OZ vs LM Scrimmage Results 1

Azul

Re: OZ vs LM Scrimmage Results 1

Post by Azul »

Isn't there a set distance in the air where if a player in angel goes too high, the physics break and they won't be able to go back down?

I think the solution is to have a 3 minute timer on a player in Angel class only where the flag drops after 3 min, with text cues letting you know when you are about to drop the flag. That would solve it real quick. If you pick up the flag again then the timer resets back to 3 minutes. I'm pretty sure if you fly so high you break the physics then if you drop the flag you can't get to it, no matter where you are looking. I've done that before. I'll try it out when I can.

(I'm guilty of this when its a hard fought map and we are ahead but our base is getting raped and I want to stall the game to the end because its pretty much the only way we can win)

As much as you dislike the strategy and call it pussy, it does work, because allows the game to be close and give time to fix the base defense.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

A timed drop is the easiest solution to stop both rapid border bouncing across the map with the flag and players flying way up with the flag. Having the auto drop only for Angel armor might be a good idea. Again, multiple people have messaged me about someone taking the flag at the start of a map and then flying up the entire match to troll in pubs when no admins are on. This isn't about typical play or scrimmage tactics.

In almost every game of Annihilation if your own flag is taken and you have theirs you end up holding the enemy flag while inside your base. Having the flag drop five seconds after you're alerted it's about to while carrying isn't going to be a big deal unless you are out skiing around the map with the flag five minutes after taking it from their stand which is just asking to lose the flag in a pub or scrim anyway. It's easy to make the flag drop sideways so Angels wouldn't be able to look up and catch it and do we really want to keep an unattainable player with the flag tactic for scrimmages?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Azul wrote:Isn't there a set distance in the air where if a player in angel goes too high, the physics break and they won't be able to go back down?
No. Coordinates are stored in floating point values, so you get the most precision at "sea level"...
In other words, your coordinate could be 9.999999, 99.99999, 999.9999, 9999.999, 99999.99, 999999.9 or 9.99999E9, or something like that...

So when your altitude is around 100,000, you start moving in 1 meter intervals with no decimal precision, which is why it seems chunky, as if tribes' physics were suddenly processed by minecraft's graphics...

However, if you let go of your mouse, and wait long enough, you will come crashing back down, eventually.

Vehicles CAN get stuck, though... So you could fly up in a vehicle, jam it in a cloud, and chill for eternity, regardless of your armor.
Death666 wrote:do we really want to keep an unattainable player with the flag tactic for scrimmages?
Absolutely, yes... I do. Also, I disagree with everything else you said, because some people actually do ski around the map with the flag, actively defending themselves against enemies. It's challenging, and therefore fun.

Forcing players to drop the flag every three minutes will prevent flag carriers from participating, and force them into hiding... It will only prevent them from hiding in two places. Heaven and Hell. But there are still ways to thwart that, such as pitchforking a platform into the sky and building a box to catch the flag when you drop it... Or flying a vehicle into the sky and deploying a platform on it... Etc...

Again, if we simply periodically bounce any players whose coordinates contain the letter "e", we prevent players from exiting the high precision zone which should contain the mission area.

If the mission area exists outside of the high precision zone, then it is a shit mission, and we shouldn't host it.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Are you hosting a CTF game or Kill The Rabbit?
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

no timed drops. we just need to set new boundaries, and have them properly checked on the z axis.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

KILROY wrote:Are you hosting a CTF game or Kill The Rabbit?
Either/Or...

You bring up a good point. I'd like to support multiple mission objective types, and the timed flag idea would screw with some, if not all.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

perrinoia wrote:
KILROY wrote:Are you hosting a CTF game or Kill The Rabbit?
Either/Or...

You bring up a good point. I'd like to support multiple mission objective types, and the timed flag idea would screw with some, if not all.
yes!!! new mission types selected at random rather than ctf. this would do the server great justice.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

We should do at least 1 spawn map next scrim.
SpydeR.
Site Admin

Post by SpydeR. »

sounds good
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

We should scrimmage again a week from today (March 27th)!