Water Cooler

KILROY

Re: Water Cooler

Post by KILROY »

I still like my wireless mouse. I can change the settings within the computer and get the sensitivities I like to use, and don't have that wire interfering while I'm trying to move the mouse around, especially if I'm gaming and need to move it quickly back and forth. The wire would just bother me moving with the mouse now. I don't use an expensive mouse at all it's a Logitech M510. You can pick one up at Walmart for $15. It let's you know when you need to change the AA batteries, the LED will start to blink red (LED will stay green solid if ok, then go off). It has a wheel that scrolls and also acts as a button and two side buttons on the left side of the mouse. Only other issue...just having to clean it, but that's for any mouse. Batteries last for months in it (4-6 for me, or longer).

As for waking my laptop while in sleep. My mouse will do it depressing a button, or I hit the space bar, but again, I don't leave my computer in sleep mode overnight. Your computer might be in sleep mode, but if on a hardline, your still connected online. If connected wirelessly, you don't need to worry too much, your wireless chip is also in sleep, but if the hacker knows how to wake your computer, you'll have issue's. Which is why I shut down. No output signal, no hack. Same with your cache history on surfing the net. Clear it everytime. A friend of mine who works in IT for local banks here, showed me how one can do things to someone who keeps their cache history without clearing it. Pretty scary. Another thing leaving your computer in sleep mode overnight, it's still on, running, generating heat. Heat destroys electronics. You might have fans internally, but are the fans running at their capacity keeping the system cool? Some systems shut the fans off to save power, some don't. Which is why I found it best to just shut down.

Sorry, can't help much here on the computer build. I haven't built a tower for over 10 years, and the one that I did build, I ended giving it to a friend who's computer went down due to picking up a MSI gaming laptop with quad core i7's processors, NVIDIA GTX870M vid chip, super raid 2, and matrix display (you can hook-up 3 external monitors to it). I'd have to do some online research just to see what's new today, but as for this laptop....I don't think I'll ever go back to a tower again. This thing has been pretty awesome, and portable! I can take it anywhere and use it. Like when I visit my sister and family in Colorado, I can hook-up to their network and play games head-to-head with her whole family.

One thing I would recommend...after using this multi-processor setup, I'll never go back to a single processor. If you can afford it, I would recommend a multi-processor setup. The difference in speed you will see very quickly. Another thing I like...I'm using a Steel Series keyboard that is back lit with LED's. Using it at night with no lights...big difference in doing things.

I still use a standard hard drive in my laptop, but did add a SSD also. I really don't see a speed difference between the two, but the SSD is supposed to run faster. Both still work the same when seeing a bad sector or block, and both allow the same searches with programs to find if you have any bad sectors or blocks, or if finding some, use those same programs to deal with them. I do however, like the SSD, due to it being smaller and hold more. The HD is 1TB and the SSD is 3TB! (EDIT: One thing I haven't tried with a SSD is partition one. Not sure if you even can, but with my HD, I'm able to, and it helps when you have bad sectors on it. I'll have to try it out on a SSD to see. Partitioning helps prolong the life of a drive due to if you get too many bad sectors in an area, your operating system should automatically move them to the rear of the HD or SSD you are using, even if in blocks. So, for example...you have a 1TB HD and have a section of it partitioned to certain gig sizes, your OS will move the bad sectors or blocks to the back of only the part you have partitioned, not the whole drive, giving you a longer life on the drive.)

I am however having a problem with my mouse pad. It's a Roccat Taito Control 400 x 320 mm with a thickness of 3.5 mm. Cost me around $30, not sure how much they are now, but it's still in really good shape, except where I use the mouse. It looks like it has absorbed too much of the oil from my skin. The border feels like when I bought it new, and the center has kind of a latex glove kind of feel. It's not heavy, but noticeable. I've tried using dishwashing soap, glass cleaner, and 409. Soaking it for an hour or so, and then a good rinse, with no success. Any suggestions, or is it best to just go buy another?

EDIT 2: Correct typo and add, always remember to make a back-up of your system. I put mine on an external USB RAM stick. That way it's easier to reload if you have to replace your hard drive or SSD drive.