[map/wip]Drydock

Fixious

[map/wip]Drydock

Post by Fixious »

Inspired by Drydock from T:A. Only have the one side done. Never made a map before so I'm learning as I go. How would I go about adding more inventory stations and turrets? I can't set their team from within the editor. Do I have to edit them manually in the .mis file and adding them to the appropriate simgroup/team? Did that in Legions. Tedious, but doable I s'pose.

(ignore the color issues. Using a very basic 1.11 config and no wide-screen fix)

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: [map/wip]Drydock

Post by perrinoia »

Before adding an object, you should select the group (or an object within the group) you wish to add the object to, from the Object Tree in the upper right corner of the editor. When added, objects will assume the team of their parent group.

Also, I highly recommend the use of the snap feature, which is accessible by pressing the letter o.

Don't forget to save frequently, as the editor is unstable.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Ah, good to know. I've got capslock on which helps keep it on the grid (or whatever the hell it does). I'll look into using O. And yes, Legions' unstable editor taught me to save often.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, capslock is a shortcut to one of the check boxes in the o menu... Planar movement, I believe.

The idea is, with planar movement enabled, the object's z axis should be locked, and it should move across the x and y axis.
Without it enabled, it should stick to whatever surface is behind it, such as the terrain, or another building.

Although, there are times when it does neither, and simply climbs closer and closer to the editor camera, no matter what state capslock is in. I dunno what causes that, but it really pisses me off.

In case you are wondering, the terrain grids are 16x16, of whatever unit of measurement the editor uses... I like to think it's meters.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Adding the stations was ez-pz once I selected the team I wanted. Thanks for that. One more question:

I added a center objective, but DS automatically has control of it when the map starts. The code for it (just copy/paste from Scara) doesn't have any team variables that I can see. How do I make it neutral at map start?

Code: Select all

instant SimGroup "Center Tower" {
				instant StaticShape "portgen1" {
					dataBlock = "PortGenerator";
					name = "Watch Tower Generator";
					position = "-507.978 306.19 106.499";
					rotation = "0 -0 1.98579e-05";
					destroyable = "True";
					deleteOnDestroy = "False";
				};
				instant Marker "Map Marker1" {
					dataBlock = "MapMarker";
					name = "Watch Tower";
					position = "-517.489 288.898 35.1211";
					rotation = "0 0 0";
				};
				instant StaticShape "Switch" {
					dataBlock = "TowerSwitch";
					name = "Watch Tower Switch";
					position = "-510.175 296.087 104.419";
					rotation = "0 -0 -1.69984";
					destroyable = "True";
					trainingObjectiveComplete = "true";
					objectiveLine = "14";
					objectiveName = "Watch Tower";
					scoreValue = "1";
					count = "0";
					collideable = "False";
					rotates = "False";
					numSwitchTeams = "2";
				};

etc...
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Hmm I've never had a problem with that
try changing numswitchteams to 0 and make sure that the group the objective is in isn't a sub group of one of the team groups

Code: Select all

instant StaticShape "Switch1" {
			dataBlock = "TowerSwitch";
			name = "";
			position = "68.5329 201.713 127.938";
			rotation = "0 -0 0.279982";
			destroyable = "True";
			objectiveLine = "15";
			objectiveName = "the Bridge Overpass";
			scoreValue = "1";
			count = "0";
			numSwitchTeams = "0";
		};
Buildings inside the objective group will also auto switch team logos if they have them when captured and the enemy team won't be able to deploy some deployables on them.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Bleh. I'm a dummy. It was still in the team1 simGroup. Changed the code and it appears to be neutral at game start.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Things are generally done (at least v1), though one oddity remains. If you're on DS and capture the objective, the sensor doesn't always update on your command map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw20w4- ... e=youtu.be

Accessing the Tab menu updates things for some reason. I haven't experienced this while on BE.

edit: Upon closer inspection, it appears the radar DOES update, but the neon circle simply isn't dawn.
Last edited by Fixious on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

whenever I start a map i have rituals that I perform while building the map

- Copy the map you wish to edit onto stock 1.11 and rename it.
- delete team 2 or as I should say "team1" keep team0 present blood eagle
- Keep all drop points from team0 You'll see them in the same mission group
- delete or ctrl x all the interior objects on team0(BE)
- go to the drop points mission group on team0 and click on drop points to highlight the entire group. Hold CTRL and click on a drop point object to raise it into the sky so its not in your way when you're editing.
- Save after doing this so you'll have your map template
- press caps lock to lock the z axis as mentioned before. Then place your pieces as you would like
- Do not rotate anything until it is finished, this ensures that the pieces are perfectly aligned without jagged edges.
- After you are done making the bases make sure to save again.
-press caps lock to disable the z lock and go back to the drop points mission group
- open the start mission group under drop points and manually place the start drops where you want them to be.
- Do the same for the random mission group under drop points.
-after you're done with team0 select team0 press CTRL+C and then CTRL+V and move the entire group to the otherside of the map.

DO NOT EDIT TED LIGHTING
DO NOT EDIT TERRAIN

these will make the maps clientside :(

I know this sounds overbearing especially at the drop points part. I still don't know how to make my own drop points. But this method works fine for me.

Also you can import shapes from different maps. lets say you copy a mission group from another map, you can place that same exact group into your new map.

on a more personal note, the terrain is really the most important part of making a map. Especially if its a remake. There are better lush terrains that have holes in the ground than raindance. Look in the other mission types like capture and hold, defend and destroy ect. They all have great variations of the lush terrain.

Also if you need any help with design of the map, I have some ideas for the west side of the blood eagle base. You know where the ships are docked.

You can also edit the mission size, or the distance of the OB grid from the mission center. This ones hard to explain but it wont make your map clientside.
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Yeah I know there are probably better maps out there for a Drydock remake, but I've settled on Raindance. Especially now that I have most things in place. I know not to update terrain or lighting, same issue with Legions. I also kept the spawn points when doing Legions maps, as I didn't know how to make new spawns from scratch either. Plus it's simply easier to grab them as a group and move them all at once, then finely tune the one that are out of place/under terrain. Same goes for flags.

It'd be sorta cool to spawn a drop ship that flies over the map every few seconds, like in T:A Drydock :p.