Suggestions on label making programs

KILROY

Suggestions on label making programs

Post by KILROY »

I've made CD's and DVD's for years, and used the plain white stick on labels, but never used a label making program, and decided to try it out since I have a HP 8610 Inkjet Printer that needs to be used more, and I'm transferring VHS movies over to DVD format. Any suggestions on a program? I see some listed online for free, but not sure if they are legit or useful. Since I won't be using this that much, I would prefer to find one to just download, instead of purchasing. Unless the only way you can find one to make custom labels is by purchasing.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions on label making programs

Post by perrinoia »

Typically the cd label sticker stock comes with a url on the package. It's often freeware recommended by the label manufacturer, with a premium version for sale. It's a good idea to use the recommended software because it should line up with the cutouts without any manual manipulation.

Personally, i prefer lightscribe. You just flip the disk over and the burner burns an image on the disk.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, I forgot about LightScribe! :clap: HP stopped support for it back in December 2013 via the link provided, but you can still find drives, CD's, and DVD's for it. Drives aren't too badly priced, but the CD's and DVD's are costly, and since HP isn't doing these and 3rd party companies are now, I'm reading where a bunch of people are getting defective CD's and DVD's. This would be my option to go, but I'll have to do some figuring to see if this would be cheaper, instead of buying labels and using an inkjet printer and having to purchase a bunch of ink cartridges to complete this project.

https://lightscribesoftware.org/

Just sitting here typing this out, I'm going to purchase this anyways to complete smaller projects.

Thanks P, you rock bro! :ttup: :banger:
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

No problem. Lightscribe is definitely not cheaper than adhesive labels.

I used to work at Staples, and we sold a few inkjet printers that could print directly on CD's. That was the best option, as you didn't have to worry about sticking the label off center, but again, the printers were not cheap, as most bend paper around rollers while printing...

Direct CD printers either have a slot that holds the CD in place or feeds the CD through without bending it, while detecting the edge and preventing the printer from printing past the edge. Of course, you also needed to buy print on cd's.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

i would just use photoshop lol
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads