Just updated Labyrinth

perrinoia
Site Admin

Just updated Labyrinth

Post by perrinoia »

It's bigger, better, less laggy, and all kinds of good stuff.

The version on the server yesterday was an extremely old version. I had used HumanBase/base6 shapes as the floor and ceiling, but they had an untextured facet which allowed observers to see into the maze from above or below, and allowed players to see the whole layout on the command map, although it could be wrong the maze randomly changed while the command map was only rendered once.

The new version uses flat terrain as the floor of the arena and an invisible GroupTrigger as the ceiling. The terrain is 1000 meters high, nothing but map markers and waypoints are rendered on the command map. The group trigger bounces players back down without effecting their forwards, backwards, or sideways momentum... If you manage to thwart the bounce, it crushes you like an elevator would. The bases are redesigned and the whole arena is larger, thus there are more maze walls, but less base objects.

The end result is a mission that's easier to render and flags that are easier to capture.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that vehicles are immune to the trigger, so you can fly above the arena, if you wish, but if you get out you'll still get squashed like the bug you are. Also, you can lob grenades and nukes across the map, but good luck getting them to land on targets you cannot see.

In testing, deployable vehicles fell through the terrain for some reason, but could be flown back above the terrain and could not be flown back down below, afterwards... I don't understand this glitched, therefor haven't fixed it, but I don't see the harm, as there's a trigger to crush you down there, too.
S_hift

Re: Just updated Labyrinth

Post by S_hift »

perrinoia wrote:but good luck getting them to land on targets you cannot see.
well it just so happens that I'm the Kobe Bryant of lobbing nukes and the Wayne Gretzky of batting noobs. This should be fun. Look forward to playing the map sometime.

PS. could we please for the love of god open up a thread where the community decides what maps they want in a playlist? Like set a time and a date for a thread so that people can post and discuss the map changes. I can stick around and play OG maps all day but eventually someone votes a indoor map or a ground map and everything is ruined. People end up dropping cause a majority doesn't like a few maps in that rotation.

but yeah basically a post thread letting ppl know that we plan to make a forum meeting and discuss the map changes and would like the community involved ect. ALSO where tf is crow?
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I just made the mistake of trying to figure out why it narrows the mission rotation to the mission type when someone votes to change the mission and almost died of exhaustion.

Crow's gotta be dead from writing that shit.

To give you an idea of how unnessessarily complicated Crow's code is, the base function is 47 lines long. The same function in Legendz is 160 lines long!

Why is it more than 3 times bigger? Arena.. That's why. It has to clear the old arena (which should be handled in another function) and spawn a new arena (which should be handled in another function), and clear the old stats (which should be handled in another function), and more (which should be handled in another function)!

Imagine trying to lookup a recipe in a cook book, but in between listing ingredients, the author decided to list everything else in their pantry that you don't use, too. And in between instructions, they list instructions for other recipes, too.

How fucked up do I have to get to make sense of this code?

And this is why I don't want to fix it... It's giving me a fucking headache.

OK, That's enough ranting for one morning.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

Hahaha that's how I feel when I look at a lot of the code from Plasmatic and others in the mod. Keep it simple stupid is not something that exists in our code to be sure. Some of the functions are dramatically over complicated for what they do and then you have all of the different styles of code from everyone that has worked on annihilation over the years and everything is criss-crossed and loop de-fuckin looped. So for example when you guys ask for portable generators to be fixed you have to realize that we have to go and work with someones old code (that they either wrote as a science project in how many maths they could us in a simple function, wrote while intoxicated or sometimes both) or remove it to start fresh and neither of those things is ever as easy as it could be.

Is the new version live on the server?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

New version of my labyrinth? Yes. I haven't touched the mod in a long ass time.

I was poking around the newest version of annihilation from annihilation.info and am getting sick of seeing the following useless code:

Code: Select all

%obj = projectile::spawnprojectile(%proj, %trans, %cl, %vel);
Projectile::spawnprojectile(%obj);
Like, for real... Why? If that did anything at all (which it doesn't) it would duplicate the projectile that already spawned.

Also:

Code: Select all

schedule("dostuff();", 1, %cl);
Seriously bro? Since when did schedule need a client Id? Never... That's when.
blankgirl

Post by blankgirl »

perrinoia wrote:How fucked up do I have to get to make sense of this code?

And this is why I don't want to fix it... It's giving me a fucking headache.

OK, That's enough ranting for one morning.
I mean, at least you get paid well to do it. You really shouldn't complain about having a job that pays so well.

/s

<!>blank
Lawlz wrote:
S']['U wrote:
DaJ4ck3L wrote:i love blank girl
:ghey:

You do know that blankgirl is a guy, right? :shh:
I think everyone knows this since he posts pictures of himself after a fucked-up nights. XD
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Hahaha... The stacks of money I get are the same color as wonder woman's jet!
blankgirl

Post by blankgirl »

perrinoia wrote:Hahaha... The stacks of money I get are the same color as wonder woman's jet!
THAT is my favorite color!!!11

:coolio:

<!>blank
Lawlz wrote:
S']['U wrote:
DaJ4ck3L wrote:i love blank girl
:ghey:

You do know that blankgirl is a guy, right? :shh:
I think everyone knows this since he posts pictures of himself after a fucked-up nights. XD
assasin

Post by assasin »

just played this updated one . Good thing to not let anyone get above the mazes and so . The thing is , i deployed an airbase and it did deploy and you can clearly see anyone from that height . And also we werent getting squashed after dropping from the airbase but couldnt get inside the map as it bounces us above thinking that we never went above the height which can also be used for offense ! Can you make it such that getting above even with the help of an airbases squashes us or make it such that there arent any terrain and only platforms like before so that airbase cant be deployed ?
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

The air base pack is already redefined on map change so all you need to do is put this in the .mis
function AirBasePack::deployshape(%player,%item)
{
%client = Player::getClient(%player);
Client::sendMessage(%client,0,"Unable to deploy on indoor maps!");
return false;
}