About the Annihilation servers...

BlackCat

About the Annihilation servers...

Post by BlackCat »

I posted this originally on the Pushbiscuit website and Kilroy suggested to post it here since Crow and a few others do the coding for Annihilation.

As you know, the Annihilation mod isn't played like it's supposed to be played, which means, everyone rushes to get the flag from the enemy team and literally destroy everything so they can win. I don't know but I was thinking if there is a plugin to put a huge wall inbetween the two bases for like 10 minutes so that you can defend the base without anyone bothering destroying it and capturing the flag in the first second of the game and the other 20 minutes to attack and the wall just disappears. I mean this might sound kinda dumb but seriously, Annihilation feels more like The Community server now and it sucks.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Re: About the Annihilation servers...

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

haha, ohhh man, in 05-08 the mod use to be a rape fest. so much rage. some noob called c3j97 decided to nerf lots of the D and make it crazy hard to kill. this ended that era. i at some point took away part of them nerfs, making D not 4x the strength of a blast wall, but the same strength as a default blast wall. during the nerf era though, it was very common to see full map stand offs, without any chance of putting a dent in the enemy base.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

and yea it is a neat idea. something much better suited for a map or game type than a full on server mod though.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

There's several ways to do this...

If you look at the weapon training mission, it has the tower you spawn in, surrounded in triggers, and it teleports you back to the spawn point when you try to leave the tower.

Technically, you don't even need to use triggers... You can just periodically check the position of every player, and respawn them if they get to close to the enemy flag.

Another solution, would be to simply disable flag caps and base rape for the first few minutes of the game.

For the record, I hate ALL of these ideas.

I'd much rather rape the shit out of you and steal your flag in the first 15 seconds of the game.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Annihilation is so heavily biased towards base defense it's insane. I don't see any issue with early rape. Certain maps make early caps easy, others not so much. With things like repair kits that help repair invos and gens, base rape in Annihilation isn't a huge issue. Not like base, at least. And again I think it depends on the map.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

True...

Broadsides is probably the hardest to repair...

It was practically impossible before you could throw repair kits at shit...

If you had a steady stream of enemies infiltrating your base, and at least one sniper camping your solar panel, it was impossible to recover from an early rape.

But now there's a slightly better chance of recovery, as a group of teammates can make their way to the generator room and throw their repair kits at a generator. It takes at least 2 repair kits to repair 1 generator, and another to repair an inventory station. Then you have to deploy a portable generator somewhere safe before they rape your base generators again.

In other words, if your base is raped and theirs isn't, it literally takes skilled teamwork and luck to recover, even if there is only one enemy still attacking.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but it really pisses me off how uneven broadsides was designed.

One base is slightly turned, so snipers can't see directly down the entrance from their own base, but the other base isn't, so snipers can destroy anything you deploy in the lower entrance. Also, the spawn points are complete bullshit. One team has a bunch on the terrain, under the wrong base, facing the wrong fucking way... The other has a bunch in the hallways under their generator room, which is honestly the worst fucking place to spawn.

I really hate that map.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Recent base PUGs have really highlighted how badly designed T1 is in certain areas, especially with more populated servers (20+).
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Some of my fav moments in tribes is the early game rape. Back when we had a little more comp in anni this is the position that I played most, and played it very well I did. Most maps I wouldn't even let the enemy team get their gens up, or at least keep them down long enough to get a couple cap lead on them.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well, Crow, you know my thoughts on Anni. I don't play it anymore, due to way too much D that can be placed, and the strengths and weaknesses of the different types of armors and weapons each carry. It's not balanced enough like old Tribes was meant to be. It just doesn't "feel" like Tribes.

As for spawn rushing an enemies base. Someone who spawns just right and is able to change armors at an invo station fast enough to penetrate the enemies base, take down their gens so they can't set D and spam kills anything that moves in the same area you are in at that time, is another reason I don't play Anni. Which is what you described, and I actually also did when I did play. I started seeing people rage about it in chat, and then dropped from the server. Some didn't like it so much they never came back in to play the mod. This is when I decided to stop playing it, and moved to the Community LT server, in which you had no D to set, and spawned in a basic armor and weapons only. This felt more balanced and each team had the same things, besides the skills of each player. The only thing unbalanced about the game, is all the scripts people run to play it. No one, and I mean no one can continuously chain people and hit them all the time while the person being chained is flying back and forth, and no one can air disk and never miss someone, like I've been seeing a couple people who play in the server doing, and while I've been obs'n them. It's sad people have to use cheat scripts to play the game now.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

hahaha, these things are easy to do, and easy to defend against too. without cheats. it all just depends on the players skill level.