Under the Map Caps and Ghosting

DaRk

Under the Map Caps and Ghosting

Post by DaRk »

After a debate earlier, I go to thinking about problems about the under the map rule. I feel as if some maps and the using of ghost leaves quite a few maps in question when ghosting. For example, on the map Down in a Hole, the flag itself is under ground technically. As you can see, I ghost from my flag to the enemy's flag under the map and make the cap. There are many other maps where this is possible. For example, I can set a jumpad in the bottom of the inside base on Raindance and ghost under the map to the enemy's flag. I'm not building a base under the map, but I am taking advantage of it. Does this really differ from making caps from ghosting outside of the base on Box? Would you consider the cap in this video legal or not? Opinions?

AnniDv6

Re: Under the Map Caps and Ghosting

Post by AnniDv6 »

Somebody that knows the mod would be able to shut that down fairly quickly by blocking the flag with deployables and then setting defense like putting force fields in the walls around the flag and some covered vortex and laser turrets. Personally if I were ghosting that map and nobody started defending against it I would probably just feel bad.

Remember that discretion is a thing people practice more than you would think. If everyone was as much as a troll as they easily could be in a hundred different ways we would never have a single competitive game ever because one guy would be flying transports into walls over and over, another guy just nuking his own base and so on. Coding against everything like that is not even practical. People generally want to have fun and play somewhat fair so stuff like this is only so important.

That said the general rule is still that if the map is openly intending for under the map play in some way then it is fair game, but if it's fairly obvious that you shouldn't be down there and nobody else is down there its probably cheesy to set up a teleport down there and launch nukes up onto the terrain when those players cannot shoot back. Ghosting is a little bit less offensive because again a competent defender will be able to shut that down at their flag and since you cannot stand in walls while ghosting and hurt people in the bases anymore it's just not the same sort of exploit.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

I honestly know many specific map exploits like these. Sometimes it's just hard to gauge what would be considered fair play or not, specifically with ghosting.

People have called me a cheater for doing so. I find it more fun finding these exploits than winning a map.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

One of my favorites is being able to do a front to back or back to front on raindance with ghost, but you have to hit the wall at just the right spot.
LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

So Owners please clarify what your thoughts are about this. And do we need to change the rule, as I know it as being illegal.

The map we were playing on that day, dark, was Midnight Mayhem which doesn't have part of the base underground. And when I spawned, you were spewing detpacks through the floor of your enemy's base. So you must of had a base setup along with an invo. to spew them so quickly. That was my issue. And then another ppl ingame, who plays a lot said to me, I don't care if you kick my teammate since he was HMing me earlier. And when I called you out you said you like to do it for giggles. Forget that part?
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

I didn't forget that Luna. That is always a fun exploit on that map. Of course I had a base under. I did it before anyone else was playing and stopped when you asked. I wouldnt do that in an actual competitive map anyways. Much easier ways and less time consuming ways to win that map. Plus the spewing of det packs only works on the backup server run by BR Owner, which doesn't have many of the patches that were later put on my Death666. You do realize many unintended glitches have become part of Tribes Luna? Skiing was a side effect of the physics of the game and wasn't originally intended. In base (the origin version of Tribes without edits) glitches like beacon jumps and nade jumps are often used by the more skilled players to help manuever. In fact, you're at a big disadvantage if you don't know how to perform those.

Do you remember the old Raindance glitch Death666, that if you were on a certain tile of the base ramp and shot the right part of the ceiling, you would drop to a hidden spot under the ramp and could turtle there? Worked on base, never tried it in a mod.
LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

You seem to know all the glitches and cheats to win the game. Don't see you are interested in others playing and if you keep this crap up other ppls won't want to play with you and what then?
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Just cause I know quite a bit of them, doesn't mean I use them. VGX. I won't deny I enjoy discovering them. Honestly Luna, how often have you even seen me play under the map, etc? Rarely causes I hardly ever do it. Often, I'm not even participating in the game when I'm messing around. Most of them are not even advantageous to playing a real game. You seem to be very angry lately. Good luck with that.

Specifically on Midnight Mayhem, I ghost to get the flag and carry it through the wall under the map and back above the terrain and make my way back to my base. Pretty much anyone who knows how to ghost effectively does this on this map and others like it. I'll even make a video for you if you want. That move has never been deemed illegal and pretty much is no different than when we ghost cap on Box.

On a side note, here is one where STU found out how to make APCs spin. Still one of my favorites. He hilariously kills me by having it spin and exploid inside an airbase I went hiding in @1:11.

LunaticChick

Post by LunaticChick »

You say it's a fun exploit and from what I have seen, you use them to your benefit. You are not interested in fair game play, it's all about you. So don't give us this bs crap like you care about what happens to this game. You don't have to explain your behavior to me or anyone else since it's not in the best for everyone. It's all about you and I feel sorry for you. You are ruining this game and enjoying it. If these servers where mine I would ban you.
assasin

Post by assasin »

Necro ghost is meant to go through walls and stuff so I don't think it's an exploit... Like death said, a good defense player will cover their flag to avoid ghosts capping it.. I will say it's an exploit only if people play with other armors under the map or set a new base under the map... If it's not fun for the other players when someone ghost cap then it's their fault for not covering it, not the fault of the capper for taking the flag..