Re: Annihilation Training Courses

Post by virus »

I can help.
[NHOP]Virus
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

PS: Fuck kidney stones!

You pass them yet Perr? I was in E R two weeks ago this Saturday for same shit!
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

Beavis wrote:PS: Fuck kidney stones!

You pass them yet Perr? I was in E R two weeks ago this Saturday for same shit!
I had one last September.
It was more painful than my heart attack.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

So, this is my third kidney stone... They seem to tear up my urinary tract once every 2 years.

I consider there to be 3 stages to each stone.
Kidney pain (twice as bad as the worst pain you've ever felt in your life).
Bladder pain (twice as bad as the kidney pain).
Passed pain (You don't usually feel it as it leaves your body, but it cuts you on it's way out, and burns for a good week or two afterwords, like paper cuts, in your dick.

Also, in between each of those stages, it's carving up your insides like a sea urchin, and while you don't have nerves in most of those places, what you do feel, is the throbbing feeling of an infection, or blood pulsing around the swollen wounds.

This stone is past stage 2, but I haven't felt stage 3 yet, so it's either still inside me, or it snuck out without causing too much damage.

Back on topic (and to answer Ghost's question):

I've been working with crow to develop new areas or zones outside of the primary mission area.

We're using function WaypointToWorld(), which takes a command map waypoint (2 dimensions), and returns a world coordinate (3 dimensions).
The southwest waypoint on the command map is always "0 0", and the northeast waypoint is always "1024 1024".

Therefor, we've come up with a grid of waypoints outside of the primary mission area, where we will create what I am lovingly calling the "OuterLimits".

See illustration:

Our code will determine the height of the terrain at each waypoint on the grid (if there is any terrain at the waypoint).
If there is no terrain, then we skip that zone.
If there is terrain, we can spawn a pair of players on it to duel, or a bunch of players for death matches. We can create an arena, or training missions, etc...

Obviously, there will not always be eight extra zones... Some missions have really large mission areas, or have them positioned close to the edge of the terrain, and there is also a potential that holes in the terrain will be located at the test waypoints. In these cases, we may lose some extra zones.

And, if you're thinking we can create the arena where there is no terrain, you are technically correct, but consider this:
If you wander off the edge of the terrain, 2 out of 4 sides have no gravity.
Those 2 sides are typically north and east, I believe, but I'm not sure if that remains true, if the terrain is rotated.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

perrinoia wrote:I consider there to be 3 stages to each stone.
Kidney pain (twice as bad as the worst pain you've ever felt in your life).
Bladder pain (twice as bad as the kidney pain).
Passed pain (You don't usually feel it as it leaves your body, but it cuts you on it's way out, and burns for a good week or two afterwords, like paper cuts, in your dick.

I only had the "kidney pain" as the stone worked it's way down the urethra. This consisted of a pain comparable to a severe gas cramp, but more intense and it didn't go away no matter what position you try to get comfortable in. This would last for hours and then go away, only to return in a day or two.
I had no trouble once it got to my bladder or in passing the stone, but I was on a medication that relaxed the "passage" to make this easier.
Flomax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride)
(If you're not on this too, you should ask your doctor about it)

..or it could have been just because I have a very large penis. :taunt:

Here's my baby:

virus

Post by virus »

S']['U wrote: ..or it could have been just because I have a very large penis. :taunt:

Here's my baby:
When I read that and saw the top of the image, I immediately assumed it was going to be a pic of your Johnson.

That's one jagged sonofabitch.
[NHOP]Virus
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I requested flomax, but they said they can't prescribe it without imaging the stone.

I said, "Ok, let's go get a ct scan, then."

But they didn't do that. The doctor is convinced that I already passed it, and I wasn't sure enough to argue.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Yes yes like perr said, we have the room.

And I was thinking each course be designed for just one armor. They can all use the same strait iblock template, but have all of them be separate. Think of a long tunnel with 4 iblocks per section (up down left right), maybe more if the room needs more room for the exercise. I imagine most would, so for rooms maybe expand it with 2 or 3 iblocks (up down left right, going forward 2 or 3 spaces). Would be best also to make them all on their own map (Titan Course, Troll Course, Etc), and have starting position set near the 0,0 waypoint, or at least the same as the first course (like using the center position on bside). This way you don't have 8 different courses all too far apart. It will help for coding in the spawning position.

But yes my idea on the courses. 8 different courses for each armor, all of which can be selected through tab. If a player wants to learn Titan, he can select Titan training course in tab, and he will be spawned in the titan course at one of the waypoints in perr's picture. Arena / Duel / TD all use a code that scan the area for activity, so this waypoint will just be skipped for other things that spawn out there.

This is the perfect time for this, as we just got the Tribes HD base textures hot fixed. In fact I'm setting up an all in one pack to advertise with. I hear from some of my TA friends in base, that TA has been hacked bad recently, with aimbot / a more advanced HM. Many players there looking for new FPS-Z to play.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Hmm... I don't like that idea... You wanna go back to hard coding areas, but like I said, there is a potential that the map maker could put the primary mission area too close to the edge of the terrain, so the code needs to be flexible to adapt.

For instance, using my code on Scarabrae only creates 5 extra zones, because the primary mission area is large, and not centered, and the terrain is small.

Don't think about the positions, or even the waypoints as constants, because while one may be good on the first map, it might be no good on the next map.

Instead, my code will define the usable zones, and number them... (In my diagram, they are assigned letters instead of numbers, but in the code, they will be assigned numbers).

If no terrain is found at the tested waypoints, the zone will not not be defined. However, if all of the tested coordinates in each zone have terrain, then $OuterLimit[$OuterLimits++] will be defined as the waypoint in the center of the zone.

I suggest reserving the first couple of zones for group activities, such as free for all arena or team death match, and then testing the rest for vacancy/occupancy before spawning players for duels or tutorials.

In other words, 1 and 2 are reserved for multiplayer, so loop from 3 through $OuterLimits, test for vacancy, and then spawn the player on the terrain at the waypoint. If they accepted a duel, spawn the other player too, and if they choose the tutorial, build the tutorial stuff around the player.

Also, when designing the tab menu options to use these zones, I suggest using the selected client portion of the tab menu.

For instance, you pick a name from the tab menu, you'll see options to vote on them, and challenge them to a duel.
Click on yourself, and you'll see options to join the arena, team death match, or tutorials.

I also think the welcome message should mention the tutorials, if you are unregistered.

Hell, maybe unregistered players should be forced to play the tutorials, before they can join the primary mission area... That would definitely reduce the number of base killing smurfs.

Lastly, instead of choosing an armor to practice and having a separate zone for each armor, I think there should be a private zone per player, and the zone will merely adapt to suit the player's progress. For instance, start off with the climbing/jumping/flying scenario, and when the player reaches the checkpoint at the top, change the ladders to shoots and teach the player to ski to the bottom. When they reach the checkpoint at the bottom, spawn targets and give the player weapons. There is really no need to switch locations for each lesson... Just create/delete buildings each time they complete the objectives of a tutorial.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The terrain needs to exist in the zone, but it doesn't matter if the player spawns directly on the terrain, above, or below it...

I'll provide a function for creating objects, which will accept a constant vector and a modified vector...

The constant vector will be added to the position of the terrain at the center of the zone.
The first 2 dimensions of the modified vector will be added to the constant vector, then the 3rd dimension will be added to the height of the terrain at that location.

This way, you'll get to choose if you want objects to sit on the terrain, or float next to other objects, etc...