Multi-port USB Hub's

KILROY

Multi-port USB Hub's

Post by KILROY »

I don't use Cloud's online to save anything. My company offers this service. One of my companies departments works on issue's with these way too many times with people hacking them and then loading up their own coding disguising itself as the uploaders save, and then when the uploader goes back in to click on it, they get the virus, pup, Trojan, etc. I've even had this happen to me in the past. All your doing is saving this onto a companies server. Yes, it's free to use, but it can have it's cost as I described above.

This is what I do now. Most of your routers today have a USB port built into them. I bought a Multi-port USB Hub, like the one listed via link below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Insten-7-Por ... t/28881656

Then bought some cheap RAM sticks (link below) and loaded them into the USB Hub. So now, I just load everything onto the USB Hub, and when I need something, it's on my Home Group Network. You can also set it up so you have access to certain RAM Sticks, and people who use or access your home network has access to the other RAM Sticks, kind of like an online server. These can also be daisy chained (linked together) to expand the amount of RAM Sticks you can use. Just be sure if you do this, you don't go overboard on the amount of voltage these can pull off the one connection, or you can burn out the USB port on your router. Some of these Hub's come with a power plug that you don't need to use the power output from the USB port on your router. I use these also, and just use a multi-plug power protector which I already have powering my modem and router. It already has open plugs that I can now use.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820211763

Another option I used in the past was took an old computer and hooked this to it, turning the old computer as a server, hooked to the home network, and also gave access codes to friends to be able to access parts I allowed to either download or load up things. Since these friends didn't have the funds to purchase another computer to do this, I gave them access to use mine, since I wouldn't need all the room anyways, and they would stay away from using online clouds.

Just so you know, using these clouds, isn't all that safe. Anything you load onto them is being watched, always. It's the same as you surfing the net and then getting ads to what you were looking at online. This is how companies offer you these promotion deals. And yes, your ad blockers do help in these instances.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Multi-port USB Hub's

Post by perrinoia »

When i say i use the cloud, i typically mean i remember where i originally acquired stuff, and reacquire it fron the source. This way, i get updated stuff when i reformat.

Stuff i created myself is typically backed up on removable media, or in the case of my tribes maps, uploaded to gaming forums.

With the annihilation forums gone, i'm sure i've lost a lot of stuff, like multiple versions of my labyrinth map.