB card on sale for $215 right now at newegg. My bad.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

All good brother I'm gonna go ahead and get the one on Amazon and we will wait and see about the windows key I think I'm gonna go that direction hell even if the first one doesn't work I can get another and still try I bet it's legit tho
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3- ... ab&sr=8-12

What do you think about these sata cables
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

I won't need an ssd mounting brack will I? Yeah kind pissed should a held off on the SSD I just seen a 1tb goin for 100 on amazon
EvilTree{OZ}