Deployable Force Fields

perrinoia
Site Admin

Deployable Force Fields

Post by perrinoia »

Since we've reached the item data limit, perhaps we should delete regular deployable force fields, and double the item limit for deployable force field doors...

This would give us two more item data blocks to play with, since there are small and large deployable force fields.
Erowid
Site Admin

Re: Deployable Force Fields

Post by Erowid »

Why are we gutting legendz all of the sudden?

AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I say go for it. You can't really make progress without changing what's there right now. We're going to have to go through several iterations and test different things before we get to where we want to be. Also large and normal force fields don't really have a niche spot right now since players can use deployed platforms, blast walls, jump pads and now deployed crates to cover defense. I do worry that we will just end up with twice the amount of force field doors covering flags.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Erowid wrote:Why are we gutting legendz all of the sudden?
Because it's bloated.

Can you think of a good reason to keep the non-doors other than nostalgia?

Seriously, though... The only difference between doors and not doors is the doors open. As a player, it's extremely frustrating when I try to go through a force field door and find out it's not a door.

Force fields aren't even that good at protecting turrets, considering they are thinner than laser turrets. Crates are way better.
Erowid
Site Admin

Post by Erowid »

perrinoia wrote:
Erowid wrote:Why are we gutting legendz all of the sudden?
Because it's bloated.

Can you think of a good reason to keep the non-doors other than nostalgia?

Seriously, though... The only difference between doors and not doors is the doors open. As a player, it's extremely frustrating when I try to go through a force field door and find out it's not a door.

Force fields aren't even that good at protecting turrets, considering they are thinner than laser turrets. Crates are way better.
small force fields are wider than turrets. We should then get rid of the large forcefields. Small force fields are also good for offensive builder.
Death666 wrote:I say go for it. You can't really make progress without changing what's there right now. We're going to have to go through several iterations and test different things before we get to where we want to be. Also large and normal force fields don't really have a niche spot right now since players can use deployed platforms, blast walls, jump pads and now deployed crates to cover defense. I do worry that we will just end up with twice the amount of force field doors covering flags.
What progress are we trying to make??? So far we have over powered chems and no 1.40 HM protection. For the most part I like the mod the way it was, if some things do get changed they should be relatively insignificant and minor. Slow and small changes over time is the way to tune something. You two seem hellbent on changing it just for the sake of changing it.

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I would like to see some changes of the mod. Less in defenses and more of a team warfare, like Tribes was meant to be. The mod now is basically defense warfare. There's too much D that can be placed, and basically you are rushing the enemies base to try to keep their D from being deployed so you can try to grab the flag, but if the D get's put in place, you have an all out battle to just try to take the D down for the remainder of the map time, which doesn't appeal to myself, and probably not to others when I see them leave the main game and enter into the arena. It needs to be more balanced for the players that want to play against each other, or if you want to keep all the D, make it so it's easier to destroy and so the defense turrets are not as powerful to kill an enemy player like in the original Tribes turrets where you only had so many to place and within a particular area. Right now most of the defenses are isolated in an area in which the defense spams incoming enemies where they have no chance to really do anything unless the enemy spams that spot with their own people to try to take out all the D before moving to the next area with built up spamming defenses, and it's an ongoing thing over and over and over. It's gets tiresome and then people drop due to the time that is left on the map, or they enter into arena to kill time and do something different until the next map starts. When the next map starts and it hit's that point again it repeats itself over. People are starting to get bored with this and with it repeating itself for every map, they get tired of playing the game altogether and leave and go find something else that is more appealing. Which is why I don't play the mod anymore, I just observe, and this is what I am seeing from others who are no longer playing the mod also. So as for changes, yes, I'm all for it, but only if the changes are to balance out the mod more, and to make the mod more team warfare instead of turret warfare.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'll admit that force field doors are slightly less effective for offensive forking than regular force fields, but only due to the fact that if you accidentally bump into them, they disappear for a few seconds.

However, they are definitely skinnier than the the head of a laser turret. That's how I always manage to snipe the turrets without killing the force fields, when force fields are the only thing burying the turrets.

Regarding my desires for progress, I definitely am not in favor of invisible HMers, instagibbing me from platforms in the sky, which is exactly what they're doing, today. My vision for chameleons is not hiding in the hills, sniping for points, it's running through a base, opening holes in defenses. My vision for tanks is not floating through the sky like the Hindenburg, shredding opponents on the other side of the map, it's staying home and defending the flag against chameleons and ghosts.

But my vision isn't what's going to happen... It's just what I want to happen. If you have a different vision, share it. That's the porpose of these forums... We're not going to make everything posted here happen.. We're just sharing ideas and gauging the public's opinion.

Don't think that just because most of the suggestions are coming from me, that I'm gonna make all of them happen tomorrow. I don't have that much influence on this server. If I did, the server name would fit in a twitter post.