Tribes and Windows 10...

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Tribes and Windows 10...

Post by perrinoia »

There's always a way around it.

Write a looping batch script that that continuously ends task to Windows updates. Don't play solitaire... I haven't played any of the included Windows games in ages, except when offline, because I have better games that require an internet connection... Typically speaking, ads don't load in offline mode.

Since the "upgrade" is free, if it doesn't work on your machine, the only thing you've wasted is time, as you can always reinstall your old operating system. If you don't like the way Microsoft supports their new operating system, you can't complain about how they don't support their old operating systems.

There are free alternatives, like Ubuntu. There are expensive alternatives, like OSX. I imagine the amount of money Windows collects from people who want Windows 10 and don't mind subscription fees will be more than enough to keep some programmers on the payroll, who fix the major issues as they arise. That's the whole point of the new business model. The older operating systems, with their one time purchase prices, do not financially warrant future support. That's why they are no longer supported.

Should business upgrade ASAP? Hell no... But when have they ever? Most businesses still run Windows XP with disabled updates. Businesses should definitely wait until the general public vets the new operating system. This way, the bugs get fixed and businesses don't have to train as many employees on the new operating system.

Should I upgrade ASAP? Fuck yeah! I don't use my computers for anything important. I wanna stay on the forefront of technology.

If I get stuck in a soft loop that prevents me from playing tribes, I might become a more productive member of society.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Write a looping batch script that that continuously ends task to Windows updates.
True, this can be done, but not everyone understands how to code to make a script. Those that do are taking a risk releasing it online for a download, which could violate legal terms with the agreement you accept when you install Windows 10. The way around this is host it on a private server and give access to those who need the script.
Don't play solitaire... I haven't played any of the included Windows games in ages, except when offline, because I have better games that require an internet connection... Typically speaking, ads don't load in offline mode.
This could be hard to do for those who play it all the time and are used to it from the previous operating systems they used. I also play these offline, but with the new system Microsoft is using in where you gain coins and build up your level of game play with Windows 8 and 8.1, which they are used to, they will continue to do so. I also have other games that you play offline that are better to play, due to playing against the computer itself, either with one or multiple computer players.
Since the "upgrade" is free, if it doesn't work on your machine, the only thing you've wasted is time, as you can always reinstall your old operating system. If you don't like the way Microsoft supports their new operating system, you can't complain about how they don't support their old operating systems.
Well, it's not exactly "free" seeing what they are doing with it. If you do load up Windows 10, make sure you make a back or ghost image of your current operating system, so you can reload it if needed. As for supporting their older versions, they took a few good operating systems that worked perfectly and stopped a good thing. XP Pro was a nice operating system to work with, but due to applications coming out they stopped support for any operating system that didn't utilize this.
Should I upgrade ASAP? Fuck yeah! I don't use my computers for anything important. I wanna stay on the forefront of technology.

True, this is a decision we all have to make, and eventually Microsoft will stop support of this new OS they introduced, and we will have to go through it again, again. I will wait till the bugs are all worked out before any upgrade. Microsoft is not paying me to beta test this for them, so why bother. They have people on the payroll already that should have done this before it's release.
If I get stuck in a soft loop that prevents me from playing tribes, I might become a more productive member of society.
:lolz:

EDIT: For those of you who want to install Windows 10, or already tried and received the dreaded KB3081424 patch error. Here's a site that tells you how to fix it and what you should do to install Windows 10 on your current PC running either Windows 7 or 8, and those running XP or Vista:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/windows-10 ... ops-465843
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

How would I risk getting in trouble for posting 3 lines of DOS code, then instructing people to save it in a bat file and place it in a startup directory?

They do pay people to beta test, but there's no economical way to test a new operating system on every platform, and assess user experience, other than releasing it to the public, and that's exactly what Microsoft has done. However, they are smart enough to do it in tiers, so they can address major problems before the entire population has experienced them.

You make free to play sound so evil, but it's not. We used to purchase a product, and demand free service, but many companies (like Dynamix) couldn't be profitable with that business model. Now we get the product for free (distribution costs are negligible with streaming services when compared to burning discs and purchasing retail space) and pay subscription fees for service.

World of Warcraft proved this to be a successful business model. One which could sustain support indefinitely.

That's why Windows 10 commercials claim that today's toddlers will grow up with Windows 10. The business model is designed to keep supporting Windows 10 forever.

Now, if you're poor, and your shit's all fucked up, you don't have to pay for anything. You can support the developers by clicking on annoying ads.

Also, with smart targeted ads, you might actually see crap that you actually want/need. And before you turn this into an argument about privacy, let me remind you that you have none.

Facebook was founded by convincing people that all of their friends already had accounts, even if they didn't, by stealing data and photos from online college directories.

Even if you're Amish, the government knows about you, and so do corporations, the Chinese, Kim Jun Un, me...

Once upon a time, someone registered an account on my clan's forums and posted, "I want to join your clan."
I responded by super imposing her photo over her elementary school's fire escape plan, in the seat that she posted from, calling her by her full name and informing her that her school's network administrator should beef up their security. Internet privacy is an oxymoron.

PS: She was a third grade student.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Yeah I'm sure there will be a program out soon enough that blocks all the ads. I installed windows 10 last week and i have not seen one ad so idk what yall are talking about.
EvilTree{OZ}
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Try playing the lame included games from Microsoft.
Azul

Post by Azul »

On topic, I use Windows 10 and Tribes runs flawlessly. Using 1.41 and the windows 8 patch/plugin posted on here. Make sure to check the box for disable DPI/Scaling under the compatibility tab though. I've pretty much had to do that for all the programs, even microsoft office :/

Off topic, Its lame that are making you pay for the lame included games or plastering them with ads. I'm sure it didn't take that much manpower to make those games.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

No issues here. A little pop up appears when I run the game lower than native res that wasn't there in Windows 7, but it isn't a big deal and goes way after a few seconds.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Azul wrote:Off topic, Its lame that are making you pay for the lame included games or plastering them with ads. I'm sure it didn't take that much manpower to make those games.
I'm sure it took SOME man hours to add ads to pre-existing apps.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

How would I risk getting in trouble for posting 3 lines of DOS code, then instructing people to save it in a bat file and place it in a startup directory?
I won't go into details here, but when you accepted the terms when you installed Windows 10, you also accepted messing with it's coding and doing your own coding to modify it's programming. This is a new release, and with all new releases, it has it's boundaries. I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm all for it, but don't get caught doing it.
I'm sure it took SOME man hours to add ads to pre-existing apps.
X2
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Writing a batch script that repeatedly kills updates isn't modifying Windows 10's coding, it's preserving it.

The script can easily be terminated to allow Windows update to run, when no problematic updates are reported...