Updating Raindance

blankgirl

Updating Raindance

Post by blankgirl »

Has anyone tried to modify a Raindance CTF map's bases to be like Tribes: Ascend's Raindance base-style(as far as a second entrance built into the back of the base)? I think it would be interesting to see, but I have no mapping skillz

yup,

blankgirl
Lawlz wrote:
S']['U wrote:
DaJ4ck3L wrote:i love blank girl
:ghey:

You do know that blankgirl is a guy, right? :shh:
I think everyone knows this since he posts pictures of himself after a fucked-up nights. XD
Fixious

Re: Updating Raindance

Post by Fixious »

Would require everyone to download a new shape file.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You can modify the location and rotation of anything... You can add and subtract shapes. But if you modify a shape, whether it is an interior shape (building), static shape(station), or terrain, you are making client side files that the other players must download to see.
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

I would just replace the main base with another one if anything. Raindance is one of the best maps, but it would be interesting to see how it would play out with a more accessible base.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The problem with raindance is that the terrain is not mirrored like a balanced map would be.

The hills are slightly different, and the holes in the terrain are different, too.

The raindance base covers up a lot of the differences, but when you replace it, you're limited by what you can replace it with, that will cover the hole.
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Really? I'd have to hop on to confirm, but from what I remember, the small hills on either side of the bases are pretty much the same. I can set the same defense no matter what team I'm on. I haven't used the map editor in over 10 years but I recall terrain editing as being straightforward so it seems like you could fix whatever imbalances there are if you want.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

One base is higher than the other.
The terrain around one base is flat, and the terrain around the other base is sloped into the base.
One team has a rectangular hole in the terrain, the other has a different shaped hole.
The hill with the trapazoidal pedestal block is the highest point of the terrain. The hill opposite is much shorter.
The bridge is closer to one base than the other.
One base is closer to the mission boundaries than the other, meaning less places for enemies to hide.

It's not a balanced map, so it's difficult to make bases that either hide the imbalances, or at least don't provide too much of an advantage to one team.

Don't get me wrong... It's definitely possible. Raindance is one of the most balanced, classic maps there is. The original creator did a good job of placing the bases, but not a good job shaping the terrain.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

If you guys can put bawb back on dev, he could most def make a downloaded patch for clients so that their tribes will auto dl maps
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Wrong. The glitch he abuse before has been patched in most versions of tribes.