Yes please
89%
No thanks
11%

Total votes: 9

SGT ROCK

Re: Taser

Post by SGT ROCK »

virus wrote:I say change the attributes of the targeting laser. Its so forgotten.
This was suggested before... turn the targeting laser into a targeting laser ! Here's how I'd say it should work.... target laser attracts ALL team missiles/rockets within range, laser has to be steadily held on the same target for so long for action to start, laser drains energy and can be limited. It could be invisible as in infrared targeting, a second mode perhaps for the wep/tool. The user will become an instant target also if not, has to be held steady on same target to work, so the user is already a standing target, might only work if invisible. Other users / team mates can select a second mode for their rockets... (so it takes their approval basically) It could also be set to turret mode perhaps ... having the missile turrets that are functioning fire a round every so often while target laser is in Missile mode or artillery mode. If there is something in the LOS from the turret to target it would launch in an arc like artillery and rain down, or perhaps if the target is over a certain distance from the turret it launches artillery style ( arc ). Just a few more thoughts/ideas on it since it was brought up again.

"Fire on my Target" would mean a little more ...
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

That wouldn't work with missile turrets because the turrets already fire at any enemies flying in range, and their range gets extended by sensors, and the rockets automatically lock on to targets anyway... So the only thing your idea would accomplish is switching them from the target they have already locked onto, to another target, which might not be close enough for the rockets to even get to, not to mention if there is an obstruction, such as a base... Total waste of a rocket that would otherwise have found it's own target.

On the other hand, there is a training mission with 2 heavy bots holding mortar guns, which instructs you to use the command map to assign waypoints, and targeting laser to assign targets to the 2 bots, and you can make them roam around the map and destroy turrets and solar panels and crap like that. I'm not 100% sure it's possible, but it would be awesome if mortar turrets auto-fired on targeting lasers like that.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

<!>KILROY wrote:There's two Br servers running. Only one is being used. Make a new mod, host it on the other server and see how it does.
I agree...

Even though I am testing my edits before sending them to crow, I think it's a great idea to only install them on one of the two servers before confirming, not only that they work right, but also that people actually like the changes, before updating the second server.

Preferably, I'd like the changes to go on the populated server so people will actually test the updates, and if they don't like em, they can switch to the other server, and bitch about the updates in the forums, or praise me so my ego can be as big as Crow's. :trolol:
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

And it would allow you to introduce your maps or any new maps that someone submits for trial. I actually like the ideal of running something different on the 2nd server. Why run the same mod on two different servers? People will only play in one and the other is wasted. Put something different on the 2nd server so old school players have something different to try out, and hopefully it will also attract new players, but it gives more options to the game ;)
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yup... But back on topic, I switched the jailbolt from a lightning type projectile to a repair type projectile... Still looks like lightning, but calls a different function that doesn't crash the server.

Got the fake death thing working without crashing the server too...

Then I started working on the item dropping portion of the code and crashed the server again... LOL

Fucking progress, though... I hope to have this working entirely by the time I leave for vacation, tomorrow morning, and I hope to see it hosted on one of the two public servers by the time I get back, on Saturday night.

PS: Another issue I'm having is that the incapacitated player has collisions, so if you shoot someone with this gun in a narrow passage way, you probably won't be able to get past them, even though they look dead. Also, 3 seconds is definitely not enough time... So I'm going to have to use a different method than playNextAnim(), anyway.