MIDAIR (Tribes Inspired Game) Released, Now Free to Play

vistalize

Re: MIDAIR Kickstarter

Post by vistalize »

I dont mean to sound like an asshole but I still dont know why people try to make these games they only survive for a year tops. Not to mention most the fan base seems like Tribes players its bound to fizzle up quickly. "You guys will be back!"

$125 ? Hellz to the no :P
EvilTree{OZ}
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

$175, actually.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

It's going to be free to play, eventually... The kick starter campaign is how they can pay the programmers and 3d modelers, while still giving the product away for free. You're not really buying the game... You're donating to the developers...

How much money have you spent on Tribes, thus far?
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Hmm....I don't have a bunch of receipts since my beta days, but probably since the late 90's till now, a few grand easily.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Exactly...

Just about every dollar I've ever spent on computers was simply so I could play tribes...

The first computer I built cost me around two grand, as did the last... I've also built prefab computers for $800, $700, $600, and $275.

So that's over $6000 in hardware, plus the original purchase price of Tribes ($10), and all of it's sequels...

You've also got to consider that I really wouldn't give a shit about internet access if I want addicted to tribes... So that's like $200/month for several months, when it was in my name...

Renting a server, and donating to others...

Yeah, I've probably spent $7000-8000, just do I could hang with you scrubs.

You're welcome.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

LOL...I didn't include personal hardware, software, and internet. That was just what I gave to others, but if you include all that, it could easily come to around the same amount. Although, I wish my Original Tribes costs me $10, I spent $50 or $60 for mine.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I would have spent that much... I learned about Tribes from school. One of my classmates brought in a CD, and installed it on all of the school computers. We had LAN parties every lunch block. I searched for it for years before finding it in Walmart.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Damn, bet that was a blast! None of my friends were into Tribes, just myself. When I first started we were playing Never Winter Nights in LAN parties at my friends house, due to him having a den with a few computer towers and the only one in the neighborhood with Time Warner Cable that had the fastest internet connection speed. I think it was 20 or 25 megs at that time. Then due to myself playing other games solo and being in Kali and Steam, I was approached by someone on the Dynamix Team asking if I would like to beta test Tribes. I agreed and the rest is history ;) But they never gave me the game for free nor even offered a discount. I found my original game box, I paid $59.99 for it at Best Buy.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I doubt it was 25 Mbps back then... Maybe 256 Kbps...

When I was in college, my parents finally splurged on cable internet (Road Runner AKA AOL & Time Warner Cable)... It was 256 Kbps, which was blazing fast!

It loaded whole rows of pixels at a time when downloading pictures of kittens (if you know what I mean) instead of watching one pixel appear at a time...

Funny how carpal tunnel syndrome became a big deal, around the same time, eh? Yeah, it was from playing Tennis, sure...
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, I just called him, he said he was getting a 512 connect back then, but later upgraded to a 2 Mpbs when it was offered shortly after. He lives near one of the main offices for TW here in San Antonio. So was one of the first to get offered any upgrades.

EDIT: He's on a 1 gig now ;)