Disabling Turrets

DaRk

Disabling Turrets

Post by DaRk »

What is the point of disabling a player's turrets when they team change?

So if I was the only one setting D on my team, then I team change to make the teams even, why should they be left defenseless?
DaRk

Re: Disabling Turrets

Post by DaRk »

Well, I know that they kill me. I have no problem with this. I do not believe they were killing my teammates before however, just myself.
DaRk

Post by DaRk »

Yeah, I wouldn't even mind it just went to a generic ID with a blank name. I just hate team changing to level the playing field, then have the playing field be uneven again. Kind of makes the action of me team changing pointless.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

When turrets get disabled like that, the next person to join that team regains control of them. I thought about one time just making it so when team switch/whatever happens, they default to no one and just the team. When I put more work into it, I'll probably add that in. As it is now, I believe if a player leaves the server, that is what happens. Not sure why plas made it different for people who change teams.

http://www.br.thelandofoz.net/viewtopic ... 407#p15407
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I like the idea of them remaining at full health or being destroyed completely. If someone sets a lot of defense and drops or changes teams and all of their covered laser turrets are put into red health and disabled until someone repairs them it isn't helping anyone. It's a pain to go move d and repair the turrets and if nobody does this those turrets that aren't even functioning are also taking up the deploy count so nobody can set new d properly until dealing with them.
virus

Post by virus »

Ghost wrote:Yeah I'm not sure exactly how it works. Turrets should be owned by a team instead of a single person. This would probably prevent turret whoring for points.
Like! :clap:
[NHOP]Virus
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

Whenever I used the term "if" my dad would say.. "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." heheh But here we go... If, I protect my turrets with a blast wall(s) and weld them in place can anyone repair them?
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Only an enemy or an admin can move the welded walls. Otherwise, teammates will have to destroy the blastwall, in which case, they might as well destroy the turrets, too.

I think you need to know the history of deployable turrets to fully understand why it is how it is, and how to properly fix it.

Probably around a decade ago, maybe more, someone (probably me) suggested that players should get points when the turrets they deployed kill enemies.
This was not already the case, because points are awarded to clients, not players, and turrets don't have clients unless they are remotely controlled.
So, to work around this, plasmatic added the "deployer" property to deployable turrets, and checked it on the onKilled function when awarding points.
The problem was that when clients switched teams, the turrets wouldn't cause any damage because the team of the deployer didn't match the team of the turret, anymore.
Also, if clients disconnected, the next client to connect would get that same client id, and would suddenly own turrets that they didn't deploy, and might also be on the wrong team.
Plas's solution was to damage the turrets (since they didn't work anyway) and reassign them to a teammate when they got repaired.

Crow's idea is good... Instead of damaging the turrets, the deployer variable needs to be deleted, so the deployable turrets act like map turrets, and don't award points to clients anymore.