Solid Color Skins

DaRk

Re: Solid Color Skins

Post by DaRk »

Still a team warfare in my opinion, just different style of play. I enjoy both, along with other mods. That's what made Tribes great. The diversity of mods, players, and gameplay styles. At least you are honest.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

KILROY wrote:If you don't play, how do you know they come from a LT server?
They are like vegans, itching to tell someone where they got their inhuman skills while simultaneously explaining why they can't defeat a turret.

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Not sure how to take that statement since I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Keep in mind some have no choice on being a vegetarian or vegan due to medical issues.

It's not the turret that's the problem. It's the amount of turret's, type of turret's, and the allowing of stacking all the turret's in an area, with covers. There's just way too much of it, which is why I am turned off of the mod now, and why it hasn't brought in any new players, due to it frustrating anyone new who comes in to try it out. That's why Base, LT, and some of the more simpler mod's are attracting new players.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Perrin seems like someone stuck in his ways. Sad to see at such a young age.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I don't see an issue with these skins considering we have people playing with all sorts of different configs already. People play with high and low definition skins, different hud setups, different base and weapon and players skins etc. Seeing players and flags through walls and terrain and fog is cheating. Colored skins? Ehhh it's too late to care. I personally wouldn't use them because they look terrible.

Also Annihilation is still heavily team based. Try going heavy offense all map if you have nobody setting defense and see how that works out for you. When I'm fighting against turrets I don't think of it as fighting against AI, but rather that I'm fighting against the player who set the turrets because lets face it not all defense is good. Also there are constantly new creative ways I see people set defense from map to map so every match is different.

In LT there's really only so many ways a player can camp by the flag or chase you around the map. I never want to see Annihilation simplified and dumbed down just for the sake of new players.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Tribes will die then.

Anni, is NOT fully team based, it's turret farming. One can set up way too much D and just sit back and watch the fireworks. That's not playing the game. A TRUELY SKILLED TRIBES PLAYER, plays against others, not multiple defenses set by the opposite team. Tribes was based on "TEAM WARFARE". LT enhances one's skills when playing, and it allows a better team effort due to your "TEAM" having to work together to stop the advance of the other team, not using a MASSIVE amount of turrets to do that for you. A few defenses I can understand, but Anni uses way too many.

Even bugs_ who host a main server, hosts a LT server also and plays LT maps. He and many others don't play Anni due to the same reasons I don't anymore.

As for going heavy offense all map, that's exactly what I used to do with no issue's. It got boring after awhile and I stopped playing when all the turret farming started. The only team based playing in Anni is due to all the turret farming and D that is setup that has to try to be taken out. Yes, it's a one on one when away from each others base, but get close to any base and it's nothing but a bunch of massive turrets setup everywhere.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

KILROY wrote:Not sure how to take that statement since I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Keep in mind some have no choice on being a vegetarian or vegan due to medical issues.
No, obviously I'm poking fun at all the tools who choose a diet for silly spiritual or moral reasons (including those who bash cannibalism). :trolol:
There's definitely a difference between people with an actual gluten allergy versus all the hipsters who think that because a few people are allergic to something, no one must eat it, and then jump on a soap box and try to convince everyone else that they are scumbags for serving garlic bread with a spaghetti dinner, or that everyone should eat tofu burgers because they never had eyes. Fuck those people.
DaRk wrote:Perrin seems like someone stuck in his ways. Sad to see at such a young age.
HAH!!! Exactly how young do you think I am? :otopic:
Death666 wrote:I don't see an issue with these skins considering we have people playing with all sorts of different configs already. People play with high and low definition skins, different hud setups, different base and weapon and players skins etc. Seeing players and flags through walls and terrain and fog is cheating. Colored skins? Ehhh it's too late to care. I personally wouldn't use them because they look terrible.
I completely agree... I was merely pointing out that when I posted a screenshot that displayed my solid skins a couple years ago, there was a shit storm of people bitching about it being cheating, and the topic eventually got deleted.
KILROY wrote:Anni, is NOT fully team based, it's turret farming. One can set up way too much D and just sit back and watch the fireworks. That's not playing the game.
This is fundamentally incorrect, as you cannot set and forget D at all... You must maintain it. You must expand it. There's a lot of strategy involved in setting D as well as going O. You have to know your opponents strengths and weaknesses. Some players set D quickly, but it doesn't stop chameleons or ghosts... Some set good D, but you can still tear it up with pitchfork or particle beam... But if they set D and stick around defending and maintaining it, you'll have to find another way into the base.

Likewise, it is a team based game, because if you have one guy setting D, against one guy going O... The O will eventually win, because no one is ever attacking his base, while the O guy will inevitably find a way to rape the other base, so the D guy can't build any more D. So if your opponent is setting D too quickly for you to get his flag, you need teamwork to get past it, and if your opponent is tearing up your D faster than you can build it, you need teamwork to rebuild it.

Anni isn't worse than LT... It's different. It's entirely a matter of preference.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Then why hasn't Anni received any new players. Again, I've watched newbies come in, play for a bit and drop, relaying there's too much in the way of defenses, and they go back to a more basic server.

Now as for setting D and forgetting about it, you might want to obs the server more. That is pretty much what is being done and has been done for a long time since I stopped playing it many, many months ago. I started playing this mod from day one, it has changed to nothing but a D farm mod. There are not that many people playing the mod anymore, you maybe get 20 at most on a good night "playing" the mod, and that's one time a week. The rest are obs'n. Other than that, you will have a handful playing. Now, as for setting D, if you know how, you can setup D that can never be touched due to it being monitored by more D that you set. This is what you see happening, and this is what I mean by farming D. You set D and more D to defend the D that is already set.

Ok, I'll agree it's a team oriented mod, due to you needing one to do this and one to do that, but what the turn off is, is the amount of D that can be placed instead of an actual person defending or going offense to either capture the objective or flag. Basically, your letting the defense do everything, and if set up properly, you "can" set it and forget it.

And I'll have to take back that statement about it being more one on one away from the base. I've seen where people have set D away from the base that has taken out anyone trying to attack. Maybe I'm turned off due to the D being not balanced enough, I don't know, but seeing massive amounts of D that takes out anyone attacking a base or objective, doesn't appeal to myself or the other players that have verbally relayed their feelings about the mod. Maybe if the D was limited more as the damage it does, and not being able to place it as close as some do building up a strength that takes too long to take it out, might change on how I feel about the mod, but for now, it's just not my thing. Sorry.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

You've seen newbs connect? I haven't. Noobs to Anni, maybe, but not noobs to Tribes.

Many years ago, I attempted to play on an LT server, where everyone was passing flags instead of capping them... I was no good at catching flags mid air, but I was good at returning and capturing flags, so that's what I did. Rather than trying to hold the flag forever, like my teammates, I would get it, then go straight after the enemy flag holder. I'd kill him, and return that flag to base, then cap the flag I was holding and get kicked for continually capping out the map, forcing the mission to change, and everyone's stats to get reset.

LT players and Anni players have different goals. LT players want to ski and fight, and toss flags back and forth, while Anni players prefer a sandbox environment where they can build and/or destroy till their heart's content.

The mod I'm building is geared more towards base players, with a few annihilation features... For instance, there's no turret cover things, but the deployable ion turrets are much more powerful. It takes 2 mortars to kill them, and they are rapid fire, so if you get in their range before you fire your first mortar, you probably won't win against them. But players have special beacon abilities like Annihilation, so you can sneak through walls or fly like rogue angel and warriors.

Hopefully, it'll attract player who like to build and destroy, players who like to hide and seek, and players who prefer a more acrobatic existence, all the same. But first, I have to actually finish scripting it, which will likely never happen.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yes, new Tribes players, even servers. STEAM now has server listed for Tribes 1 via bugs_ main server and has some new players that jump in to try it out due to it being free to play.

You know for someone who hasn't played in many months, you need to get on more. LT players toss flags when their life is almost gone to keep the flag on their side of the map in order to cap the flag, so not to return it when the other team also has the flag.

Now, I will admit that way in the past LT servers had players that did this, but it wasn't something that continuously happened.

As for the new mod, I already don't like it. You can't say it's geared towards Base. Defense's should not be more powerful than the player, nor should it start shooting you before you can see it. I like the base ion turret's on base servers. They take life or kill you if you don't take them out in time, or if your life is low, but they should never over power someone, nor fire faster than the attacker. This is what has been also turning away players from Anni. Nor should you be able to place them grouped in an area, there should be a distance in which you can place D, not stack it up. This allows D to be used, but also a chance to gain ground during a match play. The object of a CTF map is to cap the map out, not to constantly keep attacking defense setup. The D should only be used to slow an enemy advance, not deter a player to the point of rage dropping due to constantly being killed by D.