Labyrinth

perrinoia
Site Admin

Labyrinth

Post by perrinoia »

Please add my map to the server!

Every second, one wall is randomly selected to spin, and completes a 90 degree turn in a random direction in one second.
The randomly selected wall will not spin if there are any players, vehicles, deployables, mines, or items, near by, so it is possible to leave a trail of 'bread crumbs' to secure a path back to your base.

It is conceivable that the walls will randomly configure themselves so there is no path between the flags, but that won't last long, unless someone deploys stuff around the walls, locking them in place. :hbeat:
Attachments
Labyrinth.zip
http://i.imgur.com/HgmMDfP.gif
Compatible with 1.40 and 1.11, server side, and randomly rotating walls, make this map extremely versatile and fun, as long as you don't care about skiing.
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
browneyes

Re: Labyrinth

Post by browneyes »

WTH thats nice!
i haven't seen the map like this one :shok:
Last edited by browneyes on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

...and so is the GIF to demonstrate it.
{SW}SkyWalker

Post by {SW}SkyWalker »

That looks cool
No matter how long I stay away from this game I will never forget the stuff this game and community forged onto my heart!
virus

Post by virus »

I've played this map before. I believe it has been hosted on Plasmatic's server for quite some time. Pretty damn fun.
Send this map to Death666
[NHOP]Virus
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'm not sure if Plas ever hosted it, but I've definitely hosted similar maps myself...

I've lost count of how many different versions of this map I've made.

The first version used a ton of iblocks as the floor and ceiling, but the sheer number of objects that players would have to render caused video lag for players with integrated graphics, plus, players would occasionally get 'stuck' on the seams between iblocks, like getting your pocket caught on a doorknob as you walk through a doorway. Also, the maze was randomly generated once, then saved in the mission editor, but no walls moved during gameplay.

The second version was generated inside a pair of challs2.dis buildings... That's the massive base that looks like whoever designed it got the scale 256 times too large. I discovered two problems with that map. 1) The lighting was screwy, and depending on your video card and settings, you might see nothing at all, or you might encounter video lag. 2) The gravity was screwy, and no matter what I changed the settings to, it seemed like the whole game was in slow motion. The maze was generated each time the mission started, and due to the massive quantity of walls, it took a few seconds for the mission to load. I played with this version for a long time, starting with wall to wall mission area, then reducing the mission area, and making oob damage teleport you to the opposite side of the maze. This was buggy, as it meant you could appear inside of a randomly rotated wall, or right next to the enemy flag, and cap out the mission in seconds.

After that, I tried using multiple flat terrains. One terrain as the floor, another flipped up side down as the ceiling, and a third, right side up, a few meters above the ceiling, to hide the layout from the command map. I discovered video lag issues associated with multiple terrains, and decided to abandon that idea. I tried several other ideas with mission area boundaries in that version, including teleporting players up above the third terrain, where there were vehicles, and generators to rape.

If Plasmatic ever hosted any versions of my Labyrinth, it was probably similar to this new one, but the map was square instead of rectangular, and the bases were in opposite corners instead of opposite sides. The problem with that version, was a tiny seam in the floor and ceiling, which players could not see, but could bump into. The reason for this seam is because the object I used as the floor and ceiling is rectangular, not square, so I used 2 of them, butted up against each other.

In this version, there is no seam, because the map size is limited to one of those rectangular bases. Also, I believe this is the first version (I've shared) where the walls rotate during game play. Previously, I made all of the walls rotate when an objective was claimed, or each time a player respawned, but this time, I made it rotate one wall every second.

The map loads faster because the walls were randomly generated once, then saved in the mission, and the map is still dynamic because it changes constantly. Plus, there are fewer objects, no pesky video or gravity bugs, no seams that players get stuck on or bump into, and they still can't see anything on the command map, because the whole Labyrinth is under the terrain.

Unfortunately, this means no vehicles, including OS missiles, can fly inside the maze. Sorry, S']['U.
virus

Post by virus »

You're right. I just took a visit to his server and its just as you described. OOB are shaped in a square and has bases on the corners. Map extends beyond the OOB and built on the floor level of that building with the gravity-less map.

Are you making this map public for everyone to host? Thanks for sharing.
[NHOP]Virus
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

just edit the mission info like the x and y stuff zone ect
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Lay off the sauce, S_hift.

Yes, Virus. I attached the files to the first post in this topic, it is compatible with all servers, not just Annihilation BR. Anyone may host it.

Hell, you can even customize it if you want... Change up the bases, modify the code, etc... It's open source, freeware, and no limits on redistribution, either.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I remember the older versions of this map. I'll try to get this one added to BR asap