Mod Updates

Jegue

Re: Mod Updates

Post by Jegue »

I've been playing often lately, and there are some things I believe should be adjusted after the updates of the last months. A few suggestions:

- Map list in the tab menu: the way is it currently, for many maps, you have to remember the name of the author before you can find the map you want to vote for in the list. The author's name should come after the map's title in the .mis file name, or the text in the .dsc file should be showed (I don't remember if this is possible though). Also, there are too many mission types for capture the flag maps, I believe there's no need to separate them into "CTF", "CTF night", "CTF community" and so on... Just "CTF", and have separate categories for "CTF small" and "CTF spawn", since many of these are modifications of other missions;
- Missile turrets: they're hard to find (because the new model is smaller) and hard to destroy (not sure, but I think they take can take more damage than the other big turrets now). The projectiles fired by them should have the same trail of smoke as those fired by the base rocket turrets;
- Limit for interceptor vehicle: if it still exists, it should be removed;
- Tank blast cannon: the new explosion animation is too slow. It covers the targeted area with "smoke" that takes too long to disappear, making it impossible to see your target again for a few seconds;
- Bots: they shouldn't deploy stuff, they can waste the team's turrets and barriers real quick.
- <!>Tariq^
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Mod Updates

Post by perrinoia »

I agree. I haven't played in ages, so I dunno about the missile turret issue, but the map categories were a hassle the last time I played.

In fact, they kinda always have been. That's what I liked about Tribes Vengeance. Every map had the option to be played with any of the mission objectives.

Unfortunately, renaming every map and editing them all to be playable with any objectives is tedious work.

I set out to do it, long ago, but never got close to completion. My inspiration was the planet names in mission descriptions. I wanted to use planet names as categories instead of mission objectives. Then, every map in that category would use the same terrain, but different bases, different mission center position, etc..

Mission objectives often overlap, anyway. In a single map, players might choose to capture the flag, capture towers, rape bases, or just slaughter each other. All of these actions effect your personal score, the only difference mission objectives make is how those actions effect the team score and when the mission ends. But that can also be accomplished through object attributes. You can modify each individual object's team score value. Destroying a generator, inventory station, or turret, or capturing a flag or tower, could earn your team 0 points each or 1 point each or 1000...

Therefore, it should be possible to vote to change the mission without changing the map. Likewise, changing the map should reset the scores, but not change the rules of the game.

But there are hundreds of map files on this server, and modifying all of them to do what I describe would take forever.