Fps drop on certain maps. Map pack request for Death666.

S_hift

Fps drop on certain maps. Map pack request for Death666.

Post by S_hift »

Crow can attest to this, some of the maps cause drastic fps drops. I was wondering if you could send me the br map pack. I'll single handedly go through the maps one by one and fix the frame rate issues on each map. Some of these issue pertain to the screensize of the map terrain. Certain base objects using high polygon counts. ect ect...

Some maps just have too many objects in general. One map I was interested in fixing was "Spider" this map uses the object shape located in human bridge. Legendary bridge. These bridges use a lot of animations with point lighting and overall too many shapes. Some maps are just plain laggy because you see too much, not enough fog. or too much visible distance.

I'm not the only one who faces these problems as well. 1.40 users are also subject to fps loss with certain base objects and map nuances.

Edit: I'll also fix the home-groups on some of the maps were portable generators don't work. Ice ridge particularly. I think the main problem with ice ridge is that there is no bulked group for everything that belongs to team -0 and team -1.
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
AnniDv6

Re: Fps drop on certain maps. Map pack request for Death666.

Post by AnniDv6 »

Yes and no. I already posted the new maps that were added on June 1st in another thread, however I'm currently in the process of fixing a lot of these issues already and adding other general fixes for the current maps as well as adding at least 30 more CTF maps to the rotation. Until I'm finished with the next update it really wouldn't be beneficial to start editing them as those changes wouldn't carry over to the next update.

Feel free to take a look at the maps though and find the worst offenders and see what you can come up with. I would prefer not to have to re-go through every map afterward if we're only talking about very marginal fps increases. I'm only interested in the absolute worst performance maps at this point in time and also only for baseline configs such as vanilla tribes or vanilla 1.4. In other words I don't care to change bases in maps if it's your HD skins for that base in your config that's making your machine lag or experience low fps.

http://www.br.thelandofoz.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5363
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

But how do you actually know that you're making an honest performance modification if you're not running your tribes or editing the maps on a low end system?

Edit: spyder is pretty bad... Also for the strictly indoor maps that use a lot of Iblocks. It would be wise to tweak the visible distance, and changing the screen size to 64; since no terrain is seen anyway on said indoor maps.
virus

Post by virus »

Shift that is a great idea. I'd like to see the changes made.
[NHOP]Virus
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Can you explain the screen size variable? I'm not getting why you picked 64 or how that would help optimize maps. Also a lot of people do sneak out of the indoor maps to either ghost, set outdoor teleports, air bases and jails etc. so if it completely messed up the outside somehow it probably wouldn't be a good idea. I've never touched screen size before on the maps and by looking at the vanilla maps values it seems to be pretty random. What does it actually do and how would it help?
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

I've just noticed that a higher screensize number helps with larger maps and a lower one for smaller maps. Its nothing random really. Raindance uses 61 but most small maps use 30

edit: also I see doing the outside of the map basically the same thing as under mapping. Those indoor maps should just be shoved deep under the map. To avoid people from doing really gay things like setting a jail outside. Some maps I don't really have a problem with doing because its fairly easy to figure out how to get outside.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Hmm Okay. I still don't get what it's actually changing? Maybe Crow knows. Can you post some before and after examples with performance increase or something?

The maps that need to be are kept way up high rather than way underground because of a rather nasty exploit I won't go into. Also vehicles and the OS launcher are broken when used underground. It also doesn't stop people anyways as you can still easily get up to the surface with multiple armors most notably boosting up with a teleport in warrior or just pitchforking up on a platform in builder.

On the sealed indoor maps people getting outside is caused by a lack of deploy area detection on mobile inventories and the teleport pad. We fixed this on the <!> server, but it still hasn't made it to BR. Basically you can deploy them into walls and ceilings.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

I hope that it doesn't make it to Br. Because frankly that patch was utter bullshit. Everything about the <!> edit catered to noobish behavior.

Weak particle beam turret killer mode.(forcing players to use standard all the time to snipe confined them to the ground)
not able to deploy jumppads on lasers. (which btw utilizes and makes jumppads for more than just jumping)
triangle shapes aka laser covers (makes it all the more easier for noobs to turret farm)
not being able to tuck a inventory flush with a wall.
one shot kill medium armors with an os missile.
1 nuke kills blastwalls
extremely weak deployables. Weaker than anni 2.3

I hope none of these things ever make it into br. Everything is balanced perfectly thanks to Crows help.

Moving on the the screensize. You might just want to take my word on this as crow would probably be able to explain it better. Larger maps = larger screensize. Its a trend I've noticed. As far as the indoors maps. Why should there even be fog? or a visible distance?
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Death666 wrote:Hmm Okay. I still don't get what it's actually changing? Maybe Crow knows. Can you post some before and after examples with performance increase or something?

The maps that need to be are kept way up high rather than way underground because of a rather nasty exploit I won't go into. Also vehicles and the OS launcher are broken when used underground. It also doesn't stop people anyways as you can still easily get up to the surface with multiple armors most notably boosting up with a teleport in warrior or just pitchforking up on a platform in builder.

On the sealed indoor maps people getting outside is caused by a lack of deploy area detection on mobile inventories and the teleport pad. We fixed this on the <!> server, but it still hasn't made it to BR. Basically you can deploy them into walls and ceilings.
Sand showed me this glich one time. I forgot how it went though. Ohh wait I remember. Plat then necro, then invo. Still one of the funner glitches I think lol.

Well in order, Invo, plat, necro.

On a side note, I always use to love the maps with the underground bases/pathways, like Roach Motel using an example. There are some active map makes that go by |S|||S|Lux and Stained. They have like 4-6 maps made atm, and some of them are pretty good. One of the maps has a neat little under ground pathway on a rd terrain. When they're finished editing the maps I told them I'd throw them on the main server to get game play. They both still get on weekly, you can sometimes see them in a PW server together. They work on the maps together. I go in and talk with them sometimes, and they stop by my beta server to see my newest updates.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

Actually I think I can explain exactly how the screenisize works. When terrain warps its because your client wants to reduce cpu strain on things that you're seeing from a distance. In other words the higher the screen size the less polygons you'll PERCEIVE in the terrain.

However the polygons are still there. The idea is to reduce stress on the server and lower end clients. Most people using 1.40 already have the preference to screensize =1; hence why you don't see terrain warping. however you could also use this preference in a 1.11 client and it would have the same effect. The only thing special about 1.40 is that it detects your cpu speed and accommodates the openGL settings for your client based on your computers specifications.

Also the lighting. If you want to easily fix lighting on a certain map. You can simply copy the sun from broadside and paste it into another map. The copy feature in the map editor works exactly like windows default. Simply click on a object from a different map that you wish to use and then paste it into the map that you're editing.