Tribes and Windows 10...

KILROY

Re: Tribes and Windows 10...

Post by KILROY »

Sorry, wouldn't know. I won't switch to 10 until ALL the bug's are worked out of it, and even then maybe not. I'm still deciding if it's even worth the effort now by what it offer's. I still think Microsoft is coming out with this to make up for it's previous operating systems that didn't work out, Vista and Window's 8. It took them lifespans of 2 operating systems to listen to it's user's to try to come up with something that hopefully they start to like again, possibly, we will see, but they are screwing up again due to releasing it too early and not putting it through it's beta period to work out more of the bug's within it, and are using the masses to do their dirty work for them. This put's them in a new light for me now, and not sure if I will be sticking with them or moving to another competitor that takes better care of the hand that feeds it.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Fixious wrote:Anyone having issues with the gamma being reset every time you launch Tribes in Win10?
I run default gamma anyway, so I wouldn't notice.
The only problem I've had is video driver related. If I leave the computer on for a week or so, it gets really hot and the video drivers start to crash and recover repeatedly until I shut down the computer and let it cool off.

As far as business practices are concerned: I'm not sure why this has suddenly become a problem for Kilroy... Microsoft has always met their release dates, no matter the condition of their software, relying on consumer feedback to address bugs.

Apple, on the other hand, refuses to set a release date, until they are confident they've worked out every issue. This is why Apple has the slogan, "It just works."

However, that policy would not be feasible for Microsoft, as they are releasing an operating system designed for an infinite number of hardware, whereas Apple prefers customers who don't build custom PCs, and designs their operating systems to only work with specific hardware.

This is why PCs have always been cheaper than Macs. This is why PCs have always had more variety than Macs.
This is why PCs have always had more software than Macs.
This is why PCs have always had more bugs than Macs.

Microsoft will work out their kinks eventually, and I chose to upgrade ASAP so they could work out the kinks with my hardware, while it's still priority #1.

If you choose to wait until they work out my kinks, thinking it will work for your hardware too, then I hope our hardware is comparable so your strategy is successful.

PS: I've already upgraded my ASUS ET2400XVT, and am waiting on downloads to complete to upgrade my custom gaming rig.

My sister refuses to upgrade her Microsoft Surface, because she is afraid they haven't worked out compatibility yet, but I'm sure they had enough Microsoft surfaces on hand, at Microsoft headquarters, to test Windows 10 before the public release. She says she'll purchase a new Microsoft Surface when they start shipping with Windows 10, because she thinks putting it on a retail shelf implies it's bug free.

PSS: This seems relevant:
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well, I for one never relayed that I was going Apple. There are other competitors to choose from. I could go into very lengthy details about the logistics on how Microsoft is now working as a entity for the masses, but won't. I didn't say I wouldn't switch. It doesn't matter if Microsoft meets their deadline release. They released this too early, full of defaults still, when they should have released something with a better foundation to it. I'm waiting to see how this works out with them now in order to make the decision to switch or not. Talking with the masses of companies I deal with day in and day out, they will not be switching to Window's 10 due to the same issue's. Most relaying to myself that it's not profitable to switch to something that has too many issue's with it, which can and will cost business profits in order to stay functioning. This is just good common business sense, in which I understand wholeheartedly, due to my own company relaying the same thing.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Oh, absolutely... But those same companies probably switched to Windows 7 from Windows XP within the last 2 years, skipping Vista, and now they're gonna skip Windows 8.

It's definitely a smart move, from a business standpoint. If tech support and downtime will cost you money, it's too early to switch operating systems.

I use my computers for video games, Netflix, and online shopping. I am my own tech support, and downtime saves me money, so it was a good decision to test out thelatest software.

If and when businesses do upgrade, I'll be able to state my familiarity with the operating system on my resume.

I think they need to make an enterprise version without all the free to play, adware, app store shenanigans, though, or or they will definitely lose the business market, which is substantial.

They're already losing the point of sale market to Android and iOS. A lot of schools and businesses are switching to Apple.

I would not bet money on Microsoft, in the stock market, today... But if they announced an enterprise version, I'd regret that decision, because I bet you could buy their stock pretty cheap, based on their recent failures.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

True. My company did not switch to Windows 7 we still use XP Pro Business Edition as our software, and yes, if and when businesses do switch to Windows 10, you will have something to nice to add to your resume ;)

BTW...forgot to mention earlier about your cartoon's, really nice...loved them :roflz:
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

This was an interesting new article on Windows 10 on Forbes. Read what Windows 10 does by default near the bottom of the article. Makes you think if you "really" want to switch over with these details now being admitted.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... r=yahootix

Perr...respectfully request your input here, since I know you have this downloaded and have been messing with it for some time now, I'd like to hear your perspective on Windows 10 so far? What you like, and don't like. What you would consider improving on, and how, etc.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The forbes article is a heaping pile of propaganda. You, of all people, should know that privacy was an endangered species the day Al Gore created the internet, and there's nothing short of a global neutron bomb that can keep it from going extinct. Hell, you can even find Amish dick pics, if you search deep enough.

The phrase "internet privacy" is an oxymoron, and any one who tells you that a big corporation is stealing your private data might as well be posting onion articles on facebook with some comment about how it proves Donald Trump should be president.

Privacy went extinct when I was in grade school, and I've giggled every time some moronic celebrity got pissed off about their sex tape or naked selfie going viral.

If you don't want corporations to know your private data, too fucking bad. You could seriously move to an Amish village, and I promise you, you'll still get snail mail advertisements that are personalized to a profile of you stored on the internet. How do I know this? Because I saw several Amish families in a theme park, and thought, "How the fuck did they find out about this place?"

So, no... I'm not surprised nor concerned that it's "impossible" to prevent Windows 10 from sharing some "private data", and yes, I am angry that the article implies you can't limit the "private data" to anonymous usage statistics, hardware profiles, and user account related data (AKA username/password).

Now, to address my personal experience with Windows 10:

Pros:
  • Installation of Windows 10 was faster and easier than installation of any OS I've ever installed, including Ubuntu, which was pretty fucking easy.
  • User accounts are stored in the cloud, so any Windows 10 administrator can add my user account to their PC without even knowing my password.
  • Automatic updates actually fix hardware issues, relatively quickly, in comparison to any other operating system I've ever used. It almost feels like I've got a team of programmers dedicated to fixing my personal issues, and I haven't paid a dime for it.
  • The price was right...
  • User interface is many times better than Windows 7 and 8.
  • I currently only have 1 compatability issue with legacy software (The Starsiege installer from 1992)!
Cons:
  • It occasionally pops up an ad for a discounted subscription to Office 365, despite the fact that I own Office 2010 and ignore the ad over and over again.
  • It occasionally pops up a survey, asking me about my user experience, despite the fact that I've answered the survey slightly more aggressively, each time.
  • It didn't come with a free Surface Book nor Arc Touch Mouse.
With exception of the Office 365 ad, every ad I've seen thus far has appeared more like an unlocked feature of the operating system... For instance, I use google drive and drop box instead of one drive, so while I do see the option to save files to one drive, in the save as dialog box and windows explorer, I've never clicked on it to find out the pricing scheme. Although, I did just scroll past a headline in a tech blog, announcing that one drive's unlimited data storage option will soon be unavailable.

There are live tiles in the start menu, and at least one of them contains ads (the app store tile, duh).
I just checked, there are a few more that contain ads... The "News" tile is currently advertising discounted office 365, there is a tile called "Microsoft Collection" which is advertising card games, and the xbox live tile, which is currently advertising itself, since I don't have an xbox live account, but I'm sure if I did, it would advertise Halo, or something like that.

Bottom line is that I prefer Windows 10 over any other operating system, and am definitely considering switching to a Windows phone, when Windows 10 phones hit the market.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

NICE REVIEW & THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE!!

As for the Xbox Live thingy, I can say yes to the gamming ads you would be receiving ;)

And as for privacy, yes, you are correct, I do know, and your privacy was long out the window when the internet was released and each person started using it ;)

As for Windows 10, there still are some mixed feelings about it for corporate use. My company is actually testing it out in the IT department for business use to see if it will or will not be secure enough to use for what my business does. It's still a new release and has it's bug's to work out, but I think eventually it will become a notable program to start to use.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The thing I can't stress enough, is the fact that any issues I have had thus far, seem to fix themselves after a couple weeks.

So, I definitely recommend it for the type of person who is too busy sharing every aspect of their life on Facebook, Twitter, and instagram, to be concerned with obsolete concepts like privacy.

It's also perfect for non-tech savvy people, as it seems to fix itself, in a reasonable amount of time.

I would NOT recommend it for the DOD or NATO.

I would definitely recommend it for Kim Jong Un, specifically so he can document his plans to dominate the U.S.A.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

So, with those of you who switched to Windows 10....how do you like it so far as an operating system, and for gamming?