[skin] Skybox 1.41 with autoloader

S_hift

[skin] Skybox 1.41 with autoloader

Post by S_hift »

So I fiddled with the skybox for a few hours. Found a bunch of good ones here and started converting them for tribes. I also took some screenshots at various positions so you can see how the fog blends properly with the skybox and the horizons. It also comes with some Hires base textures that I had put together from textures I found on the internet. I applied gradients to the skyboxes so they would blend better at various heights :D

comes with all public plugins and all the textures I've been working on.
file name: TribesSkybox2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gwnhsa2ce ... kybox2.rar

Credits
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9242

Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
KILROY

Re: [skin] Skybox 1.41 with autoloader

Post by KILROY »

Really nice S_hift, and I also like how you insinuated and highlighted destroyables.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

Oh thats just how i keep track of deployable objects. Once i find the texture that makes up the turret base i'm gonna start creating normal maps of all the turrets and deployables. I'm going for a glossy metal turret look in the future. These will probably be hires.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

yeah im going to need those asap
EvilTree{OZ}
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

So you made night maps into day maps.....
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

Yea... I found out you nasically do it with any 1.4

You can turn night maps into day maps too
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

S_hift wrote:Yea... I found out you nasically do it with any 1.4

You can turn night maps into day maps too
Pretty sure that is what I just said. The hidden question is 'should' you do this? It gives you a leg up over everyone else on those particular maps. Don't get me wrong; I like the skyboxes, just questioning their legitimacy on making night maps to day maps. I can tell you it would definitely helped skilled players have a much larger leg up on those maps. I'm not really okay with that.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

Wow really? It doesnt make them easier to see, the fog levels and visibledistance are defined by the server not the client. The fog render color doesnt even have anything to do with the skybox. Now if 1.4 allowed you to use transparent images to control the density of the fog thus removing it, then your argument might actually be a little more valid.

Also who would i be getting the slip on, people not even going for obj camping the hills?

So really the question is; should players be allowed to modify the skies in coordinance to modern games?
Absolutely! Updating the way tribes handles textures should be the pinacle of our achievements this year.

Some reticles give a player a tactile advantage over player who have a stock green one. Should this be done? Tribes has always supported user configurability since day one.

What about the radar hud that everyone is so fond of? Did you know thats technically a cheat? Tribes never came with radarhud and external hooks had to be made to build one. When hudbot first came out the radar hud gave an awareness advantage over other base players using stock 1.30

Frankly idc if youre "okay" with it or not. I just think its a little childish to knock something based on your personal taboos. We are all using a version of tribes modified to our own liking.
You could say the mouse wheel weapon change gives us an unfair advantage over ppl who use the stock keybinds. Maybe Ammo dump script is a cheat since it gives players a better chance at destroying a player with it.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Regardless of fog level, it makes them easier to see. The radar HUD has been normalized. You can get it for 1.11 and is pretty much standard for 1.4. What you are doing is a tactile advantage. If it becomes normalized like the radar HUD, I'll change my opinion. Until then, it is what it is.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

They do look nice regardless. You could of still kept with a night theme on night maps and still made theme look nice. 'Make Tribes Great Again.'