Computer help

vistalize

Computer help

Post by vistalize »

ok so i upgraded some stuff:

4.5 out of 5 stars 4,204Reviews
Intel Core i7-9700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.9 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

Corsair RGB Platinum SE Water Cooler

And

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G Graphics Card, 2X Windforce Fans, 6GB 192-bit GDDR5, Gv-N1660OC-6GD Video Card

I have 32gb ram and a 600watt psu

I got everything running but for some reason the orange m_led light on the motherboard came on and my mouse and monitor do not turn on. The fans all spin the colors work and the gcard fan spins... my motherboard is a tuf z390m-pro gaming wifi motherboard..

Do you think its possible i fried my motherboard with the processor? I have taken everything apart and put it back together and still same thing i cant get the monitor to start. The motherboard is a mini atx so i cant hook it onto knboard graphics. What do yall think? Do i need more power because i took everything apart... to basically what it was and its still doing the same thing..did the motherboard fry? If so why are all my components still working?
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Re: Computer help

Post by vistalize »

If I did fry the motherboard this is what im replacing it with

MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) M.2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 DDR4 HDMI DP Wi-Fi SLI CFX Micro ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard

And im getting a 750 watt psu
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KHFMx6

Everything seems fine here. I wonder if the cpu was defective. I am taking it back. I may not mess with the overclocked stuff
EvilTree{OZ}
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

Anything on this page resemble what you're seeing?
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042678

OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I have a similar build in the queue. But with an 8700, a gigabyte mb, and a Mugen 5 cooler (I'll never use liquid). Power requirement is almost identical.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6bpnq3
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Not sure I'm reading this correctly, but from your second post, you were using your original motherboard and just updating components on your first post, due to relaying you did fry your motherboard and purchased another one, new or used? Have to ask, due to some do purchase used that have issue's.

Are you running one or two video cards? If running two, are they the exact same cards?

What type of ram are you running? DDR? 4500OC or less?

This board has No Display support when using the Processor model with suffix “F”.

Have you checked MSI's site for any bio updates?

What Operating System are you running? MSI is showing this supporting only Windows 10 64-bit.

As for power supply, I'd run at least 850w if not 1,000w. Most of my past builds were 1,000w with no issue's. I've done a few at 850w for friends, but 650w always had issue's, and not sure about 750w, questionable. Just make sure that cooling system is working correctly and you use at least a 240 radiator, you use some good thermal paste for the joining. Someone once stated: A Power Supply works best at 50% of its total output. So add the TDP of your parts, (you can use something like PC Part Picker) and then get a PSU that is above the estimated max TDP (power draw in Watts).

https://pcpartpicker.com/

EDIT: As for what you cool your system with, it does matter. Some systems that only use a fan or fans, even if running at higher speeds won't keep things as cool as they need to be. And if running liquid, yes, you do need to be careful so the liquid doesn't leak and short out things, but you can't say it's not the worst thing to use, what do you think keeps your vehicle cool? Your motherboard is the body, processor the engine, it's your job to keep it running.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Did you upgrade to the newest bios version before installing the CPU? That would be my best guess.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Any update?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Kinda old but saw the 1000w suggestion. Curious about that. The 1660 super c draws about 140 watts and the proc about 95.

LM server's down btw.

And a heads up. PC World has a legit special on Windows 10 Pro for $39 until the end of July.

https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-win ... ofessional
Last edited by OldGuy on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, the more the merrier with power, but not everyone can afford spending the extra, especially if they have to purchase other things for the build, which is why I didn't mention more.

Yeah, main server is down, but the backup is up. Strange seeing both servers dropping a lot lately.

OldGuy, can you provide a link for the Windows 10 Pro? Cause I'm only seeing it on PC Mag listed for $139 (regularly $199) instead of $39.