Map Rotation based on player preferences!

SGT ROCK

Re: Map Rotation based on player preferences!

Post by SGT ROCK »

DaJ4ck3L wrote:

watch the first minute rock and you will see the base you speak of.

it's in the dox map pack.

ps: watch the whole thing sometime if you haven't seen it. pretty good tribes movie.
I remember that ship... wow, long time since I've seen that. Not sure if that would work out on the broadside landscape but might be neat to try and see. Good vid too thanks !
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Those bases are pretty big.... Probably twice the size of Scarabrae bases.

I love them, though, because they have like 5 exits, one of which is a massive hanger with a vehicle station, 2 of which open to a balcony like scarabrae or newDam... 1 on deck and 1 in the bow. Plus the tower has a bunker like window, great for camping or phase shifting through, and the deck is flat, and littered with spare vehicles. Inside, is even more impressive. You've got a massive gen room, with all kinds of high tech looking features, a big armory with inventory stations and what-not... and there's even a teleport room, with teleports that get you halfway across the map (which is huge).

I'd like to see those bases used on smaller maps (scarabrae or roller coaster sized, not broadsides sized). But there's no point in making such a map if no hosts are willing to require the client side files.

Oh wait, this gives me an idea...

This server has the ability to determine which version of Tribes the clients have, right? And I think it's safe to assume that anyone with greater than 1.11 has DOX's map pack, right? So what if the server checked if any players have version 1.11 or less, and removes client side mission categories from the rotation (and tab menu)?

That way the server could host those maps when all of the players have them, and avoid them even if only one doesn't.
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

Absolutely Perr... That was an awesome base/ship, I think by the time it came around in my earlier run on tribes the players had thinned out considerably and I never got to play a match on that map where there were enough players to make it interesting. Very cool layout, I agree, love to play that with a bunch in the server. Rollercoaster map might be awesome, not too big not too small, I was thinking like in broadside it'd be nice to be able to just launch all the way to the enemy ship for hella action.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

The coolest shape I remember someone making was the broadside base with the entire middle object in the generator room removed leaving a hole linking the bottom of the base to that room. We played a few really good annihilation matches with it on the -=RD=- server where everyone had a prefab pack with all of the custom shapes at the time. It made defending the top of the base much more important.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

hmmmm, i would like to see them objects. that sounds pretty fun. bside base has so much room for improvement.

i wish krog was still around, and made like a whole new custom pack with shit loads of new shapes.

i would totally put that up on server, and make it a required download link for all players.

i mean like a huge pack, with lots of brand new base designs in it. plus we could throw oc3 / dox / etc in the pack for legacy users.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Death666 wrote:The coolest shape I remember someone making was the broadside base with the entire middle object in the generator room removed leaving a hole linking the bottom of the base to that room. We played a few really good annihilation matches with it on the -=RD=- server where everyone had a prefab pack with all of the custom shapes at the time. It made defending the top of the base much more important.
That was *Spawn*SATAN. He was teaching me how to use zed to make interior shapes, and zed came with a copy of broadsides that you could modify. I asked him to show me how to remove the warp core, the pillars in the top entrance, and the keel... I wanted the hole where the warp core was to have an air duct leading to the hallway around the flagroom, but there wasn't enough room between the floors, so he just opened it to the main room.

He also developed a program called Tribes Live, which automatically downloaded new clientside files from his server. It would periodically compare the server directory with your tribes directory, and download anything you were missing.

Anyone with that program could join any server, even the TRPG ones, without getting booted for missing files.

However, it didn't work for Star Wars mod, because they overwrote the regular shapes with StarWars stuff, so you had to have a completely separate install of Tribes for that mod.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

could you get this tribes live program?

this is the same guy as [df]SATAN?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

There is a very tiny chance that it's stored in one of my old hard drives, and an even smaller chance that he's still hosting the server with the client side files.

No, and now that you mention [df]Satan, I realize I got the names mixed up. It was *SPAWN*Devil.