[Map] The Lost City

S_hift

[Map] The Lost City

Post by S_hift »

I decided to redo "A Forgotten City" due to its lack of creative effort. In fact I redid it too much to the point were I basically just made a new map. Enjoy.

S_hift

ps: Death666, I didn't add/renew the description details. I'm just being careful because I don't want to break my map.
pps: Ghost, I spent about ten minutes trying to trim that map down to a more suitable size. After that I just said fuck it and gave up lol

PREVIEWS
The Lost City.zip
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: New Map: The Lost City

Post by perrinoia »

That looks fucking awesome!

I never did like how the old map had all the buildings at strange angles.... It would have been more appropriately named "Sinkhole", to describe why the buildings were all falling over, and therefor the city was abandoned.

Now, the city is standing upright, which makes them easier to deploy shit on/in.

Plus, I always hated the fact that the base was facing the wrong direction... Now that the at least one of the doors opens to the flag, and there is a bridge pointing the way to the enemy base, I won't get as turned around.

But here's the real test, of a good map...

Where are the spawn points, and which direction do they face?

I'll have to download the map, to find out.

Good work, you S_hifty eyed, mother fucker!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

OK, I just played around with it a bit, and I've got 2 suggestions.

Turn the one DropPointMarker on each balcony to face the enemy base.
Add elevators to the big towers (or, even better, grav lifts!)

Something like this:

Code: Select all

function GravLift::onTrigger(%this, %that, %trig)
{
	if(getObjectType(%that) == "Player" && Player::isJetting(%that) && %this == %trig)
	{
		GameBase::playSound(%that, SoundEnergyPackOn, 0);
		GameBase::setEnergy(%that, GameBase::getEnergy(%that) + Player::getArmor(%that).jetEnergyDrain);
	}
}
Might need to tweak the math until energy from jetting is replaced, but not energy from charging pbeam.
Wouldn't want campers with unlimited energy, floating in a 3 walled elevator shaft, now would we?

PS: I love the rock half pipes.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

yeah go for it and remove the platforms. I'll just put windows so they cant snipe from inside the two big towers. Then maybe add some small ramps on the sides of the towers so players can do some sick drop ins or something lol
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

I like the ramps.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

yeah this map is def still in beta, I plan to make the ramps appear more natural. Obvious they're ramps, I want to make them look like they're not but at the same time are.

edit: it would be cool to see a lot of the less creative maps replaced with remakes. I'm gonna do a remake of riot but riot is a good map already.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

S_hift wrote:yeah this map is def still in beta, I plan to make the ramps appear more natural. Obvious they're ramps, I want to make them look like they're not but at the same time are.

edit: it would be cool to see a lot of the less creative maps replaced with remakes. I'm gonna do a remake of riot but riot is a good map already.
the best ramps, look like ramps when you sliding down them.

aka seamless.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

i just had an idea. How about a map rotation of remakes?

I think this would be a great selection of map mixtures to keep things fresh "CTF Remixed" kind of like a custom playlist
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Hmm... Broadsides has been remade 800 million times, and none of them are any good.

I was actually thinking of putting the gravlifts on the outside part of the towers, that look like elevator shafts... The grav lifts don't actually cushion your fall, just replace energy when you use your jets... So, you can fly up the shaft and still have full energy at the top.

I figured out that 6 * Player::getArmor(%that).jetEnergyDrain is what needs to be replaced, 3 times a second (which is how often triggers trigger. But I'm having a problem with the sound effect I play continuing to play long after I've left the elevator shaft... The sound stays in the elevator shaft, it doesn't follow you... So by the time you get to the top of the shaft, your speakers want to jump out and beat you to death.

Anyone know how to stop continuous sound effects?
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

why not just create a couple of local sounds that play over and over at that position?