Solid Color Skins

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Solid Color Skins

Post by perrinoia »

I didn't say my ion turrets kill you before you see them... I said quite the opposite.

What I said, was that if you get close enough to the turrets to get shot, they will kill you... You need to take them out from a distance, or around the corner, because they are mean little bastards, like the turrets from Portal.

However, since every pack has unique beacon abilities, there are plenty of ways to fight/avoid turrets. You can out-run one or two turrets with boosters, teleport past a lot of them with astral projection, destroy them with traditional weapons, or deploy your own, by using beacons while wearing an ammo pack.

By the way, I mentioned it would take 2 mortars to kill the deployable turrets, but what I meant was 1 to disable, and another to destroy.. Meaning someone could potentially repair them if you don't shoot twice. However, it does take several discs, or grenades, or most of your chaingun ammo to kill each...

So, one of my favorite tactics is to use heavy armor with energy pack... Using the pack acts as a booster, using the beacons acts as brakes. So I'd boost myself either at the enemy base or into the sky, and drop mortars on each turret to disable them... Use my brakes to prevent fall damage if necessary, swipe the enemy flag and boost away... Cap the flag, then come back with more ammo to finish off the turrets I disabled and repeat. Or, you could go with a lighter armor and try to move quick enough to avoid getting shot, which is really difficult.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Seriously guys. You should start your own LiveJournal and circle jerk there. This thread never needed to be more than a page. Way off topic now.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Your mom is off topic.
Azul

Post by Azul »

I was hooked on Anni when I first saw you could make a dropship come out of the sky with a beacon. This was back in the early 2000's when I was just a teen and my friend and I would LAN til all hours of the night in full Tribes Anni servers and deploy a ship and guard it. That's all we did, we didn't even focus on CTF or bases. I wish Anni was a bit more wacky like that. That's what everyone loves, and it invites players of all skill levels. Base or LT does not invite players of all skill levels. You basically can't play if you aren't an expert at skiing.

I also think it is balanced. Sure turrets stop the scoring but there is a good balance between defense and offense (or just being a pain and annoying players by jailing or airbasing) on the server. I find it challenging and fun when a player sets a lot of good defense. It makes that 1-0 score thrilling and my heart pumping if the score is tied with a few minutes to go and I finally get to the flag.

So put me in the camp of more different types of turrets, more different types of armors and weapons, and make it the most intricate but fun mod of any game there is.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Aw yiss... I remember those days.

The first time I ever played Tribes online, I choose an Annihilation server because I used to play Total Annihilation.
I had practiced the training missions over and over, until I thought I had reached perfection, so I was slightly better than noobs in base, but I didn't know about the beacons. I was shocked, yet excited about the amount of options in the inventory menu.

I remember seeing someone boost and shouting "WTF? cheater!" and then looking over my shoulder to double check if my parents heard me.

This was version 1.31, and a few months in I noticed there was a 1.34 server, so I tried that. I saw the website link (zervoid studios) and decided to check it out. I posted thousands of suggestions, including drop-ship descent animations, so you're welcome.

I was even on the server when Scavenger was first testing the descent sequence code. It was a glorious time.

I probably should have been doing homework.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

OK, you've explained your mod a bit better now, and I can understand it. I'd be willing to give it a go and see how it works out, hopefully better than Anni. Right now I'm not Tribe's at all, I'm buried in Star Wars The Old Republic Online http://www.swtor.com which has all my focus now.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Off topic

Post by perrinoia »

I just had some awesome ideas for my mod...

What if, the turrets you deploy, fire the projectiles of the weapon you were holding when you deployed it...
For instance, if you deploy a turret while holding a chaingun, it will shoot bullets.
If you deploy a turret while holding mortar, the turret will shoot mortars...
If I can mount the weapon image on the turret, that would be the icing on the cake!

Also, currently, I've made it so when you use the energy pack, it boosts you just like annihilation mod does, and I intend to give the energy pack negative mass so light armor becomes like rogue angel while wearing it. But then I thought of a new booster method... What if activating the pack increased the armor's mobility even more... Allowing you to accelerate really fast, but the effect wouldn't last very long... I could accomplish this by duplicating each armor, tweaking the duplicate's specs, and toggling armors when the pack is activated/deactivated, kinda like how ghost pack works.

Lastly, instead of deploying turrets when using beacon while wearing ammo pack, I'm thinking of throwing ammo bombs. They'd basically be mine type objects that blow up as powerful as mortars, but they would not blow up based on proximity to enemies. They would blow up when damaged, delete when repaired, AND, when you use your ammo pack, it mounts a detonator, just like using repair pack mounts the repair pack... The detonator would detonate all ammo bombs deployed by you.

I still don't know what I should script for using beacons while wearing repair pack... I've been leaning towards a tranquilizer rifle, but I'm open to more unique ideas.