Best Free AntiVirus program of 2019

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Best Free AntiVirus program of 2019

Post by perrinoia »

Yup. I used the raid array as my boot disk and a 200 GB IDE drive to hold my files.

One of the boot disks got corrupted, I removed it, reformatted the other, and continued using that computer until a friend's cat destroyed it.

I removed the 200GB IDE drive and installed it in an external enclosure, and continued to have access to those files until that drive failed too. Luckily, by then, I had backed up that hard drive to a physically smaller, but larger capacity external HDD. However, I forgot to backup that drive before it failed, and finally lost those files like a decade later.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Damn, that sucks, I feel you, especially the cat issue.

Yeah, that's the problem, everything fails after awhile, which is why you always have to have more than one back-up and save them on separate things, not on the drive you use all the time for your computer. I'll take a larger HD and partition it up. That way if part of it fails, I still have access to the other partitions, until the whole drive fails. Too bad it's not the same deal with a SSD or a RAM stick. The chip fails, the whole thing goes. But hey, I remember when we used to save things on reel-to-reel tape drives. :roll: Now I'm really giving away my age :lol:

I was helping a friend the last few days who was still on Windows 8.1 and having a bunch of issue's. Too many to list, took me almost 16 hrs. to fix all the problems, but one was Microsoft's problem. The SystemSecurity.exe was showing Suspended, turns out one of the certificates was showing expired back in the year 2015, and MS didn't send out an update for a new certified certificate to extend the expiration date, but while on MS's site, I found one of their techs give a recommended list of different programs which might help some, link below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... e6c544c100
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

Erowid wrote:Windows defender.

Don't click on malicious links.
:ugeek:
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Just dumped Bit Defender and now running only Window Defender. Performance improvement was remarkable. Especially browsers, YouTube, and my Java compiler/IDE. Just need to install malware bytes for an occasional extra scan.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, that's all I use now, Windows Defender and Malware Bytes. Both have pulled me out of a few things. And I also use CCleaner, just be careful if you haven't used this one before. It will suggest removing certain programs that you may need in order for other programs to run. And be careful on where you download Malware Bytes, it was found that some sites offering it for download wasn't letting you download the program, it was spyware or it's own malware.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

KILROY wrote:...And I also use CCleaner, just be careful if you haven't used this one before. It will suggest removing certain programs that you may need in order for other programs to run.
I haven't used CCleaner in a really long time. Maybe I should take a look at it again.
KILROY wrote:And be careful on where you download Malware Bytes, it was found that some sites offering it for download wasn't letting you download the program, it was spyware or it's own malware.
I just downloaded it the other day. Haven't installed it yet but it was from the MB home page.

Another new Win10 update last night though and things are suddenly lightening fast. Must have cleaned up a bunch of stuff. I'm a bit of a PC pack rat so no telling what kind of crap was running. :blush:
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

One of the companies i worked for did a study and found that it was not cost effective to shut off computers every night, but it was cost effective to shut them off on the weekend (or anytime an employee was out of the office for a day or more).

They also found that productivity was increased as every monday, there were no programs running in the background. This offset the monday morning confusion of trying to remember where the shortcuts to start your programs were.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I've heard both the positives and negatives of shutting down a computer.

If you work for a company, your computer for work should be safe due to everything having to pass through it's own companies switches, server's, and firewalls that were setup by the IT department, so leaving it on and connected to the internet, would be ok. The companies IT department has it's own programs to due security scans, and leaving your computer on allows them to do scans to your own work computer. But...I've seen where companies ask it's employees to shut down their work computers, due to the amount of excessive heat that each computer running can cause. This makes the central air conditioners to have to run longer and use more electricity, in which companies would rather replace or repair a down computer than a full central air system. Just your own central a/c for your house to replace both the outside compressor, and the inside HVAC central air unit can cost you 10 grand. I know, I had to help a friend replace one, and that's with my discount.

If you are using a computer at home and leave it on, and connected to the internet, you don't have the same type of security system setup as a company would. You would only have what you know from what you learn from others or what you read online, and what you decide to setup on your own system. Hackers have developed and become quite sneaky these days. Especially with scanning IP's with their own computers to find who they can do harm to. Which is why I suggest to turn off your home systems, if not setup with a home switch and server, or at least put your system in airplane or sleep mode when not in use. If you can afford it and your ISP is providing you enough bandwidth (not dial-up, DSL, or a satellite connect), I'd look into purchasing and setting up a home server with a switch. That way you have a main IP address that is incoming by your ISP, but when it hits your server, your server can make multiple channels and you can assign IP's via a switch and send those signals to what you assign them to be used. I've even seen where someone has taken one or more channels and send them to some website that's loaded with advertising or unwanted things to be seen, giving the hacker(s) a taste of their own medicine.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Death666 wrote:Check this out as well. Windows Sandbox...
Unless it's changed, Windows Sandbox isn't available on Windows 10 Home. It’s only available on Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Why would anyone settle for Windows Home Edition?