My Mediafire links

SGT ROCK

Re: My Mediafire links

Post by SGT ROCK »

<!>KILROY wrote:Cheats, any cheats have ruined the game for players. This was set in stone long ago, and still remains today. This is the main reason the game is dying. People don't want to play with those who can't, and have to use cheats to try to get ahead. When you are supposed to be playing a "TEAM" warfare game. It's the TEAM that makes the game, not solo artist that have to cheat to try to get ahead. Those that use cheats have no HONOR CODE within the game and this also relays the type of character they have in real life, and this goes for anyone, I don't care who you are. You cheat, you have NO HONOR!
WELL SAID !
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Agreed, but what is a cheat, anyway?

Cheaters will argue that till the day they are banned, and then they'll change their identity and continue cheating.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:Agreed, but what is a cheat, anyway?

Cheaters will argue that till the day they are banned, and then they'll change their identity and continue cheating.
True...that was why there are admins to monitor players actions. An admin should already understand the types of scripts used to cheat. In the past an admin would see a player who was using scripts to cheat and warn them, if they continued there would usually be another warning, then a ban. Yes, they can mask their IP, but any IP can be traced back to it's origin, ban the IP not the player's name, and that took care of the cheater. If that person was sincere to play the game, they would post on a forum that they would start to play an honest game and the ban was usually lifted per a trial period. If they were caught again, the ban would stay in effect permanently, so the player was banned from that particular server to never play on it again. That player would move to another server and start all over again, but if the people who hosted the main servers banned that players IP they would be out of Tribes forever.
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

A cheat is any script or change to the original game files that creates an advantage for the user that other players normally don't make use of. Thus giving an advantage in kills, unobstructed views, marksmanship, etc. A script that has not been accepted by the general community and widely used that gives the player advantage in some aspect of the game.

Back in the day they had a big head model script that supposedly made everyones head very big which greatly increased head kills shots.
They had a mine color image that made the mines highly visible that was used a lot. :nono:

There's no sense in using them if you really want to play to win. There's no winning in using a cheat. When I make a shot, I MADE IT ! When I take a PB shot and throw a grenade followed by a plasma burst, I did that. When you use a cheat you're admitting to needing a handicap because you're not up to par with others skills. But the real LOSER aspect of it is that you haven't gained anything when the map is played and done. You may think you've earned respect but other players know or will and then you wear that label which basically takes away any respect you may have EARNED.
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

Firelord

Post by Firelord »

SGT ROCK wrote:A cheat is any script or change to the original game files that creates an advantage for the user that other players normally don't make use of. Thus giving an advantage in kills, unobstructed views, marksmanship, etc. A script that has not been accepted by the general community and widely used that gives the player advantage in some aspect of the game.

Back in the day they had a big head model script that supposedly made everyones head very big which greatly increased head kills shots.
They had a mine color image that made the mines highly visible that was used a lot. :nono:

There's no sense in using them if you really want to play to win. There's no winning in using a cheat. When I make a shot, I MADE IT ! When I take a PB shot and throw a grenade followed by a plasma burst, I did that. When you use a cheat you're admitting to needing a handicap because you're not up to par with others skills. But the real LOSER aspect of it is that you haven't gained anything when the map is played and done. You may think you've earned respect but other players know or will and then you wear that label which basically takes away any respect you may have EARNED.
Under that logic any Tribes script, altered config, or new GUI can be considered a cheat. Happy Mod is the only pervasive cheat I can think of. Plenty of people mess with their rates and other primitive default Tribes settings that don't work well and can be tweaked for better performance. This happens in all video games and it isn't cheating. For instance, s_hift's post here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=458 completely fixed random fps lag spikes I was getting and smoothened my overall gameplay. This gives me an advantage over players who haven't implemented the fix, but it is by no means cheating.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Fixes to make game play smoother as you mentioned Firelord is not something I consider a cheat, or scripts that help in visual appearance to help improve game play. Presto, Newopts, Inventory Turn Around, I do not consider a cheat. That's about all I can think of off hand, but any script you use that modifies fire, aim, toss, toss and shoot, or guides you to a dropped flag or the enemy flag carrier, or changes the appearance, like SGT Rock mentioned with the Big Head, is what I consider a cheat. Hitting your nade to toss one at an enemy, but it max tosses, is a cheat. For instance, if you can't hold down your nade button to judge how far to throw your nade, your cheating. I can go on, and on about others, but this would be a long list.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

<!>KILROY wrote:Fixes to make game play smoother as you mentioned Firelord is not something I consider a cheat, or scripts that help in visual appearance to help improve game play. Presto, Newopts, Inventory Turn Around, I do not consider a cheat. That's about all I can think of off hand, but any script you use that modifies fire, aim, toss, toss and shoot, or guides you to a dropped flag or the enemy flag carrier, or changes the appearance, like SGT Rock mentioned with the Big Head, is what I consider a cheat. Hitting your nade to toss one at an enemy, but it max tosses, is a cheat. For instance, if you can't hold down your nade button to judge how far to throw your nade, your cheating. I can go on, and on about others, but this would be a long list.
Pretty sure max nade is standard in 1.4 and is no more of a cheat than ski script.

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Erowid wrote:
<!>KILROY wrote:Fixes to make game play smoother as you mentioned Firelord is not something I consider a cheat, or scripts that help in visual appearance to help improve game play. Presto, Newopts, Inventory Turn Around, I do not consider a cheat. That's about all I can think of off hand, but any script you use that modifies fire, aim, toss, toss and shoot, or guides you to a dropped flag or the enemy flag carrier, or changes the appearance, like SGT Rock mentioned with the Big Head, is what I consider a cheat. Hitting your nade to toss one at an enemy, but it max tosses, is a cheat. For instance, if you can't hold down your nade button to judge how far to throw your nade, your cheating. I can go on, and on about others, but this would be a long list.
Pretty sure max nade is standard in 1.4 and is no more of a cheat than ski script.
And if you not using 1.4?

EDIT: Or are you using 1.40.655? A release on July 8, 2010
Dynamix stopped support for Starsiege Tribes on August 16, 2007 before the release of any 1.4 patches in which the grenade throw control was changed and added. Dynamix supported Starsiege Tribes from 1998 to 2007 and stopped support due to Tribes 2 not doing well. They released both as free downloads online to promote Tribes: Vengeance which also did not do well. If they did, they would have created a single player version with AI bots, but it was cancelled due to the failure of Tribes 2 and Tribes: Vengeance. The ski script was added during the support by Dynamix only a few years after it's release, the nade script was not.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Most 1.11 configs had item dropping scripts, ski scripts, full force grenade tossing scripts, radar huds, interoperability (interpolate to S_hift), and many more things that I considered cheats over a decade ago.

1.40.655 included all of those things and more, but was incompatible with happy mod, at first, so it was strongly encouraged by admins and server hosts, and all of those things I used to consider cheats no longer were.

Ever since then, happy modders have insisted that if all of those other things could suddenly become accepted over night, why not happy mod?

Personally, I was so disgusted by the witch hunts that I gave up prosecuting happy modders.

Every server ever, has always had one admin who sucked so bad that they thought everyone else was cheating, and banned anyone with a higher score. <!>PontiacTom is the most recent example of this, but there were many before him, such as ^AU^Grog.

Admins like that are the reason our community has dwindled to its current population... They permanently banned legit players, who didn't attempt to thwart their ban using proxies, stayed banned and moved on to other games.

Unfortunately, the illegitimate players thwarted their bans and made the game worse for those of us who managed to not piss off the Nazi admins.