server is bugged !

KILROY

Re: server is bugged !

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:Rec files are tribes demos, Kilroy. Put them in tribes/recordings/ then run tribes, click demos, find the filenames and play them.

Or the uploader could have recorded with frapps or something and uploaded to YouTube.
Thanks for that confirmation, but I understand that, but anything can have wrongful coding in it that is uploaded online that you have to click on, even hidden internally. Look what happened to HP laptops now since 2012 with the hidden key logger that they didn't know was there, and haven't figured out exactly yet if it was something loaded via a software program or something else. Just because it's labeled as one thing, doesn't mean it can be or have something else. I know you understand this with the knowledge you have in coding.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah. You're right. I understand all of that.

In this circumstance, the files were uploaded and posted by another gamer, who claims to be providing proof of a glitch in the server.
This person does not have access to the server files, therefor it's safe to assume that it's evidence is not code.
In context, it's safe to assume that he's going to post screenshots or video evidence prior to reading the URL.
Still without reading the URL extension, it's safe to conclude that the file is a tribes demo recording, as any other form of image or video evidence could and should have been embedded in the post.
Thus the only logical conclusion can be that the file is a tribes demo recording intentionally shared by someone whose intent is to resolve an existing glitch, not create a new one.
Then I read the file extension which cooperates with my assumptions and deemed it safe for download.

That's how my thought process unraveled... How many more steps would it take for your mind to be at ease? Does it require a committee? :popcorn

Update: I can now confirm that I have downloaded, installed, and watched the demo recordings. Both depict failed attempts to load the game after connecting to the server. The first one loads quickly and shows a black screen with no options to do anything. The second recording loads 50% and freezes there.

Now you don't need to download the recordings at all unless you want to see it for yourself. :bore:
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well...with what I see every day, you would understand what I'm talking about. I can't go into detail with you with the clearance I have with my job position, but as Smokey says: "Even you can't prevent forest fires!"
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I think that's the opposite of what he says...
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

LOL...you caught that...."Only you can prevent forest fires!" Thought I would change his saying since it changed a few times throughout the 1900's.

I thought this one was pretty good:

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yes sir. We all need to fly to California and pee on the fire.
assasin

Post by assasin »

:bump: Titan forward momentum is gone again.
assasin

Post by assasin »

Ya probably. Weird glitch.