Latest anni weapon hud?

D4M45T3R

Re: Latest anni weapon hud?

Post by D4M45T3R »

tfw when i woke up @ 6 am and for a minute i thought i was tribe weapon hud. :S
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

perrinoia wrote:I don't need to check my K/D ratio, because I've got this wonderful thing called a brain that remembers whether I killed or died...

If I remember more deaths than kills, I need to improve, and if I remember more kills than deaths, I don't end up throwing my input peripherals at my output peripherals.

But more importantly, I don't pay much attention to useless stats, like that anyway, unless I'm playing DM, because I'm a team player whose objective is defined by the mission, not some arbitrary hud that doesn't have any baring on the goal of the game (Usually CTF).

I think this brings a very good point to the table. In CTF K/D means nothing more than being able to camp and snipe from a hill. While this might be ideal in DM style games where points are converted into team score. This is very impractical for CTF.

However I do find it nice to be able to see my stats every now and then. The server stat tracking is great and works even better because it records almost everything you do. I see no point in having a client stat track or a hud for that matter. That's the kind of single directional mentality we need to get away from in a mod.

I used to think these things were nice and fancy, but it really gets boring after a while. It also distracts from fulfilling your role as a teammate. There is so much you can do to help your team why limit yourself?

That is what differentiates us sharks from the remora fish
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Exactly...

Don't get me wrong, if I'm playing DM, I might find that info more useful, but I'd still rather hit tab or "o" to see it, than have a hud on my screen all of the time.

The problem with client-side stat tracking is that it only tracks stats while you are connected to the server. Let's take the flag hud as an example (because I actually use that, even though I hate it).

If I connect to a server mid game, the flag hud says 0:0 regardless of what the actual team scores are. Also, it doesn't care what the flag's score values are... It's possible to make one team get 2 points for each flag cap while another only gets 1, so one team can cap out the mission faster than another... Flag hud won't indicate that at all. Flag hud also ignores tower switches, and other things that increment team scores, such as raping in D&D maps.

So, basically, what I'm saying is client-side stat trackers are absolutely worthless.

On the other hand, if you used a server-side stat tracker, in conjunction with a client-side hud, that would be a different story...

It still wouldn't be my preference to have that shit displayed on my screen 24/7, but I do occasionally check the score menu and objectives screen, so I can see how that information would be useful to someone whose ego demands that they be on the top of the list (not naming names, nevermore).

PS: The thing that pisses me off, the most about the flag hud, is the fact that I've never seen one that supports more than 2 teams, in a game that supports up to 8.
Groove

Post by Groove »

ya but

idk about u guys but i haven't actually played a map with more than 2 teams since like... 1998
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

last year for me. we have a few maps on the server with multiple teams. i think i played one this year too (8ball).

and 2 each is own perr.
Attachments
2eachisown.jpg
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Is that the map where I capped three times, and then you switched teams and started team killing me, so I switched teams again and had to fight my own defenses?

Yeah, that seems like a fair assessment of your skills. :sarcasm:
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

2 caps*
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me!