S_hift

[script help] Helpless.cs

Post by S_hift »

Code: Select all

if(getItemCount("Particle Beam")) {
  $pref::helpPopups = "True";
  	else if
  $pref::helpPopups = "False";
I want to manipulate the helppopups variable so that they enable ONLY when the particle beam is equipped, then disable help popups for anything else.

but yeah a little input would be appreciated. Let me know what i'm doing wrong. :fpalm:
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: [script help] Helpless.cs

Post by perrinoia »

Unfortunately, the variable you want is server side, and the only way for you to change it is to open the tab menu and select the option.

This line of code will open the tab menu:
remoteEval(2048, ScoresOn);

This line of code will select the appropriate option IF the tab menu is open.
remoteEval(2048, menuSelect, "weaponHelp");

You would have to schedule a delay on the second line so it gives the server enough time to respond to the last command...

The point I'm trying to make is that, what you want to do is possible, but due to the delays required, it would be very ineffective.

I think what you are trying to do is see your particle beam charge despite ignoring the rest of the weapon help messages.

Honestly, the most effective way to do what you want is to actually censor all of the other weaponhelp messages.

Step 1: log them. Log all of the bottom print messages (with weapon help enabled).
Step 2: filter them. Read the log, and delete any messages that you DO want to see.
Step 3: censor them. Edit the function that originally logged the messages, and censor the messages that appear on your list.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

yeah thats exactly what i was trying to do lol

but i see what you mean. it will disable help popups when I'm hosting?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

That variable is not used by the mod, at all... I think it's for the help popups that instruct you to create a new player profile and play the training missions, when you first install Tribes.

It's got nothing to do with weapon help, though, and it's a a client side variable that the server can't see, anyway.

The server uses %clientId.weaponHelp to remember who does and does not want to see weapon help, but that's a server side variable, so you can't change it without using the tab menu.

Also, the server is buggy, and periodically changes your weapon help preference anyway. I tried to fix it awhile ago, but didn't test the extremely simple change before uploading it, and apparently, it prevented the server from loading... My bad.

I'll have to do some more research and figure out how to fix that, and then make weapon mode messages display regardless of your weapon help preferences. I think that would solve your problem.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

It works fine remembering if you register. It will only remember your weapon settings pref instead of actual other prefs
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Oh... That makes sense... :sarcasm:
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

well it kind of does if you stop thinking about yourself for a couple of seconds. It would cause a bit of stress to record ALL of the data that is being tracked. So unregistered clients are probably considered low priority and their stats ect are erased whenever something gets restarted.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

No, I meant that it makes sense for the regular mod functionality to be broken because of crow's added functionality.
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

Oh. I think it works the way i wanted to now. I just wish i could auto disable help popups everytime i conect.