Off Topic, must see tho KEN BLOCK

DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Re: Off Topic, must see tho KEN BLOCK

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Beavis wrote:Like the donuts in the donut store parking lot,,,,Lol.
i also saw the irony in that and smiled.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Beavis wrote:
<!>KILROY wrote:
SGT ROCK wrote:Saw that on Yahoo a lil while back but not the vid... DaYuM! That's a LOTTA horses for a pony car eh !!! Looks like a lot of fun drifting with it, but I'm not sure I'd have 4wd on one. Pretty cool deal though !
I'm sure you meant "ALL" Wheel drive, correct? Like the Subaru WRX's with twin turbo's, in which a bud of mine replaced both turbo's from a speed shop he works at with 2 aftermarket $10K turbo's and a few other mod's and is taking Corvette ZR1's in the quarter mile now :twisted:
need video of that shit,,,really
Man, wish I could, or even had the funds back then to buy something to take a pic or vid of it. This was back in the mid to late 90's. I think he may live in Colorado now, but not sure, and I'm not sure if he even still has the vehicle. We lost touch when I had transitioned to Coudersport, PA to train people their in job positions for 4 1/2 yrs. Then I had to go to India to do the same. We lost touch when I left from Austin, TX to Coudsport, PA. (And yes, I had traveled a bunch for my job. Seen almost all 50 states, except Hawaii, and been to the India region and Orient.)
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

<!>KILROY wrote:
SGT ROCK wrote:Saw that on Yahoo a lil while back but not the vid... DaYuM! That's a LOTTA horses for a pony car eh !!! Looks like a lot of fun drifting with it, but I'm not sure I'd have 4wd on one. Pretty cool deal though !
I'm sure you meant "ALL" Wheel drive, correct? Like the Subaru WRX's with twin turbo's, in which a bud of mine replaced both turbo's from a speed shop he works at with 2 aftermarket $10K turbo's and a few other mod's and is taking Corvette ZR1's in the quarter mile now :twisted:
Yeah, I knew that wasn't quite right when I wrote it.... just couldn't think of the term at the time. I'm no motor-head either, mechanically inclined but not as up on it as some of you. I've never had an AWD, if I had an oldie I'd probably just wanna cruise it... lol. Not too much into racing but I do appreciate the cars and the work.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

AWD is amazing.

I've driven just about every common type of drive, you can think of...
  • FWD (Front Wheel Drive)
    Pros: Fuel economy, and slightly better control than RWD on slippery surfaces.
    Cons: No control when towing, can't climb over boulders or fallen trees.
  • RWD (Rear Wheel Drive)
    Pros: Great for towing, when there is a lot of weight in the back (such as cargo, or racing engine).
    Cons: Absolutely worthless in slippery conditions.
  • 4x4 (Four by Four)
    Pros: Great for off roading, climbing over obstacles and shit, virtually impossible to get stuck, plus it can usually be switched to 2x4 for better fuel economy.
    Cons: Not very good at staying ON the road at high speeds. Lots of SUVs wreck every winter because soccer moms think 4x4 means they can drive fast through snow...
  • AWD (All Wheel Drive)
    Pros: Perfect for driving like a bat out of hell, in any weather condition.
    Cons: Poor gas mileage, and not very good at climbing over obstacles.
The big difference between 4x4 and AWD is the differentials.

In a 4x4 vehicle, when one wheel slips, the torque is redistributed to the other wheels, allowing the wheels with the most traction to do most of the work. Which is great at low speeds, because even if 3 wheels are slipping, the 4th wheel can pull the whole vehicle. But it's bad at high speed, because if you are driving down the highway at 70 miles per hour and your right tires slip on ice, the torque will be redistributed to the left tires, which is fine, as long as those right tires stay on ice, but the second you hit the end of that icy patch, the right tires, which aren't spinning as fast as the left, will grip and spin you right off the road, where 4x4 belongs.

However, in an AWD vehicle, all of the torque is distributed proportionally to all of the wheels, all of the time, with slight adjustments per wheel based on steering. This means, if you steer straight ahead, all wheels spin at the same speed, but if you turn, the wheels on the outside turn faster than the ones on the inside, which prevents the wheels from slipping in any conditions. So when you are speeding down the highway, the wheels are all spinning at the appropriate speed to keep the car propelled in the right direction, even if most of the wheels loose traction. But it's terrible at off roading, because if most of the wheels are slipping, the only wheel with traction only has 25% of the available torque, so it's not gonna be easy to get unstuck.

I wish someone would make a car that can switch between all four drive types, so that it is perfect for every condition!
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

SGT ROCK wrote:
<!>KILROY wrote:
Yeah, I knew that wasn't quite right when I wrote it.... just couldn't think of the term at the time. I'm no motor-head either, mechanically inclined but not as up on it as some of you. I've never had an AWD, if I had an oldie I'd probably just wanna cruise it... lol. Not too much into racing but I do appreciate the cars and the work.
Hey, NP SGT, understood, or should I say SGT First Class (E-8) which is your insignia ranking ;)

Before I started in Telecommunications, I was a mechanic, and one of the first people to be certified in retrofitting car A/C's from R-12 to 134-A freon in the state of Texas. Also did car and commercial vehicle inspections for the state. This job position is what started me in Car Audio and Car Audio Competition back in the late 80's and early 90's. I ran that 1965 Ford Mustang with a group of sponsors, and my buddy ran a 1985 2 Dr. Honda Accord Hatchback which was completely gutted in the rear and shelved with 16 Rockford Fosgate 15's, 6 airplane batteries, and a 24K Gold Shrouded Rockford Fosgate Power 1,000 Amp. He had 5 Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" mid's in each door with 3 tweeters, a front center channel setup with a mobile video system and phone service. His alarm was a calculator keypad, I believe from Clifford, which would open the rear hatch exposing the Amp, when hit inputted another code the amp rack would raise up exposing his Sony 10 Disc CD Changer, processor, crossovers, and his 6 airplane batteries in where the spare tire used to be. He couldn't quite hit the loudest in the Nation. A Buick Grand National kept beating him by a couple of dB's. He only placed 2nd loudest in the nation, but did get the title recognition for the first vehicle with an upgraded audio system, mobile video, best alarm system, which would call his Motorola cell phone or his pager to let him know if something was messing with his ride.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

i thought the first class was e7. maybe i trippin.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

DaJ4ck3L wrote:i thought the first class was e7. maybe i trippin.
No that's a Staff Sgt. (7 stripes E7) The insignia he's showing is a First Sgt. E8.
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

I think Crow is right... SFC E7. I'm no SGT either BTW. Sgt. Rock is a comic book character from my youth. This is only the second time anyone has brought my moniker up since I've been back. I've never claimed to be in the military, never represented myself in that way. My father passed away in 95 in his 70's, he was a Sgt., served in WWII.. North Africa, Italian campaigns. He was involved in battle at the Kasserine Pass and was an M-10 Tank Destroyer commander. Sgt. was his highest rank attained, he was injured when his TD hit a mine in Italy and that ended his service. So when Tribes came out around 98 I had just sent away for his war medals and gotten them back and was really into WWII pretty heavy, I read a ton of stuff on it, vids etc.... Hell I'm over 50 now and he was kind of in his later years when I was born, he rarely spoke of the war unless you got him going and usually briefly at that. I asked him how he felt about the Germans and he said, "They were just fighting for their country like we were." So... Sgt Rock was a comic book hero of mine and I've pretty much always played T1 as that. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ! heheh

PS That's some expensive sound equipment, sounds amazing! Literally too I imagine, just love to listen to some great tunes on a great sound system. Heard some pretty decent systems back in the day but nothing like they have now.
Attachments
This is an M10 Tank Destroyer, open turret, also used as artillery.
This is an M10 Tank Destroyer, open turret, also used as artillery.
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yep, Crow, you are correct...DOH!! I've had a taste of the Army life via my father and that ranking is a SFC E7. An E8 is a First SGT with 8 stripes (3 on the bottom). I appoligize.

As for SGT ROCK the comic that you are talking about SGT ROCK, I have a few of them back from my fathers days. They are silver age comics and still in pretty good shape. Actually, I have quite a few Silver Age Comics in very good condition. One is Star Wars which last I looked was worth quite a bit due to it being a 3rd edition series. I also have some westerns. Hmm...I think I need to find out how much these are worth now. It's been over 10 yrs. since I checked. Thanks for the reminder ROCK!
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Lol, I know this because my dad retired as Sgt First Class with 30 years in the army. He actually worked on tanks in his early army career. Was stationed in Germany I think during desert storm. In his later career he worked on the helicopters.