Score

perrinoia
Site Admin

Score

Post by perrinoia »

Instead, of points for kills/suicides, I think points should be awarded for damage.

Example, if you shoot an enemy, the damage dealt should be added to your score value (even decimal values).
If you get shot, the damage you receive should be subtracted from your score value.
If you collide with a base or terrain and take damage, you lose fractions of a point.
If you suicide, subtract your remaining health from your score.

There should also be multipliers, for instance, x2 for mid air shots, x2 for kill shots, x2 for headshots, x2 for flag carrier.

So if you headshot a flag carrier in midair, and it's enough to kill them, take their remaining health, multiply by 16, subtract from their score, and add it to yours.

Scoring via damage functions should not just be player vs player, though... You should get/lose points for base rape too, depending on whether the objects you are destroying belong to the enemy or not.

Likewise, if teamdamage is enabled, you should lose points for damaging teammates.

What do y'all think?
:bat:
perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Score

Post by perrinoia »

Oh, and repair guns, health kits and patches should also repair your score, so you can still rocket jump without consequences to your score (unless you get killed before you can repair).
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

I tried this one time, but it really set some players apart. Example, a really bad ass player would hit the 100s easy, where as most of the server would sit under 100, and even lots under 50/25.

I feel it helps promote a more positive environment when not being aware of how much better the player above you is. Also a reason I never added k/d stats to the server, and kept them in the clientside script.

ps: one thing i would add to a system like this though. points for each deployable you set down. other than that your system kinda looks like the old one i had. still use something like it in arena and LT.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Interesting...

I see scores larger than mine as lofty goals, so theoretically, a bigger score gap would motivate me to be a better player. And by better, I mean, more determined... For instance, if I'm struggling to keep up with campers who seem to have auto-aim, I start playing sneaky like... I choose an invisible armor and sneak past those scumbags. If the enemy is deploying shit faster than I can destroy it, I whip out my trusty jailgun, and remove them from the equation, etc...

When my score is double or triple everyone else, I whip out my pitchfork and start boosting my enemies instead of killing them.
That can be really challenging, sometimes... I'll set up turrets behind a hill, or something, then sneak around the enemy base boosting enemies over the hill.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Using these screenshots as a small example.

factoring in, midairs + damage (1 point for each kill just for example), tigga would have 199. now their highest which would of been ozzie is sitting at 55. this is not even taking into account score given / taken away for other things.

here's the next game we played for just kills, and i also would of been sitting somewhere near the 200 range. even with factoring in subtractions. if i would of had more kills i could of hit 300 range easy.

here's a game i played just 4 days ago. server started with 8 players, but during the match all the players left (cleared out the server playing with no holds). by the end of it i was killing my teammate because the server goes into rabbit mode when only one team has players (death match), so kills count on teammates. here my score would of been 235 just adding midairs and damage. his would of been 78. also not counting subtractions to score, which wouldn't of hurt me much here.

i still might think about playing with a better rating system though in the future.

ps: i really wish i would of demoed that last game. i think i missed only 3 shots all game lol. a couple of my deaths too are typing deaths.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

So, the "rating" statistic is points from damage?

Also, another idea would be a simple rank system... For example:

Code: Select all

// Creates an array of client ID's sorted from highest to lowest score. -perrinoia
function rank()
{
	deleteVariables("rank*");	
	for(%x = Client::getFirst(); %x != -1; %x = Client::getNext(%x))
	{
		%rank = 1;
		for(%y = Client::getFirst(); %y != -1; %y = Client::getNext(%y))
			%rank += (%x.score < %y.score);
		$rank[%rank] = %x;
	}
	for(%i = 1; $debug && $rank[%i] != ""; %i++)
		echo(%i @".	"@ Client::getName($rank[%i]) @"	("@ $rank[%i].score @")");
}
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

yea that whole section where arena is could be transformed into something else when players not in arena. i had thought to put a few damage stats in that section for future update now that you mention it.

also no, rating stat is based mostly on flag stats. anything flag related gets shit load of rating points. the points racked up there are just kill points, which arn't nearly as much as flag stuff. it's the rating system andrew made for 1.40.

http://www.br.thelandofoz.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6315

base uses this rating system, and it's flawed imo. maybe good for LT, but for base invo it's not as good. probably because it doesn't add in damage points. i've played many games where i stopped cappers from even touching the flag, but i didn't get as much score as others, because i didn't get the "capper kill" stat. it doesn't account for body blocks / mid airs / damage / and other things.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

One of these days, you might convince me to play in that stupid arena... LOL
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

perrinoia wrote:One of these days, you might convince me to play in that stupid arena... LOL
arena is not for everyone... :younoob:

ps: ninja edit up top.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, when I've played on servers that give bonus points for killing the flag carrier, I find myself waiting until after they pick up the flag before I fire... But then I miss, they capture the flag, and I regret that decision.