Tribes and Windows 10...

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Tribes and Windows 10...

Post by perrinoia »

So, I just upgraded one of my computers to Windows 10...

First, during installation, it asks permission to do all of the douchy things Kilroy mentions, and it was very easy to say no to most of it.
Once installed, the user interface changed slightly. The Windows taskbar was smaller, Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer) was pinned on the taskbar (and easily removed). All of my favorite apps were still there (shortcuts where I left them).

I opened tribes, and saw a few graphical errors in the menu screens (which I attributed to script gl, because I've seen them ever since I installed this config. However, once I joined a server and loaded the game, there was nothing but graphical errors.

The interior shapes looked squished, and occasionally flickered around, like one of those 3D movies that tries to show off it's 3D effect by tricking you into thinking something animated could scratch your corneas.

Luckily, I recognized the map, and knew approximately where the objects should be, despite their desire to jump around like Kriss Kross.

I managed to destroy all of the enemy's defenses and steal their flag, but was not able to leave their base before my graphics drivers crashed.

Getting out of Tribes was extremely difficult, as some warning messages repeatedly appeared and took control of my input devices without taking focus of the output devices.

It was very frustrating, and despite the softer warning tone that Windows 10 uses, it was still loud enough to receive complaints from my brother in the living room.

After shutting down the computer, I noticed how hot the air coming out of the vents was, and I'm pretty sure the initial problem can be attributed to overheating, but Microsoft definitely needs to make their error messages more obtrusive and less repetitive, so users understand that a problem exists sooner, and can actually do something about it rather than being casually interrupted repeatedly like a child saying, "Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, mommy, Mom, mommy, mommy, I'm on fire."
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Damn, talk about a "HOT" scenario. Your the first I've seen post about a hot issue so far.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

It's overheated before, but it was a really hot day...

I wish I knew how to open it up, so I could clean out the dust and cob webs (and maybe install liquid cooling blocks), but even after removing all of the visible screws, the casing doesn't budge.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Your graphics, is it NVIDIA based? I've been keeping up with a chat forum. Some relay 10 IS having issue's with Nvidia chips or cards, and some say it isn't, but the facts have not been found or proven yet. And it was strange your computer didn't tell you it was getting hot before the shut down, not good. Microsoft does have a bunch of bugs to work out on this OS. Different people with different hardware are having different issue's. I hope they can patch these issue's up so it will run a bit smoother. One guy even went as far to say this was a large PATCH to fix Windows 8 and 8.1 with not having a START Tab to work off. The feelings are very mixed with Windows 10 and what Microsoft may or may not be planning for it after the 1 year free upgrade (update?) with possible or not possible subscription fee's. Most are relaying they are staying with their Windows 7 for now. Even the one's who tried the upgrade, stated it was disastrous on all scales with gamming, graphics, and visual imaging, but they never relayed how old their hardware was and if it was able to run this new OS with it's demands. They switched back to 7. So many mixed feelings and discussions on this topic by the community and press, and Microsoft hasn't said much on the topic itself, and it's their own software. How sad.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Overheating did not shut down the computer automatically. I shut down the computer, because the warning messages were annoying, illegible, hidden behind other Windows, and making it impossible to use the computer.

This computer has a core i7 CPU, nVidia GeForce GTX 460M GPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and 1TB HDD.

It shipped with Windows Vista and a coupon for a free upgrade to Windows 7. I upgraded as soon as Windows 7 came out, and again, as soon as Windows 8 came out. And now I've upgraded to Windows 10.

I've experienced debilitating graphical errors immediately after each upgrade, and then resolved those issues by reinstalling GeForce driver's from their website, each time.

The issue is always the generic drivers, and sometimes I have to wait a few months for compatible drivers from nVidia, but they always come through, eventually.

If I begin to miss playing Tribes too much, prior to the release of new drivers, or an auto update that improves compatibility, I'll reinstall Windows 8, but I'm very busy this season, very patient, and playing tribes is definitely not a priority.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Update: NVIDIA has already published Windows 10 compatible drivers on their website.
Downloaded and installing now.

EDIT: Installed, and everything seems to be running crisp, now...

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I got my first Windows 10 popup ad... It made a tone that sounds almost the same as when my video card was fucking up...
PopUpWindows10.png
PS: I purchased Microsoft Office 2010 with this computer, years ago, and this ad wants me to upgrade to a subscription based Office 360...

If the version I have stops working, which it hasn't, I'll switch to Google Docs, for free... In fact, I use Google Docs more often, now, anyway, because it's easily accessible on my phone, too.

Here's the 50% deal on an annual subscription:
subscription.png
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Nice, it's working out for you. I wouldn't install Office 360, your MS Office 2010 will work much better for your needs. 360 is getting a bunch of complaints about what it does compared to other MS Office Programs. That might be why your getting the discount.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'm getting the discount because I already own an older version that works just fine, and they want to trick me into spending money for no reason. As long as free alternatives exist, nothing sort of 100% lifetime discount silk ever convince me to subscribe to Microsoft office.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Anyone having issues with the gamma being reset every time you launch Tribes in Win10?