Regular game nights

LM|RCMP*

Regular game nights

Post by LM|RCMP* »

So, I have an idea to host either a weekly or bi-weekly game night server to give people an opportunity to try different mods that have long been forgotten. The server wouldn't be 24/7 as it would be self hosted, and there would be a password on it to prevent trolls, but I would host things like Insomniax, hybrid, havoc, paintball, ModX, etc. What do you guys think of this idea?
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
LunaticChick

Re: Regular game nights

Post by LunaticChick »

Sounds good!
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Awesome Idea! But we do have some of these mod's already hosted 24/7 with no one playing on them. Although one thing I haven't seen hosted for a long time was a "Kill The Rabbit". I mentioned it a few nights back, and a few like bugs_ even remembered it. There would be one flag, everyone would spawn at the end of one map and have to fight their way to get to the flag first. Whoever grabbed the flag first started gaining points unless they were killed by another in which the flag would drop and everyone would have to fight to take the flag to start gaining points. The first to a certain number of points would win, and a new map would start. Armor could be all spawn armor with weapons, or you could have it where you go to an inventory to switch armors and weapons. Although, I like spawn armor and weapons myself, so no one could use an armor to go under or above the map to hide with the flag to gain unwarranted points. And have it where you only have so much ammo per weapon, but if killed, you drop your ammo so another can pick it up for use, and have different spawn points on the map, instead of the same spawn point all the time.
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

KILROY wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:41 am Awesome Idea! But we do have some of these mod's already hosted 24/7 with no one playing on them. Although one thing I haven't seen hosted for a long time was a "Kill The Rabbit". I mentioned it a few nights back, and a few like bugs_ even remembered it. There would be one flag, everyone would spawn at the end of one map and have to fight their way to get to the flag first. Whoever grabbed the flag first started gaining points unless they were killed by another in which the flag would drop and everyone would have to fight to take the flag to start gaining points. The first to a certain number of points would win, and a new map would start. Armor could be all spawn armor with weapons, or you could have it where you go to an inventory to switch armors and weapons. Although, I like spawn armor and weapons myself, so no one could use an armor to go under or above the map to hide with the flag to gain unwarranted points. And have it where you only have so much ammo per weapon, but if killed, you drop your ammo so another can pick it up for use, and have different spawn points on the map, instead of the same spawn point all the time.
Do you know anywhere to locate that mod? and for these game nights, I'd also take suggestions or ideas of what mod to host. I think the majority of the problem with these servers is everyone more or less gets hooked on one type of mod, which I think most people are hooked on annihilation. Now its a problem where people try to set up a bunch of servers with a bunch of different mods. sort of too much choice. Having one server that kind of rotates through the mods would give people a central hang out spot, to also kind of get their feet wet on other, sometimes more obscure mods
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Sounds fun. I would suggest football mod, paintball, and reality bites (except it's hard to get a full version of RB). Those three are probably the most complete mods other than annihilation.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Sorry RCMP, I don't know where to find that. Even bugs_ relayed he would like to find some mod's not hosted anymore to host'em.

I see a paintball being hosted off and on, and the server starting to get more activity on it, sometimes 6 on playing. But yeah, football would be nice to see again also. Not sure if I know reality bites, maybe just don't remember it, but might if I start to see or play it again.

I started with Shifter, then Renegades, then Ultra Renegades, which I'm not seeing anymore. Then moved to HaVoC, in which I see one server still hosted 24/7, until Anni came out.

Heck, I even miss just playing a regular base map every so often.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

That's true I forgot Shifter, Renegades and Havoc are also all pretty complete mods. Ultra-Renegades is just Renegades, but every single weapon has unlimited ammo and no reload time. Someone made a 'Ultra' version of pretty much every mod back then, there's even Ultra-Annihilation.

As far as Reality Bites goes I have never found the full version of the mod online because I don't think Dead Taco ever released it publicly. You can download a version of it, but it's a severely limited version of the mod.
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

KILROY wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Heck, I even miss just playing a regular base map every so often.
See, its things like that that are excellent suggestions.

Now as far as the password for the server, sharing it would be tricky as I want to make it simple enough, but also try to limit the amount of trolls, so what I'll probably do is encode it with a Caesar cipher, and basically if you know how to decode it (which is pretty damn easy, theres tools online for that), you'll easily be able to join. I know it seems like extra work, but meh, I personally don't want my server being a flame fest and not be enjoyable.
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Has anyone ever had a C & H (Capture and Hold) mod? You know, there are different areas with an insignia that has to be touched in order for a team to start gaining points. Each team has to fight it's way to get to this insignia to touch it to gain these points. The team who reaches a certain amount of points, wins the map. There could be map's that only have one insignia, or you could have more than one insignia around a map.
picea_sitchensis

Post by picea_sitchensis »

What nights are most people generally on, Saturday?